Page 138 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Mercury summed it up in “death on two legs”

[QUOTE=Graham Breeze;663117]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Good post (even though I do say so myself)!

Although I knew the name Bobby Day I wasn't aware that I'd actually heard any of his singing so I've just had a pleasant bit of a session on YouTube. Thanks for steering me to that. I think Ain't Gonna Cry No More is my favourite, although it's a pity about the double-negative and the generally appalling grammar of the title. The use of the word "Ain't" is so vulgar.

I have always found the business of popular music fascinating. Heroin dealers have more integrity than those who (used to) work in the record business, which in the rock 'n' roll days of cash was often organised crime.

The potential rewards for someone recording a self-penned hit song in, say, 20 minutes could be fantastic - £millions - but, as the saying goes, "where there's a hit there's a writ" or in the case of Bobby Fuller (I Fought The Law) murder (asphyxiation from gasoline after being beaten up, aged 22).

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Errr, it wasn't a care home then
    Well obviously not. Obviously.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I could tell tales, but staying true to rock-'n'-roll "What goes on tour, stays ........".

Edit: I think he sold the farms many years back, but he had a canny business brain.
    Ian Anderson, that's the man. I saw Jethro Tull in Frogner Park in Oslo in the early 1990s (a really laid-back affair and, for me at least, a very drunken one) and, even though I was (still) a lot fitter then than I am now, I remember being really impressed at how he bounced about the stage and just seemed to have enormous stamina. (He did disappear off stage every now and again, though, to leave the rest of them to perform a number without him. Perhaps he was getting an oxygen hit.)

Did Roger Daltrey have a canny business brain or a cannery one? (That joke would work better if he'd had a sardine farm.)

Go on, tell some tales. (Go on, go on, go on, go on, have a cup of tea.) "What goes on on tour" isn't the same as "what goes on in the fishery management office", so I'm sure you must have some leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Get yer sens off ta bed.
    Well now. Let me see if I've got this right. We have a person who seems not to believe that the moon landings took place, another person who seems not to know the difference between the words 'could' and 'would' and who, furthermore, seems to think that anyone who does is a pedant, and a third person who seems to believe that there exists conclusive scientific proof that the Turin Shroud is genuine, or at least is not a fraud. These three people seem to be united in thinking that I'm a moronic pr*ck only interested in pedantry and with no cognisance of the scientific method and with no understanding of scientific evidence. Mmmh. I think, on reflection, I'm rather pleased to have that Holy Trinity ranged against me! I'd be very worried if they were singing my praises. And, on that note, I think I'll retire to bed.

seem to be united in thinking that I'm a moronic pr*ck
    it was anonymous actually, but that shroud has now been lifted
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Well now. Let me see if I've got this right. We have a person who seems not to believe that the moon landings took place, another person who seems not to know the difference between the words 'could' and 'would' and who, furthermore, seems to think that anyone who does is a pedant, and a third person who seems to believe that there exists conclusive scientific proof that the Turin Shroud is genuine, or at least is not a fraud. These three people seem to be united in thinking that I'm a moronic pr*ck only interested in pedantry and with no cognisance of the scientific method and with no understanding of scientific evidence. Mmmh. I think, on reflection, I'm rather pleased to have that Holy Trinity ranged against me! I'd be very worried if they were singing my praises. And, on that note, I think I'll retire to bed.
    Well that made me smile.

And what's the Forum for but to amuse, to inform, to intrigue and to display la bête humaine.

Banned
    Nay nay sir. At no point did I add the word “moronic” to your considered description!

I merely pointed out that yours ( and perhaps your alter egos grasp) of the less travelled parts of the oxford dictionary made you a suitable candidate to explain to Mr Mole that “posting to say he does not post” might attract the word oxymoron, in HIS case give or take the first three letters.

I would also care to point out that “ flem” has yet to take part in discussions on scientific evidence so perhaps select the right mask for the message! So says the forums bête noir!

Last edited by Oracle; 03-07-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    So they have been hiding the local pillar 2 data!

https://www.ft.com/content/301c847c-...b-8e66933d423a
    I didn't really pick up on it when you posted this at the time. But I have to agree with you, it is pretty ridiculous that the Pillar 2 testing, (which is done in the community as opposed to clinical settings) has not been published at local level until now. The question has to be why ever not? People who have been looking at the small numbers of new infections in their locality have been living in a fool's paradise.

What's interesting however in the case of Leicester is that there may not be that much of a spike in actual new cases, but rather a large increase in Pillar 2 testing that has picked up cases, that weren't being picked up before. Looking at the graph in the FT article you linked to, the Pillar 1 cases have remained quite static. Apparently there has been no spike in hospital admissions in Leicester so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    My OH Is a virologist and molecular biologist

My wife is a brain surgeon, but I don't come on here telling people the best way to carry out a posterior fossa decompression.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    My wife is a brain surgeon, but I don't come on here telling people the best way to carry out a posterior fossa decompression.
    Brevity is indeed the soul of wit.