Page 239 of 357 FirstFirst ... 139189229237238239240241249289339 ... LastLast
Results 2,381 to 2,390 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Is black white??

....it's all downhill from here.

to quote:

"Covid scepticism in Bolton has led to it having the highest infection rate of coronavirus in the country, a local MP has said, as a #thinkingforyourself social media trend gains traction....the Greater Manchester town has the highest rate in England and has featured among the worst-hit areas in Europe....

Yasmin Qureshi, Labour MP for Bolton South East, said many people in the area believed the virus was a fake, government-constructed concept and as a result were refusing to adhere to social distancing guidelines. “There is a lot of confusion about the virus in the area and there are a lot of people now who do not believe it is true,” she said.

Qureshi added: “They genuinely believe it’s some kind of conspiracy. A lot of them don’t understand the rules either and so there are many who just aren’t following them – they think it is a way of controlling them somehow....”

Hayley Brandwood said "I would say that the majority of people around here are not wearing masks when they go into shops and if you do wear one you are considered a sheep. I’ve seen people laughing and shaking their heads at others who are wearing masks".

Earlier this week it was reported that the number of people being admitted to hospital in the town with confirmed or suspected coronavirus was rising. Hospital chiefs also said they were seeing an increased number of patients under-65 being admitted, with some in their in 40s and 50s...."

The ineptitude of the Government has led to that response in Bolton. Ministers have been flitting between measures to suppress the virus and open the economy with no clear leadership or plan. The idiots are always going to question whether coronavirus actually exists given that the leadership has been so poor. I have no doubt this virus exists (IÂ’m a vet- I believe in viruses!) and I have no doubt it kills vulnerable people and some not so vulnerable in much smaller numbers (like flu). But I do take all decisions made but the Government with a major degree of scepticism now because, quite frankly, they havenÂ’t followed best evidence from the outset. Whether thatÂ’s their fault or that of their advisors doesnÂ’t matter. What matters is getting a clear message across to the public.

They lost many people over face masks. This is a respiratory disease. We were wearing face masks in our practice from mid March. You donÂ’t need a doctorate in virology to realise that any face covering will reduce spread and transmission. I understand that they didnÂ’t want PPE used up, but a plain message from the start stating that face coverings of any type should be worn in confined places would have sufficed. People would have done it immediately as they had been scared rigid already and it would have become the norm straight away.

Then testing, you canÂ’t go from telling everyone to get a test if youÂ’ve basically sneezed once, to then wonder why you are running out of tests within a few weeks when schools etc go back. I bored my wife rigid over this a few weeks ago, moaning about what they were playing at. It was inevitable. A simple vet like me could see that happening. Perhaps I should advertise my services as a management consultant!

Then the data interpretation on Covid related deaths. Prof Heneghan has been going on about this for months before the error was realised by PHE. It was shocking science and another nail in the coffin of public confidence.

Then they opened pubs on a Saturday. Well done (not!) to whoever thought that was a good idea!

So now we are in a situation where we have a disease that will kill vulnerable people, but due to extremely poor leadership and lack of a clear plan, the publicÂ’s will to follow their silly rules has waned and led to an increase in cases amongst the younger age groups. A trickle will feed through to the vulnerable, itÂ’s inevitable, but to say that most older folk havenÂ’t been scared witless would be crazy. Most are going to steer clear of pubs and restaurants and so on and take precautions so the effect on death rate will be nowhere near what it was in April. They should stick to testing medics and care workers almost daily to protect the most vulnerable.

And so now the Government has lost our will they have to beat us with a massive big stick. Who would have thought it would be illegal for me to have my own mother visit me and her grandchildren in my own home, or that I might be fined up to £10k for actually leaving my house, or that I might be reported by my neighbours for a five minute chat with a mate in my garden? How is it that everyone seems to just sit back and tolerate this? There could have been a better way.

