Page 16 of 357 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Notice on Twitter that the Frog Graham are not recognising any attempts for the foreseeable to try to keep people out of Cumbria, I may have missed it but is the BGR doing the same?

Yes. See Thread Bob Graham Round - Covid 19.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Yes. See Thread Bob Graham Round - Covid 19.
    Cheers LB never saw it

Tough to judge this.

My brother has a static caravan on a private site near Cartmel, and as my holiday to Fuerteventura fell through he offered it to us for a few days.
    So went up Saturday early. We took our own food for 3 days so no need to shop up there.
    We didn't stop anywhere.
    We were walking in very quiet areas where it was at times more difficult to find someone who's personal space you could invade
    Saturday afternoon we did around 11 miles ended at Greenodd along the Cumbrian Coastal Path which was very quiet and found a chippy open for a late dinner.
    The chippy took the order from the doorway, there was no queue. Those that had given their orders had moved away and no one broke the 2 metre rule of the half a dozen people in front of the chippy - in fact it was more like 5 metres.
    We ventured up How Barrow and got a slight surprise. Wife and I walking up the left and a couple with dogs walking down the other side towards us a few metres apart and I just gave a polite "good morning" only to be returned with a "good morning Richard" as to my surprise a couple of Dashers were on the same site
    We only then saw one other couple at a distance near the top of the Hill.
    This morning prior to returning we parked up and had a walk on Humphrey Head and saw a runner and a lone walker.
    The only time we encountered a number of people was in Grange on Sunday afternoon. A sea front walk where everyone seemed to be behaving responsibly There weren't many about but those that were seemed to be observing the guidance.

The problem seems to be two-fold.

Some people have innocently decided to get out in to the parks, countryside or coastal towns, but all seem to have had the same idea and converged on the most popular spots. Then instead of changing to a plan B or returning home, they've just cracked on regardless.

Some however have just blatantly ignored the guidance. These are the ones we really should reserve our umbrage for. I saw some knuckle-heads had moved to an outdoor gym on the news. Planks!
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I walked up Beacon Hill yesterday: direct route up, then return via Felicity's Wood and Buck Hill. On the way up, there's a short stretch along the road near the Lower Beacon car park, and there were cars parked along the verge for a good quarter of a mile from the car park entrance. I was wondering whether it was a good idea to continue into Beacon Hill Country Park; but I only saw a few people on the way up the hill, and even at the summit, although there were plenty of people around, they were all sitting or standing at least 2 metres apart. The only tricky situations were meeting other walkers on narrow sections of footpath, particularly on my route back down; I moved well to one side of the path, some of them reciprocated, but not all.

After I got back home, I saw a notice on facebook that the Outwoods (which I had passed through both on the way up and coming back down) were closed. But I hadn't seen any notices to this effect when I was there. Presumably the Borough Council (who own the Outwoods) had put notices up, but people had been taking them down -- the same people who a few weeks ago were removing signs warning of floods on the roads.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Yes it's difficult. I'm planning to do one of these virtual races next weekend, where follow the route on a map or gps, and send in my time (in fact it's not even official as that... just that a race/challenge was cancelled, and the organiser asked if any 'intrepid' souls who do the course want to send in any photos/times).

I'll drive (admittedly a good 1hr30 drive) alone, change in my car alone, start alone, do the course alone, and drive home alone. Unlikely to see many if anyone on the route... it's not exactly the Pyg Track Snowdon.

I'm failing to see how any of that would be any more harmful than anything else i'd be doing as an alternative on sunday.

Yet all the part-time Biological Scientists, Politicians and Economists on social media would have me think that I was a scumbag and a threat to humanity for even considering such an action.

In the meantime, planes from Italy, France, USA, China, still landing at our airports.

My colleague at work also has a static caravan on a site in the Welsh Borders. From what he's told me, the issue a lot of the caravan sites are experiencing, is that people (especially elderly couples) are descending upon their caravans on the site to 'self isolate'

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My colleague at work also has a static caravan on a site in the Welsh Borders. From what he's told me, the issue a lot of the caravan sites are experiencing, is that people (especially elderly couples) are descending upon their caravans on the site to 'self isolate'
    The site I was on near Cartmel, South Lakes is on the Holker Hall Estate. Last night they said locals had expressed concern to management that people were coming out to isolate putting them at risk.

So the Estate management put a message out closing the site and gave everyone until today to leave. No access until further notice.

I can understand the local's concern. But I bet many wouldn't think twice about heading off in to Lancaster or Barrow if they needed to.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'm failing to see how any of that would be any more harmful than anything else i'd be doing as an alternative on sunday.
    I've seen Mountain Rescue putting out info advising against going out of your local area.

Then this from the BMC.
    https://www.thebmc.co.uk/climbing-an...5pVqEUoMFXREVM

If anything happens to you, emergency cover might not be able to respond as resources are being diverted.

I'm as likely to turn my ankle a mile from home, as I am in the Howgills. I suppose I can at least get myself home if it happens locally, so will stick to my own patch for the time being on the West Pennines and Billinge Woods above Witton Park.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Time to shut our boarders. Airports, ferry routes and that bloody tunnel.