Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
Personally we are quite concerned about it, both being late 60s and traveling abroad on holiday next week (great timing!).
I am thinking the disease will be similar to flu in fatality rates. The figures suggest there are more fatalities (percentage) with Corona virus, but this doesn't take into account we have a flu vaccination regime in UK.
I don't know the take up of flu vaccination but 25 million vaccines are offered and most V65 and vulnerable will have had the vaccine and be out of the equation. This could be the big difference in fatalities, though I don't know how that theory stands up in other countries.
Unfortunately it looks like the fatality rate will be higher than with flu - the lowest estimate I have seen is just under 1%, vs 0.1% with flu. And Coronavirus spreads more easily, so most people will probably get it in the next 6 months or so. Most people do not get flu each year. One hope is that as the Northern hemisphere warms up for Spring/Summer it might make the virus less active - fingers crossed.