Page 29 of 357 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Police enforcing non existent laws.

Just went to my local B and Q to pick up a click and collect:
    The police have shut it down because it was in their view “ too busy”
    Show me the law that gives them such power?

By which they mean there was a queue of people isolating in cars.
    It is time legal action was taken against the police.
    Prosecution for wasting police time.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Police enforcing non existent laws.

Just went to my local B and Q to pick up a click and collect:
    The police have shut it down because it was in their view “ too busy”
    Show me the law that gives them such power?

By which they mean there was a queue of people isolating in cars.
    It is time legal action was taken against the police.
    Prosecution for wasting police time.
    and around here we have a spate of break-ins to steal car keys and drive off in the vehicle. I dare say you'd get an incident number :/
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    and around here we have a spate of break-ins to steal car keys and drive off in the vehicle. I dare say you'd get an incident number :/
    If they can spare the time away from important work like making sure you haven't slipped an Easter Egg in your trolley, then maybe.

Banned
    RIP Norman

From "Another Angry Voice" on Facebook.

Boris Johnson and the Tories decided to let coronavirus spread like wildfire through the UK population in the crucial early weeks, and even constructed the absolutely deluded narrative that they would be lauded as the 'supermen of capitalism' for deliberately letting thousands of people die*.

It seems like people are becoming numb to the sheer scale of the death toll stemming from this depraved 'supermen of capitalism' Tory delusion.

Just think about how many people this really is, and how this tsunami of avoidable deaths is impacting the surviving family members, and the workers who have seen their colleagues die as a result of inadequate protective gear.

And yet millions of dangerously deluded idiots actually seem to believe the Tories have done a super spiffing great job of handling the catastrophe that they themselves deliberately decided to unleash!

I have some criticism of the Government and of the State. But that people really believe such shit as this is incredible.
    AAV describes himself as a "Lone wolf political writer. Holding political establishment and powerful vested interests to account one Facebook post at a time." aka Thomas G. Clark

I personally think this was going to get us and even with hindsight there isn't a great deal we could have done to make the situation better.
    A few tweaks here and there that might have brought us a slightly lower number of deaths by now, but probably just pushed them down the line a little.

The earlier and more draconian lockdowns in Spain and Italy don't seem to have worked.

Italy started lockdown on 9th March. 41 days ago! It still had 500 deaths yesterday and 3.5k new cases. Where are they coming from?
    Spain were very similar figures and they locked down 36 days ago.

and these confirmed new cases are the known ones. How many unknown ones are there?

In order of worst hit so far (deaths per million) we have Belgium, Spain, Italy, France, UK, Netherlands, Switzerland, Sweden, USA...and then you move down to countries less severely affected next in line Ireland, Portugal, Denmark, Germany....

The only real outlier for me is Germany. The rest of the worst hit countries are all western economies, with areas of high population density, with lots of international travel.
    Almost all the countries have significant inter-continental hub airports, and whilst Brussels might be the exception, it is certainly a EU central hub.

The question of how and why this is hitting BAME communities has featured in the last few days. I'm not sure if there is concrete evidence out there yet, but they perhaps have a preponderance to closer social contact than other demographics.
    For example, a typical practicing Christian may well meet with fellow worshippers once or twice a week, my muslim neighbour attends under normal circumstances several times a day.

This does seem to be a virus that is spread very easily through contacts.

Lockdown seems to achieve little other than slight delay.

I am coming to the opinion that we have had a pause to allow NHS capacity to adjust and now we need to just crack on.
    Many have probably had it and we don't realise - consider the known cases coming even after many weeks of lockdown and that the unknown cases could be 10-30 times more - this is very infectious.
    The public will natural socially distance once lockdown is ended and contacts will be far lower after lockdown than they were before we'd heard of Covid 19.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    The truth will out one day.

Banned
    Just having a think about what happens next?

Lockdown ends, we all go back to work.

The virus has not gone away.

But there are a lower number of deaths per day.

We just live with it.

Wonder if I'll ever be tested for it?

Economy is on its knees for the foreseeable future.

Some brain box decides Britain should be a manufacturing country.

Is there owt else that you would like to add?

The question of how and why this is hitting BAME communities has featured in the last few days. I'm not sure if there is concrete evidence out there yet, but they perhaps have a preponderance to closer social contact than other demographics.

I haven't got to grips with this, whether it is a higher percentage of those communities catching it, or a higher percentage that catch it need hospital treatment and end up in intensive care, or a higher percentage of those in intensive care actually die?

The first should not be too difficult to possibly explain through lifestyles, the next two are not so easy. But I haven't seen it explained as to which it is?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

I haven't got to grips with this, whether it is a higher percentage of those communities catching it, or a higher percentage that catch it need hospital treatment and end up in intensive care, or a higher percentage of those in intensive care actually die?

The first should not be too difficult to possibly explain through lifestyles, the next two are not so easy. But I haven't seen it explained as to which it is?
    Because what is needed is a robust statistical analysis. It is very easy to jump to wrong conclusions.

My g.daughter is part of the Covid 19 team at St James, Leeds so she has been dealing with Covid 19 patients everyday for weeks and pointed this out to her mother (also a Nurse) long before the media woke up. I have also discussed it (as part of general Covid 19 discussions) with my son (a Consultant at Leeds General). There are many intriguing aspects to the disease eg the male/female morbidity differences, children/adult, obesity factor etc and BAME communities may be one.

The DT today reports on the - much more straightforward - obesity factor as "not clear" and quotes Prof. Openshaw who provides three different reasons which may be a factor!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 19-04-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".