Thread: Shoe recommendations for heavy runn

Shoe recommendations for heavy runn

Hi all

Does anyone recommend a fell trainer for a heavy runner? (I'm approx 19 stone).

I'm looking for your general all rounder.... I'm tempted by more mile Cheviot pace and Reebok all terrain super OR purely due to conditions at the moment.... But I guess I should plan for conditions when it's not under 2 feet of mud and water and be prepared for hard park forest paths and dust/gravel.

Cheers all

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adam6177 View Post
    Hi all

Does anyone recommend a fell trainer for a heavy runner? (I'm approx 19 stone).

I'm looking for your general all rounder.... I'm tempted by more mile Cheviot pace and Reebok all terrain super OR purely due to conditions at the moment.... But I guess I should plan for conditions when it's not under 2 feet of mud and water and be prepared for hard park forest paths and dust/gravel.

Cheers all

Adam
    Hi Adam I can't claim 19 stone but I'm a couple of stone over where I should be and have been for 5-6 years now.

I always look for comfort and have shoes for road and off-road.

I like Nike Pegasus (there is a trail version mentioned recently on another thread) as it has a good phylon full length midsole. Great for shock absorption and if you shop around you might find some of last year's knocking about at a decent price.
    Even the trail version only has a light tread but is OK on many of the gravel dirt tracks we get around my neck of the woods in East Lancashire, but unsuitable for open moorland, and Lakeland fells.
    On a dry day, Yorkshire Three Peaks would be doable in them.

For fellier stuff I have gone for the Salomon Fell raiser. It has a good enough tread for me, a comfortable upper and feel trainer like with a low enough heel without being minimalist.

I'm comfortable running in the Lakes or the Pennine Moorland in my Fellraiser - I have also done Cross Country in it.

It's perhaps a little bit behind Walsh and Inov-8 for grip, but I'm not racing around at the front end so not a problem for me.

I have to qualify my comments because I haven't tried some of the newer brands out there. There is some interesting stuff coming on the market but I try to buy in the £50-£75 range as I don't feel worthy of a £100 + shoe so it tends to price me out of the new stuff.

On the Cheviots, my wife had a pair. They do the job, in a basic sense. To give a car analogy they are the Dacia Duster to the Mazda CX-30
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I'd recommend the Scott Supertrac RC Ultra...

It's not marketed as a strictly fell shoe, however it's got equal, if not superior grip, to the Scott Supertrac Fell shoe, and is incredibly well cushioned for a mountain running shoe. I used for a full season on the fells last year, and it was comfortable enough that I had also planned to run the Snowdonia Marathon in them (20+ miles on road, 5 or 6 miles on fell/trail).

I have had three pairs of More Miles and they are beyond rubbish, they fall appart so quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I have had three pairs of More Miles and they are beyond rubbish, they fall appart so quickly.
    were you hoping for 3rd time lucky or just a gluten for punishment?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I got a pair, and the sole fell off; complained and got a replacement pair. I glued on the soles of the first pair got them going again. both failed after about a couple of hundred km. But the problem is they fail so suddenly.

I bought another pair of a newer model, just in case they had improved, but no better.

Salomon Speedcross on the other hand are amazing, I got 1700 km out of two pairs.

I have a of yellow mudclaws 300s on over 2000Km and still going strong, albit the studs are pretty worn.

Strava is great for tracking how much each pair of shoes has done.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 26-02-2020 at 05:56 PM.

I swear by Salomon Speedcross, they're my go-to shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'd recommend the Scott Supertrac RC Ultra...

It's not marketed as a strictly fell shoe, however it's got equal, if not superior grip, to the Scott Supertrac Fell shoe, and is incredibly well cushioned for a mountain running shoe. I used for a full season on the fells last year, and it was comfortable enough that I had also planned to run the Snowdonia Marathon in them (20+ miles on road, 5 or 6 miles on fell/trail).
    Can you comment on the sizing of the Scott Supertrac RC Ultra? I am thinking of getting some and I usually buy a UK 9 but I am not sure if I should buy the EU 43 or EU 44 size in them

Well i had a UK10/Eur45 which was true to fit, i.e same as other makes.

If you go on the scott-sports website and shop the shoe, there's a size chart (appears that UK9 would be Eur44. There's also a handy "fit finder" where you can input a variety of running shoe makes/models and it will tell you which size is most likely to fit.

https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/p...=2676821040016
    Last edited by Travs; 15-04-2020 at 07:22 PM.