Page 295 of 357 FirstFirst ... 195245285293294295296297305345 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;668748]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    (you've also said "Muslim").

WP. Get straight upstairs to bed without any tea!
    the two aren't necessarily connected, although obviously southern Asia has a high number of Muslims. Alongside Buddhists and Hindus.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Was that during your trip there to see Jim Morrison's last public performance with The Doors?
    Ah The Warehouse concert in 1970. Well no.

It was in 1962 that NME published my article suggesting that Buddy Holly's death (3rd February 1959) was a good career move because, frankly, his career was then heading for the toilet and I feel the same way about Jim Morrison.

If Shakespeare had lived a little later he would, I am sure, have found a way to refer to a bloated "rock god" expiring at 27 in a Paris bath tub from a surfeit, not of lampreys but of drugs. Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it
    ?

But New Orleans? Well I've been three times so I kinda like the place (although I love the USA) but one reason why I have a soft spot for it is that it was where the second greatest American songwriter of the rock era grew up.

And so I recommend Dixie Flyer and New Orleans Wins The War off Land Of Dreams by Randy Newman.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-10-2020 at 08:21 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Was that during your trip there to see Jim Morrison's last public performance with The Doors?
    Jim Morrison "dies" 1971, the same year that Morrison's opens the Hilmore House office, warehouse and factory complex in Bradford.

ARE THE TWO CONNECTED??!!!

Jim Morrison "dies" 1971, the same year that Morrison's opens the Hilmore House office, warehouse and factory complex in Bradford.

ARE THE TWO CONNECTED??!!!
    Dunno. But your post made me laugh.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-10-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ah The Warehouse concert in 1970. Well no.

It was in 1962 that NME published my article suggesting that Buddy Holly's death (3rd February 1959) was a good career move because, frankly, his career was then heading for the toilet and I feel the same way about Jim Morrison.

If Shakespeare had lived a little later he would, I am sure, have found a way to refer to a bloated "rock god" expiring at 27 in a Paris bath tub from a surfeit, not of lampreys but of drugs. Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it
    ?

But New Orleans? Well I've been three times so I kinda like the place (although I love the USA) but one reason why I have a soft spot for it is that it was where the second greatest American songwriter of the rock era grew up.

And so I recommend Dixie Flyer and New Orleans Wins The War off Land Of Dreams by Randy Newman.
    Have you read this - set in New Orleans A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, Its very funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Is a good Vitamin D level just a lifestyle marker - of a good diet (oily fish, mushrooms) and sunshine exposure from outdoors exercise, in other words are we looking at association rather than causation.
    Vitamin D does increase calcium absorption, and there are concerns re kidney stones and vascular calcification if excessive supplements are taken. Don't take more than 10 micrograms/400 international units except under medical supervision.
    I have heard that argument, suggesting it might be association rather than causation. That possibility can't be discounted. There was a recent Spanish study however where one group of Covid patients were given doses of vitamin D, while the other group weren't. The outcomes for the first group were significantly better than for the latter.

I'm surprised that there isn't more of an official drive from the Government to combat vitamin D deficiency. What's the worst that could happen? It may be that in terms of Covid it is just association rather than causation as you suggest and vitamin D has no effect. There would still be other health benefits for bones, teeth and the immune system. Not to mention the links with improved mental health - pretty important right now. The best case could be that vitamin D is a game changer with regard to Covid and thousands of lives are saved. There is literally no downside to people taking vitamin D supplements in autumn/winter. They are safe and also happen to be cheap as chips.

I was interested in the figure you gave for dosage. That seems to be very low for winter in a northern location like the UK. I looked at my supplements and they are 25 mcg / 1000 IU as I thought - one to be taken per day. This article addresses how much you should take.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...amin-d-to-take

It says:

All things considered, a daily vitamin D intake of 1000–4000 IU, or 25–100 micrograms, should be enough to ensure optimal blood levels in most people.

4000 IU is the safe upper limit according to the Institute of Medicine (IOM). Make sure not to take more than that without consulting with a health professional.

The issue of overdose and toxicity is addressed.

The upper level of harmless intake is set at 4000 IU, or 100 micrograms, per day.

However, up to 10,000 IU per day has not been shown to cause harm to healthy individuals

That being said, very few people actually need more than 4000 IU a day.

A study of 17 thousand people taking varying doses of vitamin D, up to 20,000 IU/day, did not demonstrate any signs of toxicity. Their blood levels were still lower than the upper range of normal, which is 100 ng/ml, or 250 nmol/l.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

Oh no. Not another FRA forum recommended album to listen to. Think I'll go back to listening to The Doors

What's the worst that could happen?
    hypercalcaemia, kidney damage/failure, heart damage, weakened bones, nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea...

Government guidelines from Public Health England suggest 10 micrograms (400 iu) of Vitamin D for adults and children aged 12+ months.

hypercalcaemia, kidney damage/failure, heart damage, weakened bones, nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea...

Government guidelines from Public Health England suggest 10 micrograms (400 iu) of Vitamin D for adults and children aged 12+ months.
    You obviously didn’t read any of that article then about toxicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    You obviously didn’t read any of that article then about toxicity.
    I read the article you posted, then looked at other articles, then looked at what the NHS recommend. Then looked back at the post from a health professional on this forum. Then I posted what those recommendations are, along with the effects of too much vitamin D. This seems to offend you. Oh, well, never mind, eh?