Page 303 of 357 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,030 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Sorry to post in a way that will generate further division. I certainly don't want this to be a Brexit-coronavirus thread.

And thanks bigfella and Llani Boy. That confirms my suspicions that these are non-overlapping issues on which at least some people will have very different opinions.

I think one of the problems with a country wide lockdown is that people who have been abiding by previous restrictions, especially those who live in areas of low Covid levels, feel as if they are being punished whilst those who have been blatantly flouting those restrictions, as widely seen on tv, seem to have got away with it.

How many £10,000 fines have been issued and, if any have, how many will be paid?

As has been said previously this country has a quickly growing percentage of morons who don't give a toss about anyone but themselves, do what they want, and unfortunately know that they can get away with it.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I think one of the problems with a country wide lockdown is that people who have been abiding by previous restrictions, especially those who live in areas of low Covid levels, feel as if they are being punished whilst those who have been blatantly flouting those restrictions, as widely seen on tv, seem to have got away with it.

How many £10,000 fines have been issued and, if any have, how many will be paid?

As has been said previously this country has a quickly growing percentage of morons who don't give a toss about anyone but themselves, do what they want, and unfortunately know that they can get away with it.
    Apparently 20,223 fixed penalty notices were issued under lockdown restrictions between 27 March and 19 October.65 fines were given in Tier 1 (Medium), 79 in Tier 2 (High) and 124 in Tier 3 (Very High). Most went to young men, but there's no details as to the level of fines. As most were for lack of face covering, there's probably not a massive number of £10k fines.
    https://news.npcc.police.uk/resource...the-pandemic-4

As for people who " don't give a toss about anyone but themselves, do what they want, and unfortunately know that they can get away with it"...are you talking about the current government, or society in general?
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

The message being given seems implausible. Is there anyone who doesn't have a concern over the PM/Whitty/Vallance presentation on Saturday?

Already today the chart showing deaths at mid range 4,000 per day is being pulled apart and seems to have been a forecast made a few weeks ago that is already out by a factor of around 5 times and revised downwards on the 28th.

Current policy would have a danger of setting a precedent for an annual Autumn lockdown for whatever the respiratory lurgy of the day happened to be.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I didn't vote in the Brexit referendum.
    In retrospect, i supported the first national lockdown.
    I am against the current lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I didn't vote in the Brexit referendum.
    In retrospect, i supported the first national lockdown.
    That might make you a contrarian

Meanwhile, good news on the T Cell front. At least it seems to be.

In a world’s first study described as ‘reassuring’ by experts, scientists from Public Health England (PHE) and the University of Birmingham, found that memory T-cells were present in everyone they tested.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...en-antibodies/
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thanks. What would you do instead - regional lock-downs?

For me, that's the big question. How do we avoid lock-downs with all the associated issues (economic, healthcare, mental health, etc)?

There are only lockdowns because a good percentage of the public are incapable of regulating themselves, taking necessary precautions and keeping a lid on the number of cases. If cases remain low then we can all cope and accept it, no lockdowns needed.
    If we carry on now the hospitals will soon be full, people dying in corridors and the media having a great time. Whilst nobody else can get treatment for anything.
    I would say if we have no lockdowns then we have no covid treatments in hospitals, live or die but take the consequences - that should quickly focus the minds not to spread it about.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Whether another lockdown will help or whether Boris’s previous whack-a-mole strategy would’ve worked are almost irrelevant compared to how the government just are rubbish at explaining what they’re doing and why. Almost certainly because they don’t know themselves.

Basically nobody now believes any single thing Boris says and his previous ridiculous standing by Dominic Cummings, when every single person in the universe could see that Cummings was lying, not only set a very poor example for the rest of the country but basically totally scuppered any possible street cred that Boris had had to that point.

Also Boris obviously wanted to hang Whitty and Valance out to dry when he let them announce their worst case predictions in September but as it turns out the only person hung out to dry is Boris - the experts have pretty much been proved bang on the money

Boris needs to go ideally and someone in government that knows what they’re doing, can communicate and then stick by a sensible plan needs to take over. Is there that person though?
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 02-11-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Thanks. What would you do instead - regional lock-downs?

I'd prefer not to get drawn too far into this debate to be honest... but given there seems to still be heated debate about where the rise in cases has come from, it seems a bit haphazard to throw a blanket over everything... gyms, leisure facilities, pubs, restaurants, all opened without a huge rise in cases. When schools and uni's opened there seems to have been a huge rise in cases (possibly co-incidental, i don't really know). So the national lockdown then leaves the schools/unis open and closes everything else!!

Or is it the case that there was always going to be a resurgence of the virus during the winter months? In which case i think a national lockdown may do very little apart from damage the economy even further. If this is the case then unfortunately those at risk should be taking their own responsibility for distancing and how they go about protecting themselves.