Page 110 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Interesting to have a read through the England Athletics website this afternoon...

There is a framework in place for a return to track & field competition. There are obviously a number of caveats in there, and absolutely no guarantees, but looking towards some kind of return to competition in mid-July.

The main caveat being training activity starting by mid/end-June. Whether the current restricted training for 6 people applies to this, or whether they are referring to unrestricted training, i have no idea.

Also completely dependent on overall government lockdown/restriction policy.

Still, it gives us hope...!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Interesting to have a read through the England Athletics website this afternoon...

There is a framework in place for a return to track & field competition. There are obviously a number of caveats in there, and absolutely no guarantees, but looking towards some kind of return to competition in mid-July.

The main caveat being training activity starting by mid/end-June. Whether the current restricted training for 6 people applies to this, or whether they are referring to unrestricted training, i have no idea.

Also completely dependent on overall government lockdown/restriction policy.

Still, it gives us hope...!
    I think it's a non-starter. The information they have sent out to clubs is a horrendous series of obstacles that most have given up on.
    It's as if it's to try and prevent activity rather than aid getting the sport moving again.

Can't see any T&F this summer unless they manage to stitch up some opportunities for the higher end athletes behind closed doors.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Track athletics could be a problem, but there shouldn't be any difficulty enforcing social distancing from javelin throwers or hammer throwers.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I know that one or two local clubs with their own/shared track facilities have began re-asserting their rights to their exclusive club nights again.

My group within our club are not yet planning to begin group sessions yet... for one the group is too big to take any advantage of the "6 people" restrictions at present, and in any case our track is not yet open and no opening date has been put in place.

I note the Old Crown Round has now been cancelled in mid-July. I had held out some slim hope it may have been on... assuming accommodation is allowed to open as planned in July, i still hope to travel to Keswick and have a 30-odd mile run planned to finish off the Wainwrights...

I may be speaking out of term here, and i have absolutely no insider knowledge of what may or may not be going on...

But given that gyms are looking to be open again in July, all sorts of facilities seem to be re-opening, a lot of sports re-starting, social distancing seems to be a case of do as you please... you'd like to think that the athletic powers-that-be were lobbying hard to get training/competition back up and running (pardon the pun) within some kind of reasonable timescale...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I may be speaking out of term here, and i have absolutely no insider knowledge of what may or may not be going on...

But given that gyms are looking to be open again in July, all sorts of facilities seem to be re-opening, a lot of sports re-starting, social distancing seems to be a case of do as you please... you'd like to think that the athletic powers-that-be were lobbying hard to get training/competition back up and running (pardon the pun) within some kind of reasonable timescale...
    They would have problems. Many T&F officials will not be able to attend due to age/shielding. How do you get 5-6 timekeepers on a set of steps? Sanitary facilities would have issues as well.

and as for them wanting it, there is a lot of frustration with EA at the moment among grass roots. Taking the EA affiliation fees, so they don't need revenue, so what's in it for them in opening up the grass roots?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Some Honest (Maybe) common sense:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5IdqK885Lc

Mind you it is still early days and the whole thing is still evolving.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Track athletics could be a problem, but there shouldn't be any difficulty enforcing social distancing from javelin throwers or hammer throwers.
    The problems are different, not eliminated.

Marker Handling of shots, discus, javelins , hammers and tapes is the problem for those.

Banned
    So for anyone having to travel, I have a suggestion!
    These masks needed for airports are horrible to wear, the straps cut into ears.

Solution: Get two long white electrician cable ties. Put them through the ear loops clipping them in at both ends tthen use that as a back of head strap. Pull to length. It keeps the tension off your ears!

Master
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-06-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was