Page 165 of 357 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215265 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

What Dave Mole has reminded us is that the emphasis on masks has changed over time. Comments were initially about the increased risks to the wearer which Dr Harries stated very clearly. This was lot to do with masks getting dirty when the emphasis was on preventing infection from dirty surfaces. Events have now moved on to reducing increased risks to non infected public from an asymptomatic carrier due to breath-bourne transmission. This tips the balance from non-wearing to wearing as formal advice.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    With regard to Harries comments about large gatherings, if it comes to outside gatherings, they are probably not a significant source of infection. The risk of transmission outside appears to be very small and when there has been large gatherings such as BLM marches and various raves etc there has been no noticeable spike.
    Thank you for this call to get fell races re-started.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...side-your-home

Point 8 Face coverings - not masks

Probably because if they asked for masks, it would be classed as PPE and the consequences then might open up a can of worms.

So instead they ask us to put a random piece of textile over our mouth and nose, with no defined properties or method at the point in the outbreak where we are trying to get the economy going.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    According to the BBC website "Anyone who cannot wear a covering "because of any physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability", or who would experience "severe distress" from doing so, is exempt.

So presumably, if you are in an incandescent rage about the total crushing asininity of the mask-wearing fiasco, then you could arguably be exempt under the mental illness or severe distressed loopholes! Not sure how you'd prove that (some sort of certificate?) as its a tall challenge maintaining that level of peed-off-ness without years of practice.
    After I had stopped laughing...

The Daily Telegraph headline today refers to "masks" (in offices).

The first two words of the first sentence immediately underneath says "Face coverings...

Sometimes I do despair.

I wear a buff on public transport. I always knew the unused pile I have would be useful one day and then along comes a pandemic so now I can use a fresh, nicely ironed different one every day to colour coordinate with my outfit and accessories.

I am waiting for someone to approach me with "Oh I do like your buff. Please tell me where..."

Whoo hoo!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Public transport? With a garage full of exotic imported bicycles and a luxury car at your disposal?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Can I put my mask on my shorts..?

So now finally it is being discussed.

114 new cases in the area of Blackburn with Darwen, population 148,000.

97 from the "South Asian Community".

Prof Harrison said it was a "rising tide event rather than an outbreak", meaning there were cases within specific areas in a significant community but not a single big outbreak.

"It can have the same effect because it can drive up the cases, but what we are seeing from looking at the postcode data of those cases is, in the last couple of weeks, is that what we are seeing is a single case being infected, then going back to a household and all that household becoming infected," he added.

"And when we look at the data, what we can see is clusters in a part of the town – but the clusters are household clusters.

"If numbers are not turning round and going down again by July 27, so two weeks, we are going to then have our next stage, we will go through the lockdown lifting measures and reverse them one by one until the numbers go down.

Daily Telegraph (I did cancel my subscription, but I have some time left)

The Prof is the Borough Director of Public Health
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Public transport? With a garage full of exotic imported bicycles and a luxury car at your disposal?
    A reasonable point DT so I will respond in full (groan).

The luxury car was in a different sort of garage. The kind that charges £487 to let one take it home again. And having cycled 34 miles the day before and planning 40 miles today I had to tell myself that I was not the youthful Graham Wright, who can ride 100 miles before a bacon sandwich, but instead should provide funds for ailing Northern Rail and so arrive at my garage displaying my customary gravitas and sprezzatura - rather than as a perspiring wreck.

And talking of railways: I was surprised yesterday how many seats were cordoned off as "Not In Use" by Northern Rail.

By way of contrast the first post-Covid19 steam hauled train* traveled from Crewe to Carlisle (and back) via the Settle - Carlisle today. In some classes silver service breakfast and dinner are served and you can be sure that Saphos, the operating company, will have made damn sure that no passengers will have been at risk and social distancing etc will have been scrupulously adhered to.

It is clear that franchises like Northern Rail are going to bailed out by the Government and in future will operate trains on a cost plus basis but nobody is going to bail out - in this case Saphos Trains - who would be allowed to go bust.

So Northern Rail don't need to try too hard to get passengers back - but the management of Saphos Trains most certainly do... or more pithily: where there is a will there is a way.

* 70000 Brittania. Immaculate as usual.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 15-07-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...side-your-home

Point 8 Face coverings - not masks

Probably because if they asked for masks, it would be classed as PPE and the consequences then might open up a can of worms.

So instead they ask us to put a random piece of textile over our mouth and nose, with no defined properties or method at the point in the outbreak where we are trying to get the economy going.
    Could this all be a sneaky ploy to get us to submit to wearing burkas (which I guess count as face coverings/masks/or some other euphemism)? Back door Sharia law!
    Am Yisrael Chai

From the BBC "Covid fears putting off Chinese students from UK"
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run