Page 186 of 357 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

And the reason we’re not doing that molehill is because hospitals get overwhelmed with covid cases, their staff get infected, can’t work and the hospitals get even more overwhelmed. The herd immunity plan has been shelved here based mainly on that. I appreciate that Sweden this far has fared quite well on a sensible social distancing plan but their population is much thinner on the ground than the U.K., outside of Helsinki, their general population are much much more likely to respect and follow the rules and, even then, they’re not out of the woods yet by a long stretch either

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    And the reason we’re not doing that molehill is because hospitals get overwhelmed with covid cases, their staff get infected, can’t work and the hospitals get even more overwhelmed. The herd immunity plan has been shelved here based mainly on that. I appreciate that Sweden this far has fared quite well on a sensible social distancing plan but their population is much thinner on the ground than the U.K., outside of Helsinki, their general population are much much more likely to respect and follow the rules and, even then, they’re not out of the woods yet by a long stretch either
    Helsinki? When I went there last year it was still in Finland.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Helsinki?

I think you mean Stockholm.

This is an interesting article by a Swedish doctor. He does think they're out of the woods. Time will tell.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-s-perspective

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Not no deaths but certainly very few. The latest weekly ONS bulletin came out yesterday, which gives causes of death mentioned on the death certificate. In the week ending 31st July, there were 183 deaths involving Covid in England, which is 2.2% of all deaths. In Wales there were 10 deaths - 1.9% of the total. For comparison purposes 12.5% in England and Wales included Influenza and Pneumonia (summer flu) on their death certificates.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ding31july2020

The figures have almost certainly dropped since. The daily Covid death totals in NHS England hospitals is now down to single figures.
    Ok so it appears that the first wave is leveling out so surely all our efforts should be focused on containing that leveling out and hopefully controling it and avoiding a resurgence rather banging on about a second wave Which we can't have before the first wave is over by which time there may be some answers as to what we are dealing with as it is still all conjecture and speculation. Let's get on with life using the common sense approach rather than panic measures.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Haha in my defense we've been watching a Nordic noire crime series on Netflix, Bordertown, which is based in Finland. Stockholm yes 🙄

Striking a balance is not necessarily the same as going back to how we were and letting covid run riot. I think the world has already learnt a lot from this pandemic and how to control situations and local outbreaks better, we will learn even more every week that goes by.
    Happy as I am sitting here doing nothing, I am now appreciating that somehow the country and world will need to function again - or starve - because people cannot be supported to do nothing for ever.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

But that is exactly where we’re now at - we’re carefully getting on with things, carefully getting out and carefully striking a balance

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Not no deaths but certainly very few. The latest weekly ONS bulletin came out yesterday, which gives causes of death mentioned on the death certificate. In the week ending 31st July, there were 183 deaths involving Covid in England, which is 2.2% of all deaths. In Wales there were 10 deaths - 1.9% of the total. For comparison purposes 12.5% in England and Wales included Influenza and Pneumonia (summer flu) on their death certificates.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ding31july2020

The figures have almost certainly dropped since. The daily Covid death totals in NHS England hospitals is now down to single figures.
    Indeed a Prof from Reading Uni has just been on discussing the fact that Flu has been ahead of Covid as cause of death for around 2 months and the gap is widening.

Interesting that the policies in place for managing COVID should be effective against flu.

I'm awaiting calls for a flu lockdown.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I was just about to post that too Muddy Dog, a very interesting article by an ER doctor in Sweden, do please read it, it isn’t long.
    https://app.spectator.co.uk/2020/08/...XS54Yp3eGgp-zY
    On balance I am now for the Wheeze protocol of letting it spread amongst the young and fit and let each of the rest of us protect ourselves as we see fit. Maybe lots of teenagers will be a bit relieved that they don’t have to visit granny every Sunday, who knows, but they are taking one for the team.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetherby whaler View Post
    I was just about to post that too Muddy Dog, a very interesting article by an ER doctor in Sweden, do please read it, it isn’t long.
    https://app.spectator.co.uk/2020/08/...XS54Yp3eGgp-zY
    On balance I am now for the Wheeze protocol of letting it spread amongst the young and fit and let each of the rest of us protect ourselves as we see fit. Maybe lots of teenagers will be a bit relieved that they don’t have to visit granny every Sunday, who knows, but they are taking one for the team.
    Appears a reasonable logic.

Wheeze is an old fashioned long practicing doctor. He is very knowledgeable and well read on this subject.