Page 164 of 357 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Correct WP

But to keep the public interest up they have to pick on a small insignificant town at least 100 mile away from London. And its your turn.

If I understand it correctly shop assistants will be exempted from the requirement to wear masks. This seems illogical. I can understand that wearing one all day would be unpleasant (trust me on this, if you don't then try wearing NBC kit for a while). But if say 1 in 4000 customers may be infected the ones who are and who go shopping may come in to close contact with a few people for comparatively short periods over an hour or two, perhaps just on one day. The 1 in 4000 shop workers who may be infectious will probably come in to similar contact with hundreds of people every day.

Stagger this isn't Govt - this is rather bogus Public Health England "Surveys" that our local authority love to jump on.
    end May - Prof Harrison put out on the BwD FB page that they would not follow Govt request to start school openings 1st week June because we had a high % of Asian ethnicity in Blackburn who were at higher risk and so they would delay.
    Fair enough, except that same day I went for a run around Witton and 25 ish Asian lads were having a cricket match on one of the pitches at Witton.
    When I first ran past they were picking the teams on the square and when I came past again the match had commenced.
    1 week later there was a full blown unofficial cricket tournament with teams travelling from as far as Birmingham.
    The article mentions 200 people - that was just the players. Locals estimate over 1,000 down Witton.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-52965361

BwD put out info ticking off the organisers, claimed they had been in touch with them, but they would not name them at the moment - they still haven't - and there was no indication of any charges or fines incurred.
    The police have said they could not enforce social distancing and it was a council matter - yet they were handing out fines in April.

Politics - that's what this is. The people of BwD know what's going on.

This is the Facebook announcement put out by BwD Council last night.

NEW AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON POTENTIAL LOCAL LOCKDOWN ⚠️
    PLEASE READ NOW, TAG AND SHARE:
    We are doing everything we can to avoid a local Coronavirus lockdown for Blackburn with Darwen.
    The most recent figures show that we are fourth in the country for the number of cases per 100,000.
    To avoid a lockdown - as seen in Leicester - our Director for Public Health is now asking ALL residents to take these new steps immediately and for at least the next month:
    ⚠️ A limit of 2 people from the same household allowed to visit another household
    ⚠️ Please wear face coverings in all enclosed public spaces
    ⚠️ Avoid hugging or shaking hands with anyone outside of your immediate family
    ⚠️ Small shops - we will be stepping up our Public Protection advice to ensure that guidelines around face coverings, social distancing, good hygiene and increased ventilation is being followed.
    ⚠️ Get tested - even if you don’t have symptoms this will help with case finding
    Prof. Dominic Harrison said: “These steps will help and we are appealing to everyone in Blackburn with Darwen to follow them to protect themselves and their loved ones.
    “If we don’t, a local lockdown, like in Leicester, becomes a very real possibility.”
    Please read the full update now at: bit.ly/3gZwcQ8
    It’s really important that this message reaches as many residents as possible.
    Please TAG your family and friends to help keep them safe

A couple of hours later, my wife found a message on her companies FB page saying all at her work would now have to wear face masks in work.

I suggested if they asked her to wear one this morning (which she is reluctant to do) she should ask for a copy of their risk assessment.
    I doubt they have done one.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

According to the BBC website "Anyone who cannot wear a covering "because of any physical or mental illness or impairment, or disability", or who would experience "severe distress" from doing so, is exempt.

So presumably, if you are in an incandescent rage about the total crushing asininity of the mask-wearing fiasco, then you could arguably be exempt under the mental illness or severe distressed loopholes! Not sure how you'd prove that (some sort of certificate?) as its a tall challenge maintaining that level of peed-off-ness without years of practice.

PS why are there no mask-wearing emojos? Come on Brett get with the times- tsk!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Doses of Covid cannot grow on masks - they need to be inside cells to grow.

Cloth masks interfere with exhaling CO2? - er - no.

We are constantly inhaling fungi and mildew - our immune systems know how to deal with it.

As has been said, if you dislike masks you will not be impressed with being ventilated.

I wear a mask to protect you .....
    Interestingly,the idea that masks could increase the risk of coronavirus infection was put forward in March by the deputy chief medical officer Jenny Harries. She said masks could trap the virus, causing the person wearing one to breathe it in. I'm not sure what has changed since then.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...-a9396811.html

The full quote is:
    "Dr Harries told BBC News: “What tends to happen is people will have one mask. They won’t wear it all the time, they will take it off when they get home, they will put it down on a surface they haven’t cleaned.Or they will be out and they haven’t washed their hands, they will have a cup of coffee somewhere, they half hook it off, they wipe something over it. In fact, you can actually trap the virus in the mask and start breathing it in".

Asked if people are putting themselves more at risk by wearing masks, Dr Harries added: “Because of these behavioural issues, people can adversely put themselves at more risk than less.”

So not about mask wearing per-se, but poor hygiene and lack of care being an issue. In the same article, Dr Jake Dunning said “Face masks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good universal hygiene behaviour in order for them to be effective.”

What's changed since March is that we know more about the virus and more research has been carried out into how it spreads. I linked to some papers on it earlier. A study in May by Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz and the University of Southern Denmark found that mask-wearing could cut transmission by 40%. The evidence went from weak and unclear to marginal but positive.

Harries also said that large gatherings were not a source of infection and there were calls for her to resign over statements about testing too.
    Last edited by Dave_Mole; 15-07-2020 at 11:36 AM. Reason: added a link to the German paper
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    I just hope we have English company's manufacturing them and certainly not importing them.

But I doubt that ��

[QUOTE=Mark G;663988]I can understand that wearing one all day would be unpleasant (trust me on this, if you don't then try wearing NBC kit for a while).

Ah, I'd forgotten about the delights of wearing NBC kit.

After wearing that, a mask/buff/balaclava will be a doddle.

I read somewhere that the coronavirus can enter the body via the eyes.

If so we should perhaps also be wearing goggles.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    NCB mask didn't do it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    The full quote is:
    "Dr Harries told BBC News: “What tends to happen is people will have one mask. They won’t wear it all the time, they will take it off when they get home, they will put it down on a surface they haven’t cleaned.Or they will be out and they haven’t washed their hands, they will have a cup of coffee somewhere, they half hook it off, they wipe something over it. In fact, you can actually trap the virus in the mask and start breathing it in".

Asked if people are putting themselves more at risk by wearing masks, Dr Harries added: “Because of these behavioural issues, people can adversely put themselves at more risk than less.”

So not about mask wearing per-se, but poor hygiene and lack of care being an issue. In the same article, Dr Jake Dunning said “Face masks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good universal hygiene behaviour in order for them to be effective.”

What's changed since March is that we know more about the virus and more research has been carried out into how it spreads. I linked to some papers on it earlier. A study in May by Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz and the University of Southern Denmark found that mask-wearing could cut transmission by 40%. The evidence went from weak and unclear to marginal but positive.

Harries also said that large gatherings were not a source of infection and there were calls for her to resign over statements about testing too.
    Isn’t that the point though, many people will wear the masks incorrectly, so there is a practical risk of infection being caused by masks. Many, probably most people won’t take the kind of care recommended by Dr Dunning. This hasn’t changed since March, people are just as likely to be careless with masks now as they were then.

With regard to Harries comments about large gatherings, if it comes to outside gatherings, they are probably not a significant source of infection. The risk of transmission outside appears to be very small and when there has been large gatherings such as BLM marches and various raves etc there has been no noticeable spike.