Page 348 of 357 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350 ... LastLast
Results 3,471 to 3,480 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    ..... apart from the high, and increasing, number of excess deaths.

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static...nd-latest.html
    and check out the breakdown of where and why and I think you might find it's the consequences of lockdown.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Just been recommended to me - I might watch over the weekend.
    https://mises.org/library/covid-cult
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

I still don't know anyone who has tested positive for Covid 19!
    There is the couple I used to run with, and their daughter; a chap I used to do a Broga class with; a local S+C coach; a local clothes repairer I was just about to get to replace a zip for me; lots of the workers at a well known local sports shop - 2 pairs of shoes from them are still lying unopened on the floor; several others in the local club .... and the partner of a running mate down in Suffolk died from it.
    Last edited by Mike T; 27-11-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Yeah we’ve got a chap just down the road that had it, four of our friends have definitely had it and several are fairly sure they had it (but at a time the government weren’t testing) one of my clients at work was killed by it, one of my work colleagues recently had it, another at work had it in March. And that’s just people I know

I know my uncle - he died of it and then the test came back negative.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetherby whaler View Post
    There is always an increase in respiratory deaths among old people in January and it has always been put down to mixing around Christmas, no reason why this year should be any different except that for some reason death from a seasonal respiratory illness seems no longer to be considered a normal event. Did anyone worry last year when they had a sniffle on Christmas Day but still hugged granny?
    Every year there is indeed a huge increase in hospital admissions and deaths from flu/pneumonia around/after xmas/new year - due to people and their bugs mixing indoors for long periods. We do seem to have accepted this, but perhaps we shouldn't have - a bit like accepting car deaths before seat-belts/speed limits/drink-drive limits - just because we accepted deaths in the past is not a reason to continue to do so.

As to how we address this post Covid - more research into flu vaccines would be a start - their efficacy is pretty limited, despite which huge numbers of doses are given each year, resulting in large profits. Having said that, I have had it every year for over a decade, though I have yet to do so this autumn/winter, as the risk of catching Covid is a GP's surgery or a pharmacy is considerable at the moment.

And even without Covid, maybe we should not hug grannie over xmas if we have a sniffle.

Interesting point about car deaths Mike. Although road deaths have decreased significantly over the decades one argument is that we don't get the full impact of better safety measures because people drive to a perceived level of risk. In other words people drive with less care and attention or display more reckless driving behaviour because they feel more protected by air bags, seat belts and other safety kit. If all these were suddenly removed we might actually see a decrease in deaths as people would be much more frightened of the risks. Now apply the same reasoning to the current covid situation....

[QUOTE=Mike T;669945]Every year there is indeed a huge increase in hospital admissions and deaths from flu/pneumonia around/after xmas/new year - due to people and their bugs mixing indoors for long periods. We do seem to have accepted this, but perhaps we shouldn't have - a bit like accepting car deaths before seat-belts/speed limits/drink-drive limits - just because we accepted deaths in the past is not a reason to continue to do so.

As to how we address this post Covid - more research into flu vaccines would be a start - their efficacy is pretty limited, despite which huge numbers of doses are given each year, resulting in large profits. Having said that, I have had it every year for over a decade, though I have yet to do so this autumn/winter, as the risk of catching Covid is a GP's surgery or a pharmacy is considerable at the moment.

And even without Covid, maybe we should not hug grannie over xmas if we have a sniffle.

So you think it’s worth shutting down the economy and destroying culture, sport, tourism, entertainment indefinitely? Good luck with funding the NHS in that scenario. Single people and those without a granny need a life too.
    My freedom does not end where your fear begins.

we accepted car deaths before and we accept it now. We didn't ever consider stopping people driving while we came up with a way to reduce or even eliminate the number of deaths from car accidents.

We are social animals. On here note how most enjoy that camaraderie from sharing a race experience, recceing a leg of the BG, the FRA annual dinner, the team events ranging from the British Fell Relays to the Bunny Run Relays are treasured.
    TEAM - together each achieve more.

The idea that we should stop getting together at Xmas because coming together can in some exceptional circumstances lead to a person's death from a number of lurgies is warped in my opinion.

Getting together and sharing experiences, love and affection, exchanging ideas.... if life isn't for that then what is it for?
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    Interesting point about car deaths Mike. Although road deaths have decreased significantly over the decades one argument is that we don't get the full impact of better safety measures because people drive to a perceived level of risk. In other words people drive with less care and attention or display more reckless driving behaviour because they feel more protected by air bags, seat belts and other safety kit. If all these were suddenly removed we might actually see a decrease in deaths as people would be much more frightened of the risks. Now apply the same reasoning to the current covid situation....
    It has been said that the best safety measures in cars would be a dagger on the steering wheel pointing at the driver's chest, and outlawing both seatbelts and brakes that are more than trivially effective.
    Last edited by Mike T; 28-11-2020 at 10:18 AM.