Page 1 of 357 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned

Coronavirus

Anyone doing anything different?

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...20200304194106

I've stopped coughing into people's faces when doing renditions of the "computer says no" sketch from Little Britain.

I notice there are already talks of stockpiling and supermarket shelves being emptied. It was quite tense in Waitrose earlier, someone almost gave another customer a stern look when they took the last ripe avocado.

But seriously, my company is considering asking people to work from home - which they can without too much disruption. We're monitoring the media for government advice on the matter.

I think there's a lot of scaremongering going on, hardly going to change my life

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    No hand gel in Morrisons....
    The company I work for has an office in Bergamo, Italy. All employees except one are working from home there.
    We have also had to assess our exposure particularly to disruption to supply chain with parts manufactured in the far east.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by Lexyz22 View Post
    I think there's a lot of scaremongering going on, hardly going to change my life
    Probably true if you are young and fit. Allready ill people must be very worried.

I wonder why COVID 19 is different to SARS. Back then we referenced it by its proper name. This time around the very broadbrush description Coronavirus seems to be more common. What happens in a few years when the next Coronavirus mutation happens, will people know it is different to the 2020 variant?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I'm still expecting that I will get back to racing fitness just in time for when all public gatherings such as fell races are banned because of COVID19.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexyz22 View Post
    Some estimates of the death rate are as high as 5% - even 1% will be bad enough, given that most people will catch it. It does depend on how you work it out - deaths per number of cases at the time of catching it, or at the time of death, when the number of cases will be higher. A simple example - a person catches it when there are 10 cases goes on to die by which time there are 100 cases in total - so death rate 10% or 1%. The case doubling rate can be as short as 2 days. Difficult to over react I think if you are elderly, or have elderly folk, or have a bad chest. I do worry for some of my friends/neighbours.

Yes we probably all know someone who's over 70 with an underlying condition.

Banned
    In context average uk deaths from regular flu are 17000? a year. The figures are large.
    China didn’t get close on Coronavirus.
    Will the UK?

It is also true that immune systems in many people fight off viruses on exposure.
    So the amount that actually catch and present are already only a proportion that include the sick and the sorry who are already more predisposed to present. So the figures that imply x percent that catch it die, are misrepresenting the proportion who are exposed, never present.

We will see....
    Looks as though it came out of a government bio research lab in China Is worrying.
    Last edited by Oracle; 06-03-2020 at 09:58 AM.

Personally we are quite concerned about it, both being late 60s and traveling abroad on holiday next week (great timing!).
    I am thinking the disease will be similar to flu in fatality rates. The figures suggest there are more fatalities (percentage) with Corona virus, but this doesn't take into account we have a flu vaccination regime in UK.
    I don't know the take up of flu vaccination but 25 million vaccines are offered and most V65 and vulnerable will have had the vaccine and be out of the equation. This could be the big difference in fatalities, though I don't know how that theory stands up in other countries.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.