Page 238 of 357 FirstFirst ... 138188228236237238239240248288338 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,380 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    Not a problem unless it's you, but please keep being positive, someone has to be☺
    Not a problem if it is me. I don't fear it or death.

Happy as Larry and maga positive thanks ��

So invent a test which is 100% accurate.

Dare you.
    Double dare you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    So invent a test which is 100% accurate.

Dare you.
    Double dare you.
    I'm a welder fabricator not inventer.

Don't need a test.

Either your poorly and you recover, or you don't.

Life is good to me but when my turn comes off I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Some say the Heneghan article is almost 2 months old. That is true, but the article was written after local lockdowns in Leicester and Blackburn with others imminent.
    A local rise had been identified and it was a word of caution from the Prof. What was causing the rise and what about the knock on effect? It wasn't visible then and it hasn't materialised even now. Could it be false positives.

Roll on two months and more are taking this seriously with the BBC, Sky and other outlets starting to ask questions about the false positive rate, including an MP raising it in the Commons this week.

Professor Henegehan continues to suggest there is cause for concern.

Some may also suggest that the rate of infection has increased since. That may be true. But PHE latest surveillance report 18 September 2020 assesses the incidence per 100,000 population in Bolton, the worst area as 212.7.
    So just over 0.2%

The maths are still the same.

Let's say your area is clear. There is no virus in the community. You test 1000 people randomly. No one should show positive.
    You only need a false positive rate of 0.2% and it would yield 2 positive cases.

That would be enough to put you at the top of the England COVID league table alongside Bolton.
    Was talking about this.
    Apparently 0.2% is a bad rate for a test

The 'Let's Get Back' advertising campaign by NHS Test and Trace, which had been running from 30th July until (I believe) very recently, included a 60 second TV advert. In the advert, the only spoken words (also written on the screen) are: "Testing is free, quick and vital to stop the spread of coronavirus. So let's get tested, and get back to the things we love." The adverts that I have seen make no mention whatsoever (as far as I have seen) of the tests being limited to people who have symptoms of Covid-19 (although there is a graphic at the end which says "Feeling Unwell? Get a free test now." - on-screen for the last 2 or 3 seconds). One of the purposes of the campaign, apparently, was to "encourage everyone to get a free test as soon as they get symptoms", but the TV adverts I have seen make no mention of 'symptoms'. The advert seems to have had a lot of airtime.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...et-a-free-test

On September 17th, Dido Harding, the head of NHS Test and Trace (a political appointment), speaking to the House of Commons Science and Technology Committee, said "“I don’t think anybody was expecting to see the real sizable increase in demand that we’ve seen over the last few weeks". Quite what the expected result from running the TV advert was, if not to see a real sizable increase in demand, is not at all clear to me.

I will refrain from making any other comment on the above, but I will bring to people's attention the following.

The top leadership of NHS Test and Trace includes several senior figures brought in from retail, commerce and industry, but only one public health expert, a leaked structure document reveals.
    [...]
    The full “wider leadership team”, of around 80 posts, includes several other PHE experts, but no current public health directors, and no-one who has recently worked in public health locally.
    [...]
    The person who is listed as advisor to Baroness Harding, Alex Birtles, worked for TalkTalk as a product and commercial director until spring last year.

https://www.lgcplus.com/services/hea...rt-15-09-2020/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    Don't know about that but they would make a fantastic case study, close grouping, no masks ,shouting and yelling, if only someone had got their contact details to see how they get on in a few weeks.Could compare them with the extinction rebellion lot who mainly wore masks.

Blackburn last week.
    BwD.jpg

and Oldham has just changed from this.

Community testing scheme Oldham has a coronavirus testing facility in the town centre. Testing is free and available to everyone, even if you are not displaying symptoms. The centre is open seven days a week, you can walk-in and don’t need a car to attend.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

For anyone struggling with the false positive issue, it isn't about having a test 100% accurate because as some learned forumites have highlighted that isn't feasible.

It is about being aware of the issues and taking measures to ensure potentially misleading data isn't acted upon.

This might help.
    https://www.hdruk.ac.uk/projects/false-positives/
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

It is about being aware of the issues and taking measures to ensure potentially misleading data isn't acted upon.
    No it isn't.
    It's about constantly trying to undermine attempts to control the virus because you're"sceptical" about it. In the last weeks you have repeatedly posted videos which describe C19 as "normal flu", which describe face coverings and social distancing as"useless" and are now going on about testing not being of value because of false positives, which are extremely low.

Meanwhile, infection rates continue to climb. But I imagine that's entirely because people are using face coverings, which"have potential to spread the virus" because people have to touch them, and nothing to do with opening up pubs and workplaces.

If you want to see what an unchecked virus looks like, have a look at Brazil.