Page 357 of 357 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Really sad news - coronavirus has claimed Pete Bland ��. There’s an announcement on Facebook
    Very sad.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    and they still are

....er no:

"Using a computer model, the researchers concluded that infection rates of only 2% could cause a drop in life expectancy in countries where average life expectancy is high (about 80 years).

At higher infection rates, the decline would be greater, especially in Europe and North America, according to the study published online Sept. 17 in the journal PLOS One.

"At 10% prevalence, the loss in life expectancy is likely to be above one year in high life-expectancy countries such as those in Europe and North America. At 50%, it would translate into three to nine years of life lost in high life-expectancy regions. In less developed regions, the impact is smaller given that there is already lower survival at older ages," said study leader Guillaume Marois, a researcher at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Laxenburg, Austria."

Very sad news.

I am so sad to hear this news. Condolences to family and friends.

I read a rumour about this a couple of days ago on another site but didn’t want to believe it. Apparently it infected a lot of his family although his is the only death I know of.
    Last edited by Wetherby whaler; 02-12-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    My freedom does not end where your fear begins.

I think in view of the sad news about Pete and the part he has played in the sport, the FRA and his number of friends and family that are involved as well, we should retire the thread.

My opinions still stand, but I'll keep my thoughts away from the forum now on this matter. Perhaps we all should.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Our small town cottage hospital have today announced they are closing and all patients being transferred, a covid outbreak has left them with too few nurses and staff to cope.
    This is the kind of impact the disease can have on small communities, it is not newsworthy in the big scheme of things but has a large impact on locals and their loved ones who were cared for there.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Obviously too late for poor old Pete Bland but the first vaccine has today been approved and vaccinations could start next week. Just a case of keeping our heads down until our turn and then maybe normality will start to return <crossed fingers emoji>

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I think in view of the sad news about Pete and the part he has played in the sport, the FRA and his number of friends and family that are involved as well, we should retire the thread.

My opinions still stand, but I'll keep my thoughts away from the forum now on this matter. Perhaps we all should.
    An excellent idea

RIP Pete
    Last edited by JohnK; 02-12-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Got a text message from my GP surgery today to say that they have now got flu vaccinations available for the 50 - 64 age group.

Booked in for 12.43 on Sat 5th Dec
    Turned up at 12.42 for my flu jab today which were being administered in an unused ward of the local cottage hospital. Checked in and given an A4 double sided leaflet that I was told would have some information.

I glanced at it, as I joined the queue to see the nurses, but the print was too small to read without my glasses in the dimly lit corridor so I folded it up and put it in my pocket.

Within 5 minutes I was sat with my arm exposed beside a nurse and after a few questions felt a small prick and it was all over.

Two hours later after an Aldi shop I was sat at home with a cup of tea and decided to have a look at the leaflet. I was not happy with what I read.

It was titled Flublok Quadrivalent Sterile Solution for Intramuscular Injection distributed by SANOFI

Below in a bordered box was the following in bold type.

This medicinal product does not have a UK marketing authorisation but has been given authorisation for temporary supply by the Department of Health. Flubok is licensed for use in the USA.
    As with any new medicine in the UK this product will be closely monitored to allow quick identification of new safety information.

It then went on to say how any side effects could be reported and what they might be including the probability of getting them.

If had been told that I was going to be a guinea-pig subjected to a "new" medicine I certainly would have thought twice about it.

I had assumed that I was getting a tried and tested product but this was obviously not the case. I realise that I should have read the leaflet first but the way and the circumstances in which it was handed out did not really give me that option.

If I am still alive on Monday I shall be ringing my GP Surgery. I am pro vaccine and have paid for a flu jab for the last few years.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog