Page 340 of 357 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Noticed no one has posted a link the long awaited Danish study, the most relevant of it's type, in to mask use by the public as an aid to restricting the spread of covid.
    It cannot find any benefit in the use of masks in the public.
    The following quote from the study report undermines the assertion above:
    "These findings do offer evidence about the degree of protection mask wearers can anticipate in a setting where others are not wearing masks and where other public health measures, including social distancing, are in effect. The findings, however, should not be used to conclude that a recommendation for everyone to wear masks in the community would not be effective in reducing SARS-CoV-2 infections, because the trial did not test the role of masks in source control of SARS-CoV-2 infection. During the study period, authorities did not recommend face mask use outside hospital settings and mask use was rare in community settings (22). This means that study participants' exposure was overwhelmingly to persons not wearing masks."
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Noticed no one has posted a link the long awaited Danish study, the most relevant of it's type, in to mask use by the public as an aid to restricting the spread of covid.
    It cannot find any benefit in the use of masks in the public.
    I read about the Danish study but my immediate reaction was that it wasn't all that useful. My understanding was that it was carried out at a time when Danes weren't as a rule wearing masks. Isn't the theory behind mask wearing that you gain some protection if everybody else wears a mask because they will block some of the droplets? So if nobody else was, then it's not all that surprising that the survey found people actually wearing masks weren't protected all that much.

I don't think we know whether masks offer protection or not but when I go into a shop I still prefer other people to be wearing them than not.

Edit. When I posted the above, I'd not seen the Grump's post but I think that makes the same point.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 20-11-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Landmark Danish study shows no significant effect.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...d-of-covid-19-
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Landmark Danish study shows no significant effect.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...d-of-covid-19-
    So you choose to dismiss the explicit and clear qualification to the study findings in the report published by those, who conducted the study, in preference for an interpretation by a journalist?
    I. Bickerstaff

Master
    [QUOTE=Muddy Retriever;669697]"I read about the Danish study but my immediate reaction was that it wasn't all that useful. My understanding was that it was carried out at a time when Danes weren't as a rule wearing masks. Isn't the theory behind mask wearing that you gain some protection if everybody else wears a mask because they will block some of the droplets? So if nobody else was, then it's not all that surprising that the survey found people actually wearing masks weren't protected all that much.

I don't think we know whether masks offer protection or not but when I go into a shop I still prefer other people to be wearing them than not."

Agreed. As to face shields without a mask - no thanks. They are meant to be worn with a mask to help protect the eyes of the wearer. Without a mask they project exhaled breath down onto whatever the wearer has in their hands - drinks, food, purchases - or onto the head of the person whose hair they are cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    So you choose to dismiss the explicit and clear qualification to the study findings in the report published by those, who conducted the study, in preference for an interpretation by a journalist?
    A journalist?

It was written by an Epidemiologist who works in Italy and has worked for UK and Australian Governments along with a Professor of Evidence based medicine.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

But why make a fuss about wearing face masks at all? It’s such a simple thing to do. Surgeons and dentists have been wearing them since time immemorial. They’re reassuring to others. They show you care about others and not just yourself. And they almost certainly reduce the potential to spread covid if you’ve got it and reduce the chances of catching it you haven’t. But even if they had zero effect it’s no biggy to pop on a mask.

Yeah that sounds about right. There’s a guy where I live who refuses to wear one in shops n that. He told me, quite aggressively, tother day “ I’ve SEEN the truth”
    I sort of made that noise Mr Breeze makes. What is it? “Mmmh” or summat? Seemed appropriate
    What harm can wearing one do?

A journalist?

It was written by an Epidemiologist who works in Italy and has worked for UK and Australian Governments along with a Professor of Evidence based medicine.
    Answer the question.
    I. Bickerstaff

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Answer the question.
    maybe pose a question that stacks up.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell