Page 282 of 357 FirstFirst ... 182232272280281282283284292332 ... LastLast
Results 2,811 to 2,820 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    Because the contracts were "awarded" to people with no competence, with no scrutiny.
    Who just happened to be pals with the PM.
    So true. We had and have local authority public heath systems in place for over 200 years, but this Government decided to create a national system and one which relied on contracting out to private companies, despite the local teams pleading for more money to do the job they've experience of, and the local knowledge to apply it sensibly, rather than broad brush.

I've heard some politicians claiming that Andy Burnham is playing politics. Well, to my mind, the ideological ignoring of local public health authority know-how, and the privileging of 'out-sourcing' to private companies and expensive consultants, really is playing politics.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    So true. We had and have local authority public heath systems in place for over 200 years, but this Government decided to create a national system and one which relied on contracting out to private companies, despite the local teams pleading for more money to do the job they've experience of, and the local knowledge to apply it sensibly, rather than broad brush.

I've heard some politicians claiming that Andy Burnham is playing politics. Well, to my mind, the ideological ignoring of local public health authority know-how, and the privileging of 'out-sourcing' to private companies and expensive consultants, really is playing politics.
    If anything I trust local less. They turn a blind eye to some that are flouting the rules because it suits them politically.
    Politics is in a mess, whichever party and at whatever level.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    If anything I trust local less. They turn a blind eye to some that are flouting the rules because it suits them politically.
    Politics is in a mess, whichever party and at whatever level.
    Yes, local authorities can be over-bearing, monolithic, jobs-worths at times. I've worked for several in the past (and occasionally in the present). I've also worked for some exemplary private enterprises who have perform refreshingly well, with integrity, regarding some 'public' services.

But the public health systems in local authorities that we have in the UK really do have a long successful history (beginning with typhoid tracing and sorting). They've suffered some massive cuts over the last decade, but have the framework and experience in place (especially if properly funded) to have 'hit-the-ground-running' with this pandemic if the Governemnt had only allowed this. We're now paying the cost of the omnishambles, clusterf*uck of national track and trace Boris opted for. A huge mistake, in my opinion.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Yes, local authorities can be over-bearing, monolithic, jobs-worths at times. I've worked for several in the past (and occasionally in the present). I've also worked for some exemplary private enterprises who have perform refreshingly well, with integrity, regarding some 'public' services.

But the public health systems in local authorities that we have in the UK really do have a long successful history (beginning with typhoid tracing and sorting). They've suffered some massive cuts over the last decade, but have the framework and experience in place (especially if properly funded) to have 'hit-the-ground-running' with this pandemic if the Governemnt had only allowed this. We're now paying the cost of the omnishambles, clusterf*uck of national track and trace Boris opted for. A huge mistake, in my opinion.
    Do you really think they have the framework and experience in place? After all it's a long while since the really functioned in the way we would require.

On a side note, the PCR test false positive issue was poo-pooed a week or two back becauae we were now only testing symptomatic people, but the testing of students and school kids who are not symptomtic is rife.
    770 at Northumbria and 1000 at Newcastle - how did they qualify for a test?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Man on radio, mother in Stockport just been admitted to hospital with respiratory illness and put straight on to the Covid ward.
    test results back in 48 hours.
    His concern, that she could have gone in with flu, but sat lying in the Covid ward may well end up with it.

Seems a fair concern. Not sure where she should go though.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Marina Hyde ‘tiering’ a new one for Boris

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-boris-johnson

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Man on radio, mother in Stockport just been admitted to hospital with respiratory illness and put straight on to the Covid ward.
    test results back in 48 hours.
    His concern, that she could have gone in with flu, but sat lying in the Covid ward may well end up with it.

Seems a fair concern. Not sure where she should go though.
    Presumably she is not in a single room. Unfortunately our chronically underfunded NHS does not have enough of these.

On the balance of probabilities, she is far more likely to have Covid than flu. Even pre Covid, most chest infections were not flu. Unfortunately, if she did not come in with it, if she is sharing space with others who do have Covid, she is likely to get it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Presumably she is not in a single room. Unfortunately our chronically underfunded NHS does not have enough of these.

On the balance of probabilities, she is far more likely to have Covid than flu. Even pre Covid, most chest infections were not flu. Unfortunately, if she did not come in with it, if she is sharing space with others who do have Covid, she is likely to get it.
    But Mike the NHS will always be underfunded in your eyes. Isn't your motto 'from each according to his ability to each according to his need.' Hey you don't NEED coffee shops and you don't NEED restaurants. Ban em all. It'll be like Cuba where you have loads of doctors but no life!

Are we in the middle of a PCR driven Pseudo Epidemic?

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/22/health/22whoop.html
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Why don't you ask the 1000+ people admitted to hospital with it yesterday?