Finally, who is actually going to want to go and get tested now you can be fined so heavily if you end up in the Tack and Trace system and happen to leave your house? Is anyone actually going to answer their phones to an unknown number anymore? IÂ’m not saying thatÂ’s right but it will be a continuing consequence.

I was a Tory member. Membership has been revoked!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    to quote:

"Covid scepticism in Bolton has led to it having the highest infection rate of coronavirus in the country, a local MP has said, as a #thinkingforyourself social media trend gains traction....the Greater Manchester town has the highest rate in England and has featured among the worst-hit areas in Europe....

Yasmin Qureshi, Labour MP for Bolton South East, said many people in the area believed the virus was a fake, government-constructed concept and as a result were refusing to adhere to social distancing guidelines. “There is a lot of confusion about the virus in the area and there are a lot of people now who do not believe it is true,” she said.

Qureshi added: “They genuinely believe it’s some kind of conspiracy. A lot of them don’t understand the rules either and so there are many who just aren’t following them – they think it is a way of controlling them somehow....”

Hayley Brandwood said "I would say that the majority of people around here are not wearing masks when they go into shops and if you do wear one you are considered a sheep. I’ve seen people laughing and shaking their heads at others who are wearing masks".

Earlier this week it was reported that the number of people being admitted to hospital in the town with confirmed or suspected coronavirus was rising. Hospital chiefs also said they were seeing an increased number of patients under-65 being admitted, with some in their in 40s and 50s...."
    Dave, I'm not sure its solely scepticism as to whether it's a fake or not, or are people just fed up with both the double standards (Cummings debacle; Boris and Tory Backbench 1922 meeting; Grouse Shooting exceptions; complete Bollocks of Track and Trace; etc.; etc.) and contradictory messages (Eat Out to Help Out - Oh hang on, now you're being naughty, so stop it1); the near complete absence of airport CV measures reported by people returning to the UK from countries considered 'hotspots'; etc.

Also contradictory messages as it seems anything /anywhere money exchanges hands is Ok but none financial social gatherings are taboo. One of my local holiday lets have block let their properties to a group of 35 plus people from Manchester, and it seems that's OK!!! Complete farce and people feel the Government is taking the P.

I was listening to Matt Halfcocked being interviewed on the radio yesterday regarding the reported upsurge in infections. i wondered why the interviewer didn't ask the simple question - Did he not expect the number of infections to markedly rise when restrictions were eased? If not, why not? (its seems bloomin' obvious), and if he did expect this, what the bollocks is he carping on about? WTF!
    Am Yisrael Chai

completely agree with both of you over government handling of the crisis: it's been a shambles from the get-go.

The quote and link were in response to other posters on here who describe themselves as "sceptics" and as an illustration of the consequences of that.

Banned
    If the government is prepared to fine events organisers, why doesn't it fine none mask wearing??

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    But I do take all decisions made but the Government with a major degree of scepticism
    Scepticism is frowned upon. Be careful.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post

Finally, who is actually going to want to go and get tested now you can be fined so heavily
    Someone who fancies a couple of weeks off work with a £500 compensation payment from the taxpayer. It's worth a punt - you may get a positive test.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I was listening to Matt Halfcocked being interviewed on the radio yesterday regarding the reported upsurge in infections. i wondered why the interviewer didn't ask the simple question - Did he not expect the number of infections to markedly rise when restrictions were eased? If not, why not? (its seems bloomin' obvious), and if he did expect this, what the bollocks is he carping on about? WTF!
    It made me laugh as I was watching Marr this morning, listening to Matt Halfcock and cringeing at times. The idea flashed through my mind to set up a Twitter pardoy account as Nat Mancock, but I have enough on my plate. But I think your parody name would be better as well

When the groundwork was being done on track and trace, the idea put forward was to avoid lockdowns by isolating those individuals in the chain.

It seems to be used as a tool for imposing greater measures nationwide, rather than isolating the virus as first set out.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell