Page 139 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3989129137138139140141149189239 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,390 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    My wife is a brain surgeon, but I don't come on here telling people the best way to carry out a posterior fossa decompression.
    Neither do I.

Someone asked how long corona can last ex vivo.

I asked OH because it was relevant to the thread and question. I echoed the correct answer “ not very long” . The explanation I gave was squiffy, I misheard, but the answer I gave was correct.

Don’t recollect anyone asking about post fossa decompression.
    If they do, you will be well placed to answer.

If you ever joined in a thread other than to insult contributors you might find the context for why some things are discussed.
    Last edited by Oracle; 03-07-2020 at 11:42 AM.

It's rather disheartening that the most populated threads are full of petty squabbling, and people who generally appear to only log on to argue with each other.

I'm not complaining really, it's just a shame that so many regular contributors appear to have little interest in fellrunning. Threads like this and the Brexit and All Lives Matter threads, which seem to revert to an endless spiral of bickering, do little to enhance the reputation of the forum... wouldn't be quite so noticeable if other parts of the forum were a little busier...

We all slate the facebook page (usually with good reason) and there has been some utter bollocks published on there over recent months. But at least there is also a healthy dose of fell talk, discussion about past races and racers, etc...

Is a bit of a shame because this place is an absolute goldmine of info and experience... but whenever I mention the forum to a non-forumite at a race, they look at me like i'm mad (may be accurate!)

Banned
    Trouble is.

For most of us fellrunning has been kyboshed by corona. Fell racing certainly has.
    Few of us live in places we can train from the front door.
    So corona has become THE topic, not just a topic.

And when corona gets discussed, many use it as a weapon to overlay political views, regardless of how it was actually affected by any decisions made. A passport to going down hill.

It’s hard to have discussions on other stuff about fellrunning when no fell racing is happening.

I have started threads on laces, pills, shoes and other things. There is a limit to how much there is to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It's rather disheartening that the most populated threads are full of petty squabbling, and people who generally appear to only log on to argue with each other.

I'm not complaining really, it's just a shame that so many regular contributors appear to have little interest in fellrunning. Threads like this and the Brexit and All Lives Matter threads, which seem to revert to an endless spiral of bickering, do little to enhance the reputation of the forum... wouldn't be quite so noticeable if other parts of the forum were a little busier...

We all slate the facebook page (usually with good reason) and there has been some utter bollocks published on there over recent months. But at least there is also a healthy dose of fell talk, discussion about past races and racers, etc...

Is a bit of a shame because this place is an absolute goldmine of info and experience... but whenever I mention the forum to a non-forumite at a race, they look at me like i'm mad (may be accurate!)
    Last edited by Oracle; 03-07-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Yes, i'm probably being a little hypocritical, is I've jumped in and out of all the threads which I've criticised above...

However... i'd like to think I've contributed to them without alluding that anybody is a moron/prick/racist/snowflake/right-wing bigot/screeching leftie/all of the above...…

I think the above topics do have their place on the forum. Various music and football forums which I am occasional members of, all have the same, and in fact they all end up the same way... squabbling and insults.

However I had always thought that those who ran on the fells were generally a good-humoured, thick-skinned bunch... It seems there are a fair amount who either...

- repeat their viewpoints ad-nauseum until everyone is sick of hearing it
    - stomp off the forum because someone has dared to have an opposing viewpoint
    - descend into insults

it's generally the kind of thing i'd expect to see on a foum full of people who hero-worship a bunch of over paid cheating footballers... if you measure your life by the performance of 11 strangers then you probably haven't got much else going on apart from bickering on a football forum...

but i'd have thought people who can voluntarily put themselves through the hardships on the hills, have a bit more about them and could laugh off opposing views, whatever their educational/political background...

Right... that's enough from me, i'll be back in the Today's Training thread...

