Page 91 of 357 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

You are a clever bloke Anthony Kay. The above is blindingly obvious.
    You also appear to confuse “single breadwinner” ( of two parents, one looking after kids) with “ single parent “ ie funding of childcare often by the state in tax credits.
    No, you are the one who treated single breadwinners and single parents the same:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    But who ever said it should be financially possible to support a family of one wage?
    I'm not sure why your main response was referring to pensions, when I didn't mention them to you. But actually I agree with much of what you say, although my emphasis would be more on increasing the retirement age than on making pensions less generous. Which is why I am particularly p****d off that, due to the actions of one idiotic senior manager, it looks like I will be retiring at 62 when I would be happy to go on to at least 67, there is plenty of work for me to do, and my colleagues would all agree that I would do it well. But that's another long story . . . .

And before you start saying that this is typical of the public sector . . . my brother worked in the private sector throughout his career, but retired at 57 (!) because of idiotic managers making his life miserable. And his private sector pension must have been pretty generous to make this possible.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Just been thinking how washing your hands for extra time every day was a complete RED herring or load of bollocks.

We are talking an airborne virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Just been thinking how washing your hands for extra time every day was a complete RED herring or load of bollocks.

We are talking an airborne virus.
    Surely the airborne particles may land somewhere that you perhaps will touch!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Ha ha ha NARR, not unless you are over 65 ????

Sadly it's not bollocks Stagger. The virus gets out in fluids such as saliva. Of course if you cough some of the fluid is a fine aerosol which someone else can breath in. But the biggest load will be in larger gobbits that land on surfaces or get smeared on the hand if the cougher covered their mouth....ready to smeared onto other surfaces which another person can then touch. It's why some authorities insist on face masks AS WELL as washing hands.

Personally I think gloves are more important than masks in public places. And a damn sight less scary looking!

Not when worn over yer head

😂😂 daft sod!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    I would certainly be far better off if none of my income had gone into the NHS and I had relied on private health insurance (actually, thus far, pay as you go would have been even cheaper).
    I have a nephew with cystic fibrosis. Any sensible insurer would conclude that he is an unacceptable risk. Never mind, we will just consider him expendable if it saves the rest of us some money.
    What's wrong with the good will of the public Gej? That's what charity is. And it relies on voluntary contributions unlike the NHS.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Setting aside the fact that most people who opine on PMI have no practical knowledge of it, the other minor matter is that it generally isn't until you are on your death bed that you can actually do the accurate sums - by which time it is, alas, a little late in the day to revise your options.
    But it's not my opinion Graham that PMI should be compulsory.