Page 189 of 357 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191199239289 ... LastLast
Results 1,881 to 1,890 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Interesting news about Leicester and it’s perhaps unnecessary lockdown. They had 1,336 cases in July but only 7 hospital admissions for covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I for one really hope the T cell resistance is a big thing but, whilst we don’t know this yet and have no way yet of finding out, it’s not something that a best practise can be based on. The one good thing nowadays is that hospital cases and deaths are still well down which maybe gives some hope that perhaps the covid strain is weakening a bit.

All the same I still think the way we are doing things now (ignoring the shit show earlier in the year obviously) is the best way to proceed. Social distancing, masks on in shops, gradually open things up, work from home if you can and apply local lockdowns (or international ones) to fire fight. Oh and fining illegal rave and gathering organisers too
    I agree that it's difficult to put a figure on the level of T cell resistance as it is not as straightforward to test for as antibodies. My point in replying to Mike was that the Imperial Study made an estimate of total infections in the UK based entirely on antibody prevalence. Other scientific studies would dispute that.

We will have a much better idea after the winter. Sweden provides a fascinating case study. Yes they've had more deaths than their neighbours but what will happen this winter. Will they avoid the feared second wave while other countries succumb? The Swedish doctor in the article I linked to said that he didn't think the final death tally would be above 7,000. If he turns out to be right then Sweden has now come close to herd immunity despite antibody prevalence being low. But if it climbs much greater than 7,000 he will have been wrong. We will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Interesting on the Northampton plant. They were all wearing full PPE including masks.
    Are you suggesting that PPE doesn't work, so we might as well not bother?

Just a personal observation on the wearing of face coverings.

Last week I was in Wales where the wearing of face coverings is not compulsory in shops and although a few people we wearing them everyone seem to be keeping a sensible distance both in and outside.

This week back in England, where the face covering is compulsory in shops, more people seem to be also wearing them outside. However, the social/sensible distancing seems to have gone out of the window.

It is as if when people are wearing face coverings they feel as if they are safe.

Of the two different policies I certainly felt safer in Wales and not wearing a face covering.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I wish someone would tell me where the illegal raves are. At the ones I remember from c1990, when not futilely driving in a convoy from service station to service station along the M62, masks were quite the fashion. I think it was something to do with Vicks inhaler. Lots of lads with no tops on and an industrial mask or a ski mask. Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetherby whaler View Post
    I wish someone would tell me where the illegal raves are. At the ones I remember from c1990, when not futilely driving in a convoy from service station to service station along the M62, masks were quite the fashion. I think it was something to do with Vicks inhaler. Lots of lads with no tops on and an industrial mask or a ski mask. Anyway.
    A fellow raver!!!

Although i was slightly after your time... i didn't get into the music until around 1998, and my first rave was in 2000 (United Dance at Bagleys, Kings Cross)... Helter Skelter, One Nation, Slammin Vinyl, Hardcore Heaven.... Sanctuary Milton Keynes, Bagleys, Que Club, Long Marston Airfield...

And of course in Cov we had the Edge/Eclipse which in the 90's was the first legal venue in the UK...

When the Sanctuary shut down in 2004 and became part of the Ikea/Football Stadium complex, then places like Bagleys/Que Club started to disappear, took the heart out of it for me.

I was never into drugs or anything, but the music of the late 90's/early 2000's was superb. Lots of people in that era had been brought up on Britpop/Oasis/Blur... but in the schools round here it was old rave-tapes that were passed around the playgrounds and common-rooms...

Master
    If, like me, you are in the 60-69 age group, and male, this will cheer you up: you are 2.6 times more likely to die if you get Coronavirus than women in the same age group. Thank you evolution!

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...jbs_etoc_email

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Mike I'd be interested in where you get the 96% from. Have you a link?

I just smell a rat that's all. Because in the early days of the virus, almost all tests were hospital admissions ie the very ill.
    Those self diagnosing with mild symptoms stayed at home and didn't have a test.

If this 96% comes from this group of hospital admitted infections, they are the ones that would have most likely developed the anti-bodies.

Likewise I would expect the asymptomatic would be less likely to develop anti-bodies and the state hasn't got a clue who or how many asymptomatic ex Covid cases there are out there.

For example, I can well imagine if you did such an exercise on the Blackburn Spike cases, they would be unlikely to have developed anti-bodies.
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/2018...ibody-testing/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If, like me, you are in the 60-69 age group, and male, this will cheer you up: you are 2.6 times more likely to die if you get Coronavirus than women in the same age group. Thank you evolution!

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...jbs_etoc_email
    Bloomin' eck Mike. Reading your daily training/permitted exercise posts I'd assume you were a whippersnapper. Well that's really hardcore for a baby boomer- Chapeau!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Interesting news about Leicester and it’s perhaps unnecessary lockdown. They had 1,336 cases in July but only 7 hospital admissions for covid-19
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...shire-53773646

Good results to say they all didn't take it seriously.