Page 149 of 357 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

He loves Britain!
    He wants to leave the EU!

I live in Portugal
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can I ask, politely and sincerely, why free movement is not good?
    You've heard Oracle's answer.
    Which makes full and complete sense of having a points-based immigration system, like our government have introduced, which encourages only highskilled workers. You know, doctors and the like.

He won't get this, because he has no sense of irony.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    You really are not very bright are you Dave?

Provided we have a policy to train the number we need, there isn’t a problem, or contradiction. It allows for exchange. I deplore Australia’s nett theft of some types of professionals.

Actually there isnt a problem on numbers even. Just stop the ones screwing the system by retiring at 59 on full pension, you know, like most doctors. nurses and teachers and make them work to retirement age unless a proper actuarial reduction at value is made. *huge*. We would have 10 percent more!

Also charge pro rata on time served for the eyewatering cost of tax payer funded training if they choose to go to Australia. or go private. So we have the funds to train more.

What we must stop is the mass flow that leaves other countries without the young people needed to build a future, or pay for their old people, also causing accommodation price problems here, and increasing derelict property abroad. Mostly trash the euro, and EU so it equalizes the problem causing the flow.

I love Europe and care about Europeans, Which is why I hate the euro and EU.

The goal is to make everywhere in Europe equally financially attractive. Not to cope with the fact that the euro prevent that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    You've heard Oracle's answer.
    Which makes full and complete sense of having a points-based immigration system, like our government have introduced, which encourages only highskilled workers. You know, doctors and the like.

He won't get this, because he has no sense of irony.
    Last edited by Oracle; 04-07-2020 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can I ask, politely and sincerely, why free movement is not good? From my rudimentary understanding of capitalism, and from reading Adam Smith, I understand free trade = good. If free trade = good then why doesn't free movement = good?
    The argument on free trade is questionable. Let's put it this way. Anti-dumping duty was widely welcomed when Steel industry was hard hit.
    It's seen as a strategic industry.
    The real question was should we be most worried about steel imports from China, or from Eastern Europe, where we couldn't take any protective measures to protect a strategic industry.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

There you go, Marco, two straightforward and clear answers to your question.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    There you go, Marco, two straightforward and clear answers to your question.

That didn’t mention free movement at all, which is what he asked about.

But then, you accept any answer as straightforward and clear provided it doesn’t offend your credo whether or not it addresses the question.

My answer was comprehensive, straightforward and clear, Economic migration is a problem for both emigrant and immigrant states. A symptom of a problem, not a cure of one. Free trade does not need free movement. That is EU dogma bollox.
    Last edited by Oracle; 04-07-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Bye bye, have a nice break.
    Off you toddle.
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Nos da!

WP, re worries about steel imports from Eastern Europe or China, short answer is both as they do not adhere to EU practice thru production. Result DEATH.

Oracle, various problems with cheap foreign labour, they send the money they earn back to their own country. and plan for the future e.g. QS with multinat uk co, with child, maternity ;eave, spends it in home country while building house in home country with hubby, then says ahm no comin back, nothing to do with leaving their country bereft of resource/talent just working the system as per the norm in the competitive world (including public service employees). Out for a run with my pal a couple of years ago, he's a blether, talks to any & everyone, we see a group of guys in hi viz around the elec pylons, turns out they are a group of phillipinos, they come over work for a few months, live in caravans, head home taking what ever money they can. I think this is a terrible way to live, away from family for months at a time, taking money out our system, oh but its capitalism, the system you love, oh and I'm 58 and retired.

A snappy and to the point summary of how ‘well’ Boris & Co and handled coronavirus so far...... https://twitter.com/bydonkeys/status...930758656?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    WP, re worries about steel imports from Eastern Europe or China, short answer is both as they do not adhere to EU practice thru production. Result DEATH.
    I agree but disagree.
    We also resulted in death when our industry was developing and so we developed our processes and working practices. A balance has to be struck to allow these industries overseas to also develop, because not having them will also result in death. It's getting the balance and so tariffs can be seen as a restriction of trade, but also a rebalancing.
    They can also be very political. In footwear for example, tariffs and anti-dumping duties introduced on China in 1997 were a political move to buy support from some southern EU nations and some of those tariffs are still in place.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell