Page 144 of 357 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    I agree. So it’s hardly much Achievement.
    My time of 3.30 was around 40 mins behind the course record by Mark Fleming I think?,

Though they do get a bit competitive at sharp end.
    Managed top tens in such as the trollers an event I like. Third at the anglezarke amble. Even did 4th at Keswick to barrow one year, having missed the turn in dalton so headed out to black Combe! Third at autumn in Lakeland ( a skyline circuit of borrowdale) . I allowed two guys to come past at the finish knowing I had cut a corner, only to discover chatting they had cheated a mile and climb in borrowdale!

But there’s the rub.
    I was a better runner than fellrunning climber , but I much preferred the wildness of such as duddon. Mostly I just like long trots on the fells. Crocodile races don’t do it for me. Pot hunting and positions never bothered me. I’ve not raced a lot. My last was Pendle cloughs ( which deserves far greater popularity than it has)

Hard to do these days: I used to love edale skyline when you could send in the form a fortnight before. Online has made entry impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Most LDWA events aren't races as such. I came first in The Smugglers Trod at Robin Hoods Bay (17 mile course) in 2016 and second last year. Mind you that says more about the standard of the field than me. The 25 mile route always has the better runners. I was only ever mediocre even in my heyday.
    Last edited by Oracle; 03-07-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    If indeed the Forum is dying on its feet almost 50 posts on this one thread in less than 5 hours does remind me rather of Dylan Thomas.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day:
    Rage,rage against the dying of the light.
    What? Is willie bleeding over the cheese again?

"The Dave mole and Mattpos of this world seemingly only ever post to attack other posters.to bemoan not contribute, including his thinly disguised attack on me as “ first responder”"

So you never read my posts about recent runs and race, wildlife and beautiful places. I very rarely bother to comment on political topics as:-
    a) I can't be bothered - there is more to life
    b) It's like banging ones head on a wall - nice when you stop!
    c) This is suppossed to be a Fell runners forum

Banned
    Well Matt. A whistle stop survey of your last dozen posts is half either attack me, or liking those who have. “ look who responded first”

Why not ditch those? Then I would not be obliged to respond.
    Create the forum you say you want.

A to c are reasons not to post on those threads, not to attack those who do.

I did contribute to your “ fave race” thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    "The Dave mole and Mattpos of this world seemingly only ever post to attack other posters.to bemoan not contribute, including his thinly disguised attack on me as “ first responder”"

So you never read my posts about recent runs and race, wildlife and beautiful places. I very rarely bother to comment on political topics as:-
    a) I can't be bothered - there is more to life
    b) It's like banging ones head on a wall - nice when you stop!
    c) This is suppossed to be a Fell runners forum
    Last edited by Oracle; 03-07-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    This was 2018 and I was there - I came last limping in with an injury. Now if you could state a rough finishing time we might have a view who you actually are...

Edwin Sherstone
    Mark Nutter
    Nick Harris

are some in your age range. Don’t be bashful tell us who you are? The evidence is there and will quell your critics who don’t think you’re a real fell runner
    I have somehow got the impression that Oracle resides to the east of the Pennines, whereas those three are all running for clubs west of the Pennines. [Engages in another vain attempt to re-start the Wars of the Roses]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Managed top tens in such as the trollers an event I like.
    I used to really like Trollers too. I was never near the top 10 though, think my best time was about 3:45. It’s s a great pity it ended - about five years ago I think. I’ve run the course since just for the fun of it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I have somehow got the impression that Oracle resides to the east of the Pennines, whereas those three are all running for clubs west of the Pennines. [Engages in another vain attempt to re-start the Wars of the Roses]
    Alas none are my good self.

The year gavin bland came in in 5 hrs plus, I was kicking myself I was out with back injury. That was the year I could have beat him!

I’ve given someone a lead, the ones who still don’t know ( some do) . Last race I did was pendle cloughs.
    Now that is a small ( but select) field!

pS , as regards war of roses, a climbing partner of mine told me that the lancs climbing club had an annual do in ilkley! Invasion has started.
    Last edited by Oracle; 03-07-2020 at 05:51 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I used to really like Trollers too. I was never near the top 10 though, think my best time was about 3:45. It’s s a great pity it ended - about five years ago I think. I’ve run the course since just for the fun of it.
    I think my favourite ldwas were trollers, the yomp, and autumn in Lakeland.
    All attracted fell runners. No idea if the others run any more.

Trotted round open to Offa’s, which I liked , but never the full route,

Stop press. I Just remembered the Yorkshireman. That too is a good day out!

I did a lot of others, like blubberhouses and rombald, ( in Graham’s back garden) but they weren’t a patch on those.
    Last edited by Oracle; 03-07-2020 at 05:52 PM.

I did a lot of others, like blubberhouses and rombald, ( in Graham’s back garden) but they weren’t a patch on those.
    Ive done Rombalds the most out of the LDWA events - Guiseley is fairly local for me. My time was always about the same as Trollers despite being 3 miles shorter. The Trollers route was just so runnable.

I think the Hebden is my favourite. Pretty tough, much hillier than the above two. It’s ’s very popular so these days you have to enter about six months before to get in.

Trotted round open to Offa’s, which I liked , but never the full route,

Stop press. I Just remembered the Yorkshireman. That too is a good day out!

I did a lot of others, like blubberhouses and rombald, (in Graham’s back garden) but they weren’t a patch on those.
    Graham's back garden?

Now I understand that you know me as a double English Championship Vet Medalist but just to establish my LDWA credentials I have done Haworth Hobble (the old long course, not the current jaunt), Rombald's, Burley Bridge, Rudolph's Romp, Hebden, Bottom's Up, Beacon Bash, Myrtle Meander, Open To Offas, Grin 'n' Bear It, Saltergate, Two Crosses, Scarborough Rock, That's Lyth, Troller's Trot, Moors the Merrier, Blubberhouses, Durham Dales, Settle Saunter, Hangover Hike, Regular Irregular, Black Brook, Anglezarke... so I'm not just running up and down Burnsall Fell!

Actually thinking of the Rombald's, one year I did 3.26 and was first back in my category by hours but they wouldn't give me the prize because I had entered on the day. But I am not one to bear a grudge after 20 years.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 03-07-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".