Page 161 of 357 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

In far east where mask wearing is habitual, I have not heard that they suffer any increased health problems. You can dissect the effectiveness of masks on a scientific level as much as you want. But on a practical level I think what has happened is that the pros have outweighed the cons which is why the government stance has changed. We are increasing our understanding of covid transmission all the time and so its not just droplet but fine aerosol suspended now. In other words the invisible vapour of our breath. Thats what the mask does...arrests the vapour.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The idea is that the mouth covering restricts the transfer of CV by catching it in the covering. So that means there is likely to be a build up in that face covering.
    Yes, but it will be your breath that is trapped inside the mask, so you will only be giving it to yourself!
    If two people meet each other and both are wearing masks, there can't be any transmission on to each others masks, as there are no droplets escaping from the masks....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    If two people meet each other and both are wearing masks, there can't be any transmission on to each others masks, as there are no droplets escaping from the masks....
    Really - so a mask is impermeable? Never heard that before. Source?

according to the attachment on my past post, the N95 mask which I see a few wearing around town don't filter on the exhale.

It also advised that wearing a surgical mask would turn you in to a "walking virus dispenser"

as for a cloth mask - it stated that they "do not filter anything"

Now you may not have read the attachment. You might disagree - fine - but do so by providing some evidence at least.

Now the attachment might be suspect, so I thought I'd check online.

While a surgical mask may be effective in blocking splashes and large-particle droplets, a face mask, by design, does not filter or block very small particles in the air that may be transmitted by coughs, sneezes, or certain medical procedures. Surgical masks also do not provide complete protection from germs and other contaminants because of the loose fit between the surface of the mask and your face.

I don't intend to get in to a back and forth - I think it's an odd policy, and an odd stage of the pandemic and I do not support it.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Witton you are misunderstanding the point (as are many). When you exhale, the air contains water in the form of a vapour and that vapour can hold suspended viruses. The mask is not providing filtration, it is restricting the distribution and reach of that vapour. Forget about filtration. Imagine more it is like going around with your hand over your mouth.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

so: first off. You want sources, but don't supply any for the quote you used. The image you posted is fake. The actual CDC guidance is here and is very clear:
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...coverings.html

This study shows that both surgical and N95 masks were equally effective in preventing the spread of influenza virus.
    This study showed that masks and hand washing were also very effective.
    This study suggests that surgical masks were more effective than home-made ones.

The timing of the decision was weird and politically driven. The WHO have been calling for their use for months: see here
    and also here
    Even the Americans were using them before us (kicking off a culture war in the process).

You might disagree with the evidence. You might disagree with the timing of the decision. But the reality of the situation is that, if you want to go shopping next week, you'll be needing some sort of face coveriing.
    Last edited by Dave_Mole; 14-07-2020 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Ignoring actual facts and experts, and making up your own facts to match your righteous beliefs, might have worked for you with Brexit Witton but I’d say you’re out of your depth with covid-19 🤔

Super Moderator
    Now now boys (and girls?) lets not get into any silly squabbling
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Stop it guys! I thought we had moved on from baited posting!

Stop it guys! I thought we had moved on from baited posting!
    I'm really not interested in that any more. I'm as sick of it as everyone else.

I was asked to supply some evidence and did so.
    Hopefully WP will read it and think about it.
    Up to him, really.

I don't think I was being provocative or baiting anyone.

So it goes....
    Last edited by Dave_Mole; 14-07-2020 at 12:59 PM. Reason: word order

Am Yisrael Chai