Page 183 of 357 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    According to this article in the national geographic it’s between 50 to 100 times more deadly https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nat...an-the-flu/amp
    Absolutely its more deadly....to the vulnerable groups. Thats the whole point. The deadliness is not transferable across all age and health ranges. So yes, if you're 80 your risk of dying from Covid 19 may well be 100 times greater than for flu. But the same is not true for a healthy 45 year old. Then its about the same as influenza.
    Last edited by Wheeze; 11-08-2020 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I take your point but the current position of keeping your distance, wearing masks with remote working where possible is sort of working. Shops are opening, pubs, restaurants and gyms and whatnot. Theres even been a covid secure fell face. With the authorities able to apply the brakes every now and then - local tighter temporary lockdowns as and when required.

Experimenting with the alternative (and using the population as guinea pigs in that experiment) could lead to getting on for 500,000 deaths! I doubt even Boris could get the electorate to forget that by the next election
    If it did get to 500,000 then I imagine you would be right. This was the prediction of professor Neil Ferguson. But his model also predicted 40,000 deaths by the start of the May for Sweden (which didn't lockdown) and 96,000 by the start of June. I think their actual death figures currently stand at 5,766.

However, I agree on the need to act reasonably cautiously. I don't think we can just open it all up immediately to pre-virus levels as it will make it impossible to protect the vulnerable.

I think the local lockdowns are a blunt instrument at the moment. Instead of whole districts, it would be better if they could narrow it down to to the actual areas where the clusters are. I suspect that leafy Ilkley and Menston do not have the rates of the worst affected parts of Bradford.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 11-08-2020 at 01:07 PM.

But 163,000 deaths so far in the US says you’re wrong. That’s more than 3 times the total deaths in the Vietnam war
    I'm not wrong, it's not me that made the estimate. 163,000 deaths in the US, but you don't know how many have had the virus.

Let's take New York state. It has a population of 19.45 million and deaths of 32,847. Back in April antibody tests suggested 15% of the state had antibodies (21% for New York City). So that would mean 2,917,500 people having had the virus, making a death rate of 1.1%. But of course that is an overstatement since I am applying the death figure now to the numbers who had had the virus back in April. More have had it since. Not only that but studies have shown that not all people infected with the virus develop antibodies. Some have T cells to fight it off. so the actual IFR could be much lower.

Theres even been a covid secure fell face...
    Mine's not that secure at the mo...it's cracking up
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    If it did get to 500,000 then I imagine you would be right. This was the prediction of professor Neil Ferguson. But his model also predicted 40,000 deaths by the start of the May for Sweden (which didn't lockdown) and 96,000 by the start of June. I think their actual death figures currently stand at 5,766.

However, I agree on the need to act reasonably cautiously. I don't think we can just open it all up immediately to pre-virus levels as it will make it impossible to protect the vulnerable.

I think the local lockdowns are a blunt instrument at the moment. Instead of whole districts, it would be better if they could narrow it down to to the actual areas were the clusters are. I suspect that leafy Ilkley and Menston do not have the rates of the worst affected parts of Bradford.
    Still too blunt Muddy. Lock down by vulnerability.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    everyone has to look after their own safety. open up, let people get on with it as they see fit.
    Gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Still too blunt Muddy. Lock down by vulnerability.
    Think about it. That’s impossible.

So a fit, non-fat, non-diabetic, non-other known illness or immunity issues, sensible drinker and quite fit 35 year old can go out with his mates, do what ever he likes and get covid. And hopefully survive unscathed.

What about the doctors surgeries, hospitals, super markets, shops, pubs, cafes, travel hubs, buses, trains and whatnot this self same super spreader in waiting comes in contact with?? Bonkers

Banned
    Masks 100% of time unless eating? Or exceptions.

With extra stiff penalty for non conformance.
    Last edited by Stagger; 11-08-2020 at 01:44 PM.

And while they’re at it potentially spread the disease to others!

We’re this far in and still people don’t comprehend the very basics - this is as much about not passing covid on as it’s about not catching it,
    We're this far in and still people don't comprehend there isn't any evidence that hiding away has achieved anything except a huge economic collapse

SAGE has assessed last month that there were 16,000 deaths caused by missed medical care up to 1st May - I wonder what that figure is now.

I wonder how many deaths will be caused by economic collapse?

These alleged spikes have not produced any increase in hospitalisation, in fact the figures for deaths and those in CV wards has continued to drop, even in the areas that have been identified as having spikes.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Just consider back in April.

Circa 10,000 tests a day early April.
    3000 cases a day confirmed.

1st April a total of 29,474 had tested positive for coronavirus across the UK, with more than 150,000 total tests administered.

Yesterday's figures were 311,641 tests and only 816 positive tests.

Perspective is required or we'll never move forward.

Track and trace isn't working, because there's no one to track.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell