Page 275 of 357 FirstFirst ... 175225265273274275276277285325 ... LastLast
Results 2,741 to 2,750 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    If the last lock-down taught us anything when viewed across multiple countries it's that early harsh lock-downs lead to fewer deaths and can be eased sooner - probably with less effect on the economy.

It's looking like the scientists learnt that lesson, but not the politicians.

Having said that, politicians also know (more than scientists) that you need to wait until public opinion is on your side. A harsh lock-down three weeks ago might have led to lots of people ignoring it.
    It's not just early lockdowns, it's what happens when you lift it. We came out of lockdown when there were still too many deaths and infections. But the key to success seems to be a track and trace system that works and people who will self-isolate when told to. Two things we don't seem to have.
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Sweden, (remember them, the country that didn't lock down), are also experiencing a second wave, or more of a ripple in their case. Anyone able to explain how a country that didn't lock down also has a second wave/ripple, and at roughly the same time as us?

Good question. Is it just because people are returning to more "normal" ways of living after initially being more cautious? I'm guessing you can't blame it on movement of people from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I missed those early, hard lockdowns that worked in the Western world. Of course if you look in the Far East which have probably don ebetter for different reasons, or you consider the cul-de-sac New Zealand maybe.

But New Zealand will have to lock down until the arrival of the messiah vaccine. At what cost?
    Are you sure its a cul-de-sac? Sure their tourist industry, airlines and airports will suffer but their full in country economy and exports and imports and whatnot will all carry on and, to a degree, some of their tourism will be filled by New Zealanders staying in country. NZ are also working with Australia to at least open up travel between themselves too

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sweden, (remember them, the country that didn't lock down), are also experiencing a second wave, or more of a ripple in their case. Anyone able to explain how a country that didn't lock down also has a second wave/ripple, and at roughly the same time as us?
    Because ultimately, when the rules forbid normal behaviour, it becomes normal behaviour to break the rules. Particularly when the rules are accompanied by a range of half-hearted, contradictory, self-defeating messages. So infection rates (sorry WP, 'cases') inevitably rise.

The succession of lockdowns and restrictions, across the world, won't be ended by an effective vaccine (there won't be one any time soon, if ever) or some other miracle. They'll be ended by the sheer economic necesiity of it all, when countries can no longer afford to ban or restrict commercial behaviours, that provide employment and also tax to the treasury.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I also don't think there will be a 'messiah' vaccine but there will be an effective vaccine which will allow countries to gradually open up, albeit still I'm sure with testing and quarantining in certain circumstances. They will be the same for us as with any other country but with certain other countries protecting their population much much better than others

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Their economy has still suffered along with everybody else's and they've had 10 times the mortality than their neighbouring countries in the process. I read somewhere (an article in the Times I think) that they had been hoping that they'd have reached circa 40% herd immunity by now, following their covid strategy, but when recently estimated its now more like 6% of their population have anti-bodies.

That said bravo to Sweden but they're not out of the woods yet. I do think the far far far lower population density and their cultural stand-offishness go a long way to explain their success (if you can call it that) so far

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Are you sure its a cul-de-sac?
    He's got a downer on NZ, for some reason. Rugby, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    That said bravo to Sweden but ....their cultural stand-offishness go a long way to explain their success (if you can call it that) so far
    Eeeeeee...Stolly. That's a bit close to the knuckle lad! I love Swedes, me!
    Last edited by Mossdog; 13-10-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I love Swedes, me!
    I prefer a turnip