Thread: Achey knees - strengthening

Achey knees - strengthening

So I’ve started training again after 3years or so out due to hamstring issues. I’ve found it hard on my knees (I’m 35) building my mileage, up to about 35-40miles a week.

What do people do to strengthen/stabilise their knees? It’s particularly on the inner knee on both sides sort of MCL area.

i’ve just been stricken with dodgy knee in a really similar location, after it not troubling me for ages.

I wish i could offer a magic cure, but failing that, here’s a couple of observations which might help:

just glanced at your training log:

30 mi/wk is great! but you do seem to have arrived there pretty quickly. even if you’ve been keeping yourself strong whilst your hamstrings healed, running has its own stresses, and i feel like going from 0-30 is quite intense for most of us mortals

(Same with 15 mile yomps round the Cheviot)

I see you’ve been dabbling with the BBM prescription for endurance athletes! I think it’s right to be cautious of the Nordics… I do them on the lat pulldown at the gym, and I don’t care that I look like a t*t. However, even though I’ve started on that same strength training routine, I’m currently skipping them whilst I feel pain there. Listen to your body!

In general… Just beware intensity! I know exactly how I sent mine bad (a slightly dodgy squat, followed by a 15 mile romp round the cheviot, followed by the Glaisdale race at the end of a big block of training), and I know what makes it worse (running faster than a heart rate of about 165BPM). So although it’s annoying, I’m doing nothing but mid-length, steady runs until the pain starts to disappear: I’d rather maintain my current level of fitness than risk losing weeks of training by trying to eke out a couple of seconds-per-mile doing intervals or tempo stuff.

Sorry that none of that answers the question but hope it’s food for thought.

To be fair there was a couple of months of build up it’s just not recorded!

Yeah I think it’s overuse but also a lack of stabilisation with my knee flexing inwards. Maybe weak adductors, it’s felt much better with magic blue tape in it.

It's Better for the kness when taking a walk than jogging or running, it will avoid being overused.

Over the last eight years I've really got into cycling and my knees seem far more resilient than what they were ten years ago.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!