Page 137 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    That assumes OH has ever had more than one useful thing to say. From which you can construe that the answer is no. Or I hope not...
    A joke! And quite a funny one at that. Things are looking up.

Perhaps "Flem" would like to explain the meaning of oxymoron.
    Give or take the first three letters perhaps.
    Its far too obscure a word for me to use.
    But right up "flems" alley, or back passage anyway.!
    Ah well. Just a brief flash of humour from Oracle and then back to the darkness.

Behold the happy moron,
    Doesn't give a damn,
    I wish I were a moron,
    My God - perhaps I am!

(Anon, but sometimes attributed to Dorothy Parker.)

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I invited people to forensically dissect the information I had heard discussed.
    And isn't that what I initially did in, after having read the article, pointing out that the conclusion you had posted wasn't valid and was an over-interpretation of the results reported in the article in that it removed all the associated uncertainty? That wasn't a dissection of your choice of wording but more of an analysis of your meaning. Don't you claim to have some knowledge of statistics? If so, surely you understand the importance of the concept of uncertainty. Or is it simply that you think that there's an unwritten rule on this forum that anyone who points out a mistake of understanding in one of your posts is, by definition, a pr*ck?

You were wrong in what you posted; I politely pointed that out; you got upset and called me a pr*ck. That's about the long and short of it. But, hey, I've been around the block a few times and I'm not going to get upset or lose any sleep over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    We don't tend to hear about those who take up multiple forum IDs. One person, several personas. Something quite freaky about those that feel the need to do that and this topic has certainly flushed out a new breed of forumite that bears a strong resemblance to some longer in the tooth members, and some not seen for a while members.
    The problem is of course, Flems expressions and extracts from the unused parts of the oxford dictionay, are so similar to Graham and unlike anyone else, it is hard to reach any other conclusion! "Flem" could have added a few more "yorkshire" expressions and a little less high brow, to at least maintain an illusion of difference! Hyde sounds far too like Jeckyll.
    Oracle and Witton Park - the Hercule Poirot and Captain Hastings of the FRA Forum. (Or is it the other way around?)

Banned
    Get yer sens off ta bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Didn't the Jethro Tull man (who's name escapes me at the moment) also have a fish farm? Was buying a fish farm the rock & roll equivalent of ex footballers buying a pub back in the day? (Although I know that Roger Daltrey hasn't retired!)

Does Roger Daltrey still have his fish farms, do you know, or did he give them all away when he was just a boy? (I know he didn't write that, but his version is better than Leo Sayer's.)
    Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), I believe he was involved with salmon farming up in Scotland, whereas Roger was trout farming down in southern England. I stood in several times on his Dorset farm (covering managers holidays) and set up his rearingg farm near Rutland water. He also had his fishery in Sussex.

I could tell tales, but staying true to rock-'n'-roll "What goes on tour, stays ........".

Edit: I think he sold the farms many years back, but he had a canny business brain.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    Better than Scotland I believe: The Isle of Skye, south of Bla Bheinn , my spiritual home!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), I believe he was involved with salmon farming up in Scotland, whereas Roger was trout farming down in southern England. I stood in several times on his Dorset farm (covering managers holidays) and set up his rearingg farm near Rutland water. He also had his fishery in Sussex.

I could tell tales, but staying true to rock-'n'-roll "What goes on tour, stays ........".

Edit: I think he sold the farms many years back, but he had a canny business brain.

Were you there for my Wedding?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I used to go. I saw John Lee Hooker there.

The Troutbeck is now a Care Home

Errr, it wasn't a care home then

[QUOTE=Flem;663100]Good post (even though I do say so myself)!

Although I knew the name Bobby Day I wasn't aware that I'd actually heard any of his singing so I've just had a pleasant bit of a session on YouTube. Thanks for steering me to that. I think Ain't Gonna Cry No More is my favourite, although it's a pity about the double-negative and the generally appalling grammar of the title. The use of the word "Ain't" is so vulgar.

I have always found the business of popular music fascinating. Heroin dealers have more integrity than those who (used to) work in the record business, which in the rock 'n' roll days of cash was often organised crime.

The potential rewards for someone recording a self-penned hit song in, say, 20 minutes could be fantastic - £millions - but, as the saying goes, "where there's a hit there's a writ" or in the case of Bobby Fuller (I Fought The Law) murder (asphyxiation from gasoline after being beaten up, aged 22).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-07-2020 at 11:47 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".