Page 349 of 357 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    It has been said that the best safety measures in cars would be a dagger on the steering wheel pointing at the driver's chest, and outlawing both seatbelts and brakes that are more than trivially effective.
    I am sure when my car was being serviced and I was pootling round in a complementary Smart car I drove more carefully than when I was surrounded by a ton or more of steel cage.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

An acquaintance of mine, who works for Sainsburys. remarked how they had had a marked increase in customer footfall recently, of people buying 'non-essentials' (books, cards, kitchen equipment, clothing, etc.) because presumably these customers are not currently able to purchase these items in smaller shops on their local high street. This has presented some social distancing issues within store.

He and I wondered how much better socially distanced these customers might have been visiting a myriad of smaller, less busy shops.

Still, while independent high street retailers considerably suffer the economic impact, supermarkets and on-line mega-retailers are raking it in. Ka-ching.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I am sure when my car was being serviced and I was pootling round in a complementary Smart car I drove more carefully than when I was surrounded by a ton or more of steel cage.
    If the nanny state had a preference regarding our motoring habits (or indeed climbing, horse riding, fell running, etc.) it would be DON'T, in order to save lives.

I read that Joss Naylor, after his early age back injury, was advised similarly - which he completely disregarded, thankfully.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I read that Joss Naylor, after his early age back injury, was advised similarly - which he completely disregarded, thankfully.
    Many years ago, after my old dad had had his first heart attack, the young consultant in the hospital asked him if he did any regular exercise. "I play tennis" was his reply (which wasn't strictly true - I don't think he'd played any tennis for 10 years or more). "Oh, good, that's excellent, keep it up" was the consultant's response. A couple of weeks later he went to see his GP, an old Irish guy of the old school, who asked him a similar question. Wanting to be a bit more truthful, the reply this time was "I play bowls". The old doctor sucked his teeth, shook his head ruefully, and said "Oh, no, you'll have to stop that."

What's the moral of this story? You have a choice, perhaps - 'don't tell the truth' or 'times change but not everyone keeps up with the changes'.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post

What's the moral of this story? You have a choice, perhaps - 'don't tell the truth' or 'times change but not everyone keeps up with the changes'.
    Or choose your doctor with care. My practice has a dozen GPs but I only let the hockey playing (nearly lost his licence driving his Porsche) chap near my body.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    From Prof Christina Pagel:

"Lots of discussion over fairness of tier allocation and "balance" between economy and lives.

Let's remember where we were a few months ago…

Over the summer we were average about 10 new cases / 100K people / week. Quarantine from foreign destinations was triggered if they were above 20/100K cases. The *lowest* area in mainland England right now is at 59/100K (Cornwall). Almost everywhere is over 100/100K.

The rule of 6 was brought in across England on 14th September. Manchester went into tough restrictons on 16th Sept with case rate of 100/100K. From September to November the govt was trying to "balance" the economy and lives - against scientific advice to lockdown.

They tried all kinds of complicated measures designed to keep businesses open and covid in check. It didn't work.

The week to 14th September we had 75 deaths within 28 days of +ve covid test in England. In last 7 days it's 2,831.

The week to 14th September we had 18,635 cases. In the week to 5th Nov (lockdown2) we had 139,100. Hospital Covid occupancy is 80% of the April peak and admissions are still about 1000 a day.

So... cases and hospital admissions are now coming down which is excellent. BUT almost everywhere is still much higher than we were in mid Sept. It's not "fixed". The new tiers are trying to open some things while keeping things in right direction (DOWN).

This is hard! and it sucks. And if we had a better test, trace and isolate system it would be much easier. But we don't. And until we do, restrictions are necessary and they need to be tougher than pre lockdown because pre lockdown wasn't working!

The summary is that things got badly out of control in Sept & Oct, and we still have a long way to go…... "

We have had 2 autumn seasons that have been worse in terms of hospital admissions and deaths from flu in the last 6 years and that's WITH a flu vaccination program.

But hey, let's look at the average - that's what the lockdown crew say. Average excess deaths are higher than the 5 year average (probably to conveniently avoid counting the bad winter 6 years ago)

why not look at the worst 2 years we've had in the last 6?

Because the admissions and deaths attributed to flu would be greater than what we have now.

It's slight of hand to try and justify this ludicrous policy that is indefensible, built on a misrepresentation of dodgy data.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Excess deaths analysis.jpg

You can see in the Spring the dramatic effect of the Covid, being new, and getting particularly in to places where it could cause greatest harm..

But look at the Autumn and strangely the rise in Covid is mirrored by the drop on all other causes.

Couldn't be anything to do with cardiac deaths, other respiratory deaths, cancer deaths.... being put as Covid could it?
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    We have had 2 autumn seasons that have been worse in terms of hospital admissions and deaths from flu in the last 6 years and that's WITH a flu vaccination program.
    What data are you referring to here WP?