Page 111 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

I see that road racing has been suspended by EA for July (i suspect that would also include parkruns, and i'd hazard a guess that they probably won't sanction insurance for July fell races.... possibly a slightly higher probability of maybe seeing the odd track race)

Holme Moss also gone.

Interesting that a Welsh race which was due to be in April, but now rearranged to August... they have said it will be on as long as Wales is open and they can get insurance... they won't call it off for any other reason. Might do staggered starts though.

I also see that the Track & FIeld Competition Year has been extended from end of Sept to the end of Oct... which presumably means they are hoping to get some form of competition up and running(!!!)...... doesn't make any mention of whether this is solely for the elite, or those of us who consider getting round the steeplechase without a visit to hospital as a success....

Banned
    For geeks:
    Are cross reactive tcells the answer to why some populations are having less trouble?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...hting-t-cells/

T cells are a possible alternative protection to antibodies.
    Cross reaction implies that T cells from one pathogen response can protect from a later one.
    Cross reactive T cells seem to have helped with sars.
    They last a decade.

Think cowpox. The antibodies to which protect from smallpox. It’s how the vaccination works.
    Although we can’t do what Jenner did: inject live smallpox into his gardener to see if his vaccine worked. It did!

I do not think the Germans and South Koreans performance was better preparation. By the time either country recognised it , it was already endemic. The tests don’t work very well anyway.
    Shutting a stable door. So what else is protecting some populations?
    Last edited by Oracle; 15-06-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Banned
    I don't know what to think about the virus.

It appears to be like winter flu, just battering the I'll and elderly primarily.

Let's all just get back to normal asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    For geeks:
    Are cross reactive tcells the answer to why some populations are having less trouble?
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...hting-t-cells/

T cells are a possible alternative protection to antibodies.
    Cross reaction implies that T cells from one pathogen response can protect from a later one.
    Cross reactive T cells seem to have helped with sars.
    They last a decade.

Think cowpox. The antibodies to which protect from smallpox. ItÂ’s how the vaccination works.
    Although we canÂ’t do what Jenner did: inject live smallpox into his gardener to see if his vaccine worked. It did!

I do not think the Germans and South Koreans performance was better preparation. By the time either country recognised it , it was already endemic. The tests donÂ’t work very well anyway.
    Shutting a stable door. So what else is protecting some populations?
    I’ve read about this T cell theory. If true it would be very encouraging I.e. that many of us have some level of immunity from having previous had fairly harmless coronavirus colds which have a similar structure to Covid-19. Perhaps it would explain why Japan has suffered so lightly despite having a lockdown so lacklustre they are on a par with Sweden but with much better outcomes. At other times I think that typically Teutonic efficiency has served the Germans well. Who knows? It is a truly mystifying virus.

Very positive development. A cheap widely available drug has been found to save the lives of coronavirus patients.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

Was pretty disappointed (but not at all surprised) to see the pics of huge queues to get in the re-opened shops yesterday...

People camping overnight outside Manchester Primark. "Nike Town" in Central London saw a scrum that made some of the previous week's protests look positively calm, friendly and socially distanced...!

I had to go to a retail park on the edge of Cov city centre yesterday (needed a new waterproof pen for my OS map, prior to this weekends outing). There was a queue of approx 100 people to get into Sports Direct... are people really that desperate to go out and buy absolute tat, that they'll queue in the sun for an hour (or indeed overnight).

Master
    Very sad to see the huge queues at fast fashion shops in particular - stuff that will very quickly end up in landfill, and that is made in dodgy conditions worker- and planet- wise. I never regarded shopping as recreation, though I did try to support local shops - but now ... awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    There was a queue of approx 100 people to get into Sports Direct... are people really that desperate to go out and buy absolute tat, that they'll queue in the sun for an hour (or indeed overnight).
    50% off for NHS staff. They interviewed one on Granada news last night. Said she couldn't miss the chance.

I rarely venture in. I find there's a dank smell on the occasions I've ventured inside for what is a collection of largely B & C Brand stuff that's overpriced.

But I have picked up some deals, notably a few years ago a pair of Nike Zoom Rival spikes for one of the daughters at £12 when the going rate was around £50.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Very positive development. A cheap widely available drug has been found to save the lives of coronavirus patients.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

Dexamethasone has been around around for ages, is as cheap as chips, and its side effects - those of any anti-inflammatory catabolic steroid - are well known. Great news if true.