Super Moderator
    Travs, I feel really sorry for you (and Mike T). As I said recently to a new member asking about the BG this forum used to be brilliant with a large group of members who knew each other in ‘real life’. They’d meet up at races, recce together and go out socially too. The vast majority of the people who supported both my and my wife’s BGs were met through the forum. A load came to our wedding (we met on here). Occasional trolls turned up and there was the squabbling you see on many forums but generally it was good

Unfortunately I think firstly a move over to FB and latterly a small but active group of political posters have more or less killed things. As you say no-one wants to talk fellrunning here any more. The thread I started recently was a ploy to see if we could drum up some interest but the response was disappointing. The really sad thing is most of the political posters aren’t even fellrunners. At least two are anonymous or think they are. All very sad. I’d close the forum down and have felt like that for well over six months. I knew lots of old regulars who think the same. It’s a sick dinosaur and should be put out of its misery
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I didn't really pick up on it when you posted this at the time. But I have to agree with you, it is pretty ridiculous that the Pillar 2 testing, (which is done in the community as opposed to clinical settings) has not been published at local level until now. The question has to be why ever not? People who have been looking at the small numbers of new infections in their locality have been living in a fool's paradise.

What's interesting however in the case of Leicester is that there may not be that much of a spike in actual new cases, but rather a large increase in Pillar 2 testing that has picked up cases, that weren't being picked up before. Looking at the graph in the FT article you linked to, the Pillar 1 cases have remained quite static. Apparently there has been no spike in hospital admissions in Leicester so far.
    Hospital admissions 6-10 a day, compared to 1 elsewhere - and yes, more tests, but a higher percentage of those tests were positive. So a real outbreak, with the figures at least partly hidden/delayed.

I've met many forumites… in fact most of the people I know through fellrunning have came either directly or indirectly through the forum.

There's too much great info on this forum for it to be just closed down. Some of the info you can get on the race posts is unbelievable... i'd still be trying to get out the forest section on the 2015 Black Mountains race if it wasn't for the info I found on here...!

I still think the forum is a great place... certainly superior to the facebook page in all aspects (except perhaps immediate access to results and photos). But it's definitely old-school.... I saw our friend Llani Boy make a comment on a facebook thread as to why people on there are so reliant on gps to get them round a route... you'd think he'd head-butted someone's sainted mother, judging by the response he got...

Yes, i'm probably being a little hypocritical, is I've jumped in and out of all the threads which I've criticised above...

However... i'd like to think I've contributed to them without alluding that anybody is a moron/prick/racist/snowflake/right-wing bigot/screeching leftie/all of the above...…

I think the above topics do have their place on the forum. Various music and football forums which I am occasional members of, all have the same, and in fact they all end up the same way... squabbling and insults.

However I had always thought that those who ran on the fells were generally a good-humoured, thick-skinned bunch... It seems there are a fair amount who either...

- repeat their viewpoints ad-nauseum until everyone is sick of hearing it
    - stomp off the forum because someone has dared to have an opposing viewpoint
    - descend into insults

it's generally the kind of thing i'd expect to see on a foum full of people who hero-worship a bunch of over paid cheating footballers... if you measure your life by the performance of 11 strangers then you probably haven't got much else going on apart from bickering on a football forum...

but i'd have thought people who can voluntarily put themselves through the hardships on the hills, have a bit more about them and could laugh off opposing views, whatever their educational/political background...

Right... that's enough from me, i'll be back in the Today's Training thread...
    I'd like to think that I'm thick skinned - I'm still on here - just

I also try to be good humoured - but I also care and so that sometimes maybe comes through with a touch of frustration.
    Some clearly aren't comfortable with the use of words like "prick" - it's how I speak - just me - a northern lad - I use it where others would use other words but it means the same and isn't meant maliciously. It's hard to be malicious to a hidden ID.

I just had a look through my threads started by me. A fair mix. Less running and fell related lately but I've hardly been able to run on the fells much the last two years.

I did come across one shocker though - the Cyril Smith RIP thread :O

A few gave our regards - with daz h the exception. 2 years later Danbert advised that he'd been up to no good.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I heartily agree! and look who was first to respond!

In think it is a great shame that someone saw fit to start the FB group which as far as I know has no official standing unlike this forum. Much of the running discussion must have migrated there and I believe some announcements (championships etc) are made on there. FB seems to have taken over so much of peoples lives and watered down meaningful / useful discussions and polarised opinions.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run