Page 134 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Slightly off-topic, I know...
    But surely that is what makes the Forum so interesting? And what a busy, busy Forum today and not too much about Covid-19.

Which gave me time to reflect on the use of Over and Over in a current TV advert. And who, 62 years after it was written, is getting the royalties for a song that was thrown away by Bobby Day as the B side to this singer/composer's one major hit Rockin' Robin. And here is the mystery or as Noel Coward might have said, "extraordinary how potent cheap music is".

Bobby Day (Born:1932) had been in the Hollywood Flames and wrote their 1957 and only hit, Buzz-Buzz-Buzz (#11 in [/I]Billboard). He then went solo and wrote and recorded Little Bitty Pretty One which only reached #57 but made more money from the Thurston Harris version (#6). In 1958 he wrote and recorded his one big hit Rockin'Robin (#2) b/w Over and Over (#41). After 1958 he never had another Top 40 record and died in 1990 (aged 60).

So just a two hit wonder who had his time in the sun for a couple of years? But no...

In 1965 the Dave Clark Five recorded Over and Over and it went to #1 in Billboard. In fact it was the biggest selling record the DC5 ever had in the USA of their 24 Billboard Hot 100 entries.
    In 1972 the Jackson Five took Little Bitty Pretty One to #13
    In 1972 Michael Jackson took Rockin' Robin to #2.

So the publishing royalties from these should have earned Bobby Day a million dollars and more.

And right now, 30 years after he died, Over and Over is the soundtrack to a TV commercial and still making money for someone, "cheap music" or not.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-07-2020 at 06:27 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Who the hell wants to blah on about a wretched virus when they can have Breeze posting about rock ‘n’ roll? Some very odd folk about
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Who the hell wants to blah on about a wretched virus when they can have Breeze posting about rock ‘n’ roll? Some very odd folk about
    Haha. Is the Dave Clark 5 technically rock n’roll though 🤔

Super Moderator
    Hey, it’s not all about Van Morrison

Super Moderator
    Anyway I’ve got some gardening to do. With a bit of luck when I get back we’ll have had a story about Clapton, Hendrix or James Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Haha. Is the Dave Clark 5 technically rock n’roll though ��
    Well it certainly wasn't music. Hence their popularity in the USA.

But Mr Clark was one of the sharpest guys in the business. He produced all their records and leased them to record companies and retained all the rights. I also think he paid his band members a salary and kept all the royalties for himself. He later bought the rights to Ready Steady Go since when he has been able to lease the footage to every nostalgia TV show - of which there have been many. And his musical Time (with Cliff Richard!) made more money

Most pop/rock stars were dim, just bothered with "the music" and were robbed.

Mr Clark didn't care about music but just the money and he is as rich as Croesus.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-07-2020 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Anyway I’ve got some gardening to do. With a bit of luck when I get back we’ll have had a story about Clapton, Hendrix or James Brown
    You mean the Jimmy Hendrix that played in Ilkley?

Absolutely true!

James Brown's later career was interesting, although he didn't age well.

https://www.anthropology.northwester...tus/brown.html
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Super Moderator
    Anyone who wears tweed is okay by me

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    No, you were saying he was a prick and a troll.
    Which is all part of a reasonable and fair debate.

Funny things, double standards.
    I don't know why I should bother, but my prick comment was about those on the forum who feel the need to have more than one presence. The point could have been made with their established identity.

It goes back many years and was a reason given for a long standing admin stepping down. I think you might remember.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell