Page 256 of 357 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257258266306356 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Having spent the six of the last eight years looking after my mother as she slowly declined with alzheimer's I can answer that question.

Sadly I suspect that if my mother had survived until 2020 and if she had passed away during the last six months, her death would have been wrongly attributed to Covid-19.
    My fault for being unclear - by bad I meant evil, rather than extremely unwell.

Sorry to hear about your mother's illness.

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    I'd be interested to know what position Mike T would take on lockdown when it starts to affect him. Say when he can't buy food or water. Would he be willing to see people starve to save people from the virus? Certain job losses are fine in his eyes because they're not essential or needed. But why stop there if you want to save people from a virus? Just curious how far he'd go before backing down on his principles?
    I blame it on paradigms. We're solving the crisis based on the fundamental guiding principle that life is more important than the economy. I disagree. The economy is far, far more fragile than human life and it's destabilisation under capitalism will result in a crash. People are ignorant of the fact that this virus is the direct result of our exploitation of the planet, I don't buy the blame China theory- due to us all buying their consumer goods; guilty by association I say. People need to face up to the fact that the predator is now the prey.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Oh no. Not her again.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Well, things seem to be under control....
    Good to see closing pubs at 10 is working.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ind...160.html%3famp

And here’s a great chart showing ‘life’ cycle of a covid infection

So just to remind everyone, that’s a 1% mortality rate on average, which is roughly ten times more deadly than flu.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    So just to remind everyone, that’s a 1% mortality rate on average, which is roughly ten times more deadly than flu.
    Well yes 1% doesn't sound so bad (as long as you are one of the 99) - and I had my flu "jab" yesterday so that's all right - but what really interests me is the % for a 70+ year old, fit, slim fellrunner or my 97 year old mother.

Intellectual curiousity is one thing ; and having "skin in the game" is another.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 04-10-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well yes 1% doesn't sound so bad (as long as you are one of the 99) - and I had my flu "jab" yesterday so that's all right - but what really interests me is the % for a 70+ year old, fit, slim fellrunner or my 97 year old mother.

Intellectual curiousity is one thing ; and having "skin in the game" is another.
    Yeah I follow this expert professor guy on Twitter, David Paton, who analyses all of the hospital and government COVID stats. He’s generally a positive type and is anti many of the localised lockdowns. Whenever there are slightly bad or bad figures coming out right now, he always says ‘but that’s mainly just in the north west’. Like that’s in anyway reassuring to anybody actually living (unlike him) in the north west....

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Yeah I follow this expert professor guy on Twitter, David Paton, who analyses all of the hospital and government COVID stats. He’s generally a positive type and is anti many of the localised lockdowns. Whenever there are slightly bad or bad figures coming out right now, he always says ‘but that’s mainly just in the north west’. Like that’s in anyway reassuring to anybody actually living (unlike him) in the north west....
    In my naivety I used to think Yorkshire was in the North East but with all the Covid cases being reported in the North East I am now happy to recognise that I really live in the deep South.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".