Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

You are a clever bloke Anthony Kay. The above is blindingly obvious.
You also appear to confuse “single breadwinner” ( of two parents, one looking after kids) with “ single parent “ ie funding of childcare often by the state in tax credits.
No, you are the one who treated single breadwinners and single parents the same:
Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
But who ever said it should be financially possible to support a family of one wage?
I'm not sure why your main response was referring to pensions, when I didn't mention them to you. But actually I agree with much of what you say, although my emphasis would be more on increasing the retirement age than on making pensions less generous. Which is why I am particularly p****d off that, due to the actions of one idiotic senior manager, it looks like I will be retiring at 62 when I would be happy to go on to at least 67, there is plenty of work for me to do, and my colleagues would all agree that I would do it well. But that's another long story . . . .

And before you start saying that this is typical of the public sector . . . my brother worked in the private sector throughout his career, but retired at 57 (!) because of idiotic managers making his life miserable. And his private sector pension must have been pretty generous to make this possible.