Page 337 of 357 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,370 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I’m still not getting the point you’re trying to make Witton. All you’ve effectively shown is that lockdowns suppress the virus, a lack of them doesn’t and something restrictiony in between suppresses it a bit. We already know that thanks
    Sweden suppressed the virus with measures lighter than our Tier 1.
    As Muddy said earlier, the lockdown might have affected the rate of decline, but it's a bit like debating the best route from CP3-CP4 at Sedbergh Hills. You end up in the same place in the end.

I'm not saying lockdowns supress the virus, I'm saying the natural cycle of the virus in the community supressed the virus and the effect of the lockdown on the virus was minimal.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

As far as the debate on 4 weeks or not goes, Vallance used 4 weeks when he did his 50k Cases presentation in September. That was 4 weeks from a positive test, which doesn't factor in the incubation period thought to be 2-20 days.
    Hence (I assume) they have stuck to the 14 days quarantine despite spinning for a while that they might cut it to 7-10 days.
    We are talking averages remember.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Sweden suppressed the virus with measures lighter than our Tier 1.
    As Muddy said earlier, the lockdown might have affected the rate of decline, but it's a bit like debating the best route from CP3-CP4 at Sedbergh Hills. You end up in the same place in the end.

I'm not saying lockdowns supress the virus, I'm saying the natural cycle of the virus in the community supressed the virus and the effect of the lockdown on the virus was minimal.

Now there's a proper debate...!

Although i'd contest that not everyone gets there in the end... it was chaos the year i did it in zero visibility... i think some runners are still out there now...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Now there's a proper debate...!

Although i'd contest that not everyone gets there in the end... it was chaos the year i did it in zero visibility... i think some runners are still out there now...
    Love the race - just hope I can get myself to the level where I can put myself through it again
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Lockdown 1.0 – Following the Science?
    BBC 2 tonight.

Apparently SAGE used Wikipedia to gather data early in the pandemic.

Bit rebellious of the BBC!
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Liverpool.jpg

Noel - just seen this chart for Liverpool, so checked when they went in Tier 3. They were the first to be put in a Tier on 14th October.

So you see, it was already dropping.

Also note there is no discernible steepening in the rate of the drop. If anything there's been a little uptick.

So what effect has the Tier 3 had and what effect has the full lockdown had?
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

I'm saying the natural cycle of the virus in the community supressed the virus and the effect of the lockdown on the virus was minimal.
    WP, Are you becoming a "lock-down denier"?

Liverpool.jpgNoel - just seen this chart for Liverpool, so checked when they went in Tier 3.
    Thanks WP. Interesting indeed. So my interpretation of this is that whatever tier of restrictions they were in prior to entering tier 3 was working. Do you agree? It would be useful to see a graphs of when the previous tier was introduced.

I think we're not at opposite ends of this debate. If it can be shown that less draconian lock-downs work, we should use them. I think the powers that be are taking a cautious approach having acted too late last time. Personally, I welcome this approach, but any data to support that "lock-down light" works, would obviously benefit everyone.

Nothing wrong with a bit of scepticism, scepticism is not denial. Any figures put up to support any viewpoint should be always be open to challenge.

Master
    Today's numbers -

501 deaths [5,655 in the last 14 days]
    16,409 in hospital
    1,430 on ventilation
    22,915 tested positive
    330,059 cases in 14 days
    53,775 deaths within 28 days +ve test
    63,873 with COVID-19 on the death certificate.

were read out on the BBC News in less than a minute, and with far less interest than is associated with the weather report.

We have become numb to this ongoing disaster.