Thread: Clwydian Sheeptracks

Hi,
    This is back for 2022.
    27th of Feb is the date, I believe pre entry is still available on https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=734
    10 and 19 miles distances available, an awesome test of endurance and nav skills.

My question is:
    Has anyone here kept the map of the first edition (2018) and is able to share it?
    TIA
    Simo

Quote Originally Posted by Simo Caps View Post
    Hi,
    This is back for 2022.
    27th of Feb is the date, I believe pre entry is still available on https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=734
    10 and 19 miles distances available, an awesome test of endurance and nav skills.

My question is:
    Has anyone here kept the map of the first edition (2018) and is able to share it?
    TIA
    Simo
    I can't help you with the 2018 map, but I'm sure Hopp will have it

Have you reccied this (and last) year's route yet? CP5 is a whole load of fun!

I have indeed Richard, in fact I am the reason why CP5 is that much fun....
    I encountered the farmer who owns the track above it once and got told off for using it....
    Hence RO imposing the OOB.
    I've asked Hop about the map, maybe he didn't see my msg, I'll try again.
    Last edited by Simo Caps; 27-01-2022 at 10:31 AM.

I have always followed advice given to me a long time ago which was never race in a new pair of shoes without having "broken them in" first.

Apart from Mudclaws I have gone off Inov 8 in recent years as I find them two narrow and hard on the soles of the feet. However after the reports about the new X-Talon Ultra 260 V2, as beautifully modelled by Billy and Nichola on the inside covers of the FRA calendar I decided to try a pair.

I went to Run Forest in Matlock last Thursday and after a jog on the treadmill was surprised how comfortable they were especially with the much wider toe box. With discount got them for £112.50.

I took them to Cilcain on Sunday, not with the intention of wearing them. However on arrival I noticed that the recent wind had dried out the ground surprisingly well so I decided to ditch the Mudclaws and put on my new shoes. I felt a bit of a prat waiting for the start as my shoes were obvious to everyone as brand spankers. All the gear and no idea sprang to mind!

A clear sunny morning but with a bitterly cold wind saw just over 100 runners set off. With my calf still playing up, at make your mind up CP 3 I opted for the 12 miles Short Course. Fantastic running conditions over beautiful countryside saw me finish 3rd on the short course. A lack of LK and a couple of poor lines saw any chance of a better finish disappear. That's Fell Running and why we love it.

A great day out at a well run event with a delicious but very, very, spicy bean and vegetable cawl at the finish.

As for the shoes, I can honestly say that they are the most comfortable off road shoes, certainly in terms of width, I have worn. Not a hot spot or a blister.

And don't believe anyone who tells you to break a new pair of shoes in. They are talking bollocks
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 01-03-2022 at 08:35 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

And don't believe anyone who tells you to break a new pair of shoes in. They are talking bollocks
    Well now, almost 20 years ago I was given a pair of shoes to review, by the local paper (Ilkley Gazette) for which I regularly wrote about fell races.

They were the original MUDROC 290 and I wore them "out of the box" at the Mickleden Straddle - an early season race.

They were sensationally comfortable and I never wore my Walsh again. A photographer turned up to my house and took a huge colour photo of the shoes with my face somewhere in the background which duly appeared in the newspaper. I wrote my euphoric review, which the paper didn't bother to print (!) but it was viewable on the INOV-8 website for some years. I met Wayne Edy a few times and I knew he was going to transform the fell/ mountain running shoe world. He has and I applaud him.

So you see if only you had read the Ilkley Gazette you could already have had nearly 20 years of blissful running on air, but even if one arrives a little late for the party, a party is still a party.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 01-03-2022 at 08:40 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Results
    https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=1079
    and pics
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...38673316182068
    are out!
    Another edition of magical roaming around the welsh wilderness looking for sheep's tracks has come and gone!
    Last sunday in Feb folks...mark your 2023 calendar!
    Last edited by Simo Caps; 02-03-2022 at 11:03 AM.