Page 293 of 357 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295303343 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,930 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Be careful WP or you'll be branded a racist, like I was, for just telling it as it is.

I recall during the early weeks of lockdown mentioning that I found it odd that there were no figures on the ethnicity of those testing positive.

Boy did I get it.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    I wish there were clearly defined thresholds for moving between tiers. Here in Derbyshire Dales we are just about to move into T2 despite levels here being around 1/2 those in neighbouring areas also moving to T2. This suggests either we shouldn't be moving or other areas should have moved earlier. I appreciate we are still very luck living where we do but this is the first time that I have felt slightly angry at the restrictions.
    Local Authorities get more financial support from Government.

We are seeing them push in some instances to be moved up a tier and then add the £500 in for quarantine support and there's an uncomfortable short-term incentive building here.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Be careful WP or you'll be branded a racist, like I was, for just telling it as it is.

I recall during the early weeks of lockdown mentioning that I found it odd that there were no figures on the ethnicity of those testing positive.

Boy did I get it.
    I've asked the question, or suggested you might say. I don't know other areas as well.

I can see many of the Uni areas at the top.

But in my town, which has been as high as anywhere in the UK, I recognise the hotspot areas as those areas that are predominantly muslim asian ethnicity.

I can also see that seems to be the case in Rossendale although it's harder to see as precisely because it's a smaller area with smaller overlapping pockets.
    The west of the valley seems to have more cases than the East.

When I then see the local matrons comment about 45+ on a zoom call from a home it seems there is something in that locally at least.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I haven't seen breakdown by ethnicity of the casualties. Just age.
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...020_update.pdf

https://www.ifs.org.uk/inequality/ch...9-than-others/

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discove...anual-workers/

Some of the reasons for increased risks in BAME communities are that there is a disproportionate number BAME people in healthcare, who are thus exposed; a disproportionate number also live in sub-standard, overcrowded houses and work in low-paid jobs, where there is a lack of PPE.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The number of Covid-related deaths in England over the past seven days involving individuals who were under 60 and without a pre-existing condition was zero.
    Haha as a 63 year old I’m somehow not reassured by that

Although I do get outside a lot and should be packing a fair amount of vitamin D - I saw something the other day saying 80% of covid hospital admissions/ICU patients/deaths (I can’t remember which) had low vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Haha as a 63 year old I’m somehow not reassured by that
    Well you only look 59 to me!

(Although last time I was in New Orleans a waitress in a bar insisted I produced my ID to prove I was over 18 - so appearances can be deceptive.)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 30-10-2020 at 12:01 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...020_update.pdf

https://www.ifs.org.uk/inequality/ch...9-than-others/

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discove...anual-workers/

Some of the reasons for increased risks in BAME communities are that there is a disproportionate number BAME people in healthcare, who are thus exposed; a disproportionate number also live in sub-standard, overcrowded houses and work in low-paid jobs, where there is a lack of PPE.
    Interesting Dave - scanning through the Manchester Uni report is the up to date one.

There seems to be focus on particular areas of analysis though, such as deprivation, type of job... and I understand that, it clearly plays a part.

But there are two possible factors I can think of that don't seem to get covered, unless I've missed it.

Take the national picture, where London seems to have had greater exposure by lockdown in March and hence in the current up tick other urban areas are leading the way.

Likewise locally to me, by 23rd March the South Asian community may have been more sheltered. They are less likely to go clubbing, pubbing, and perhaps also less likely at mass gatherings outside of their own community.

Since June, they have perhaps been catching up.

The second point is the tendency to follow the guidance. I don't like it, disagree with much of it and yet I still follow it. Other than a few minor infractions, I have followed throughout.

But the local south Asian community here hasn't. There are plenty of takes that have made the local press, BBC NW even - and for those that did, there are others that haven't.

Ultimately, that seems to be where 80% of the problem seems to be in Blackburn and local politicians burying their head in the sand isn't going to help resolve it.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Interesting contrast between Blackburn and Loughborough.

Here the Covid cases are concentrated in the area around the University. Loughborough also has a substantial South Asian community, mainly on the far side of the town centre from the University, where there is no concentration of Covid cases.

Blackburn obviously needs to get a university.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Although last time I was in New Orleans a waitress in a bar insisted I produced my ID to prove I was over 18
    Was that during your trip there to see Jim Morrison's last public performance with The Doors?

Loughborough also has a substantial South Asian community, mainly on the far side of the town centre from the University, where there is no concentration of Covid cases.
    Seems to be the same in Nottingham, where the University area is at the center of an outbreak in an ethnically diverse city.

Looks to me as though there is a local issue in the Blackburn area which isn't apparent elsewhere.
    Which raises the question: is it to do with ethnicity, or something else?
    ....it's all downhill from here.