Thread: Coronavirus

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Slightly off-topic, I know...
    But surely that is what makes the Forum so interesting? And what a busy, busy Forum today and not too much about Covid-19.

Which gave me time to reflect on the use of Over and Over in a current TV advert. And who, 62 years after it was written, is getting the royalties for a song that was thrown away by Bobby Day as the B side to this singer/composer's one major hit Rockin' Robin. And here is the mystery or as Noel Coward might have said, "extraordinary how potent cheap music is".

Bobby Day (Born:1932) had been in the Hollywood Flames and wrote their 1957 and only hit, Buzz-Buzz-Buzz (#11 in [/I]Billboard). He then went solo and wrote and recorded Little Bitty Pretty One which only reached #57 but made more money from the Thurston Harris version (#6). In 1958 he wrote and recorded his one big hit Rockin'Robin (#2) b/w Over and Over (#41). After 1958 he never had another Top 40 record and died in 1990 (aged 60).

So just a two hit wonder who had his time in the sun for a couple of years? But no...

In 1965 the Dave Clark Five recorded Over and Over and it went to #1 in Billboard. In fact it was the biggest selling record the DC5 ever had in the USA of their 24 Billboard Hot 100 entries.
    In 1972 the Jackson Five took Little Bitty Pretty One to #13
    In 1972 Michael Jackson took Rockin' Robin to #2.

So the publishing royalties from these should have earned Bobby Day a million dollars and more.

And right now, 30 years after he died, Over and Over is the soundtrack to a TV commercial and still making money for someone, "cheap music" or not.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-07-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".