Page 130 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,300 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I can only speak with certainty about myself and those I know - but my partner and I started changing our behaviour quite dramatically in early March, and I was advising those I know - club members, B+B owners, yoga attendees - to do the same; there will have been plenty of others doing this I'm sure. Of course there were those who refused to change their ways except where they had to, but they will have still been reducing their risk, even if they tried not to do so.

The situation in the US shows what can happen if you let it.
    I think that is the minority reaction Mike.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...t_of_March.pdf

look at slide one on transport use. No real drop off until after lockdown and the first to taper off was the tube.
    It doesn't tell the whole story of course, but schools only started closing W/C 16th March. My wife works in a factory of 250 and when she finished for holiday on 20th March the only provision was hand sanitiser stations around the shopfloor. All was as normal in the place.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

The track/stadium near me (one of the few tracks open in the Midlands) is hosting a couple of pilot open events on the 2nd & 3rd weekends in July. All above-board and in conjunction with EA.

No spectators, but will be streamed online. Track distances only up to 400mtrs (I expect as people then are confined to a single lane), as well as a selection of jump/throw events.

Online entry. If anybody is interested in entry details then let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Pedantic to a high level
    Maybe you'll think it pedantic of me to pick you up on your misuse of the word pedantic, but here goes anyway.

I repeat what I said in my earlier post - you took something which had uncertainty attached to it and you removed that uncertainty completely. It isn't being pedantic (even at a low level) to object to that. It isn't being pedantic to want to differentiate between the concepts of possibility and certainty, and it isn't being pedantic to object to the embellishment (or perhaps I should say positive misrepresentation) of scientific findings.

I do take some pleasure in being pedantic on some occasions, but in this case I was merely being correct, and wished to see a modicum of integrity and rectitude from people who were commenting on an important issue.

So, pedantic, no. I would, however, have accepted insufferably pompous. (After all, I'm just trying to fit in on this forum.)

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Ps - my thoughts are gleaned from OH, who ran a biotech lab as tech director, so knows a thing or two!
    Well, now. (I was going to start with 'Mmmh' but decided against it.) Forgive me for pointing out that the above doesn't mean that everything you post is factually correct though, does it?

Do you remember this (partial) exchange, on the "Todays permitted exercise!" thread?

[START]
    26-03-2020, 11:30 AM #17
    Oracle : "Wife says typically wont last longer than 72 hours on tissue. It’s a non encapsulated RNA virus. She should know as a biotech science director, that uses live virus. It can last longer on surfaces than tissues."

27-03-2020, 06:37 PM #62
    Mike T : "I think it does have a capsule, or envelope .... "

27-03-2020, 08:48 PM #63
    Oracle : "Sorry mike, I asked again: I actually misheard her. I Was not paying enough attention, Its precisely because it has a vulnerable phospholipid envelope ie encapsulated it does degrade relatively easily, and it is vulnerable to such as alcohol. [...] It’s the non encapsulated ones that are harder to destroy."
    [END]

It's all very well having ready access to expertise but if you don't pay attention when listening to what the experts are saying then perhaps that ready access is less useful that one might suppose!

Second-hand understanding of something is often a simplified, if not simplistic, understanding, with little depth or breadth and of limited scope. There's nothing wrong with this per se. I would say it's important, however, for the limitations of such understanding to be recognised and acknowledged by the person putting it to use.

It's all very well having ready access to expertise
    He's a multi-millionaire, economics expert (both macro- and micro-)who photographed the dark side of the moon for NASA (all hush-hush, like). In his spare time he is friends with experts in radiocarbon dating, Boris Johnson and, apparently now, virologists. He's not averse to trotting out the odd Neo-Nazi trope, then denying it.

You'll soon see why I gave up posting on here....
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I think that is the minority reaction Mike.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...t_of_March.pdf

look at slide one on transport use. No real drop off until after lockdown and the first to taper off was the tube.
    It doesn't tell the whole story of course, but schools only started closing W/C 16th March. My wife works in a factory of 250 and when she finished for holiday on 20th March the only provision was hand sanitiser stations around the shopfloor. All was as normal in the place.
    Certainly lockdown worked:

https://www.mrc-bsu.cam.ac.uk/wp-con...infections.png

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    How do they know how many infections there were at lockdown when they were only conducting about 5,000 tests a day at the time?

Banned
    It’s true , I misunderstood what she said once.
    I own up when I make errors.

But the point I made was valid. The topic was how long can corona last ex vivo.
    The answer is not very long, as i relayed. The explanation was squiffy. Not the assertion.

Would you care to argue with what I just said Graham?

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Well, now. (I was going to start with 'Mmmh' but decided against it.) Forgive me for pointing out that the above doesn't mean that everything you post is factually correct though, does it?

Do you remember this (partial) exchange, on the "Todays permitted exercise!" thread?

[START]
    26-03-2020, 11:30 AM #17
    Oracle : "Wife says typically wont last longer than 72 hours on tissue. It’s a non encapsulated RNA virus. She should know as a biotech science director, that uses live virus. It can last longer on surfaces than tissues."

27-03-2020, 06:37 PM #62
    Mike T : "I think it does have a capsule, or envelope .... "

27-03-2020, 08:48 PM #63
    Oracle : "Sorry mike, I asked again: I actually misheard her. I Was not paying enough attention, Its precisely because it has a vulnerable phospholipid envelope ie encapsulated it does degrade relatively easily, and it is vulnerable to such as alcohol. [...] It’s the non encapsulated ones that are harder to destroy."
    [END]

It's all very well having ready access to expertise but if you don't pay attention when listening to what the experts are saying then perhaps that ready access is less useful that one might suppose!

Second-hand understanding of something is often a simplified, if not simplistic, understanding, with little depth or breadth and of limited scope. There's nothing wrong with this per se. I would say it's important, however, for the limitations of such understanding to be recognised and acknowledged by the person putting it to use.
    Last edited by Oracle; 02-07-2020 at 09:33 AM.

Banned
    Presumably you don’t post because you have little to say.

You are also adept at twisting, or not so good at reading.

I worked on contract to ESA ( not NASA) at the time of investigating optimal entropy coding for images in limited capacity channels , inevitable in image dumping from Behind the moon.

ESA are investing in Leicester by the way - despite brexit

I also did hush hush defence stuff. Many do. It’s a shame the epidrmiologists are not nearly as good at modelling as we had to be. But then empty vessels and all that.

I Didn’t say I was friends with Boris, I said I had spoken to him for a significant time outside the Institute Of directors annual conference at the Albert hall. Waiting for the event to start.

My OH Is a virologist and molecular biologist.

Etc.

Suggest you try reading.
    I don’t do neo nazi. I object to the way the EU in general and Germany in particular beggars it’s poorer members.

Like many you mischaracterise those with whom you disagree. I pointed out EU money flows provable in target 2

And on economics - if you’d listened to my COVID investment suggestions 2 months ago you’d be 25 percent up by now. Proof of the pudding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    He's a multi-millionaire, economics expert (both macro- and micro-)who photographed the dark side of the moon for NASA (all hush-hush, like). In his spare time he is friends with experts in radiocarbon dating, Boris Johnson and, apparently now, virologists. He's not averse to trotting out the odd Neo-Nazi trope, then denying it.

You'll soon see why I gave up posting on here....
    Last edited by Oracle; 01-07-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    How do they know how many infections there were at lockdown when they were only conducting about 5,000 tests a day at the time?
    Presumably using well known statistical methods - and the deaths peaked shortly after the lockdown, supporting their conclusion. The very sharp and dramatic response to lockdown is my point - some are saying it made no difference.