Page 347 of 357 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,470 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I can foresee the Witton “but they would’ve died anyway” argument incoming
    No, but what you will get is me reminiscing to the time when my parents were due to meet up with me pre-Covid as I was looking after my grand-daughter for the day and they rang me up to say one of them was feeling a bit under the weather so they called it off.

Personal responsibility was once a thing in this country. We were allowed to use our own reasonable judgement and some people didn't get on board of course, but most did.

Fell races will be completely flagged the way things are going.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I can foresee the Witton “but they would’ve died anyway” argument incoming
    I'm struggling to see how helpful that post is Stolly. I always think we should let people speak for themselves rather than trying, uninvited, to (mis) represent what we expect them to say in a goading manner.

At a deeper level, I really do wonder whether you're actually voicing some of your own thoughts there, but feel uncomfortable with them and so need to attribute them to someone else? Just saying !
    Am Yisrael Chai

Im sure most people with a brain inwardly acknowledge that families and friends meeting up for Christmas is a bad idea, the government also recognise this but realise they will not stop it happening. So a relatively controlled bad idea is better than an uncontrolled bad idea.

I'm sure there will be a knock on of deaths a few weeks later when elderly relatives who have been taken in for Christmas and received a dose from the grand children or whoever are hospitalised and die - and I predict this will be seen as the governments fault for allowing Christmas .

The lockdowns and tier system now is simply trying to get another step up the ladder ahead of the virus before we all fall 3 steps back down in the New year. The great British public will do what the great British public want to do, and then blame someone else.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

There is always an increase in respiratory deaths among old people in January and it has always been put down to mixing around Christmas, no reason why this year should be any different except that for some reason death from a seasonal respiratory illness seems no longer to be considered a normal event. Did anyone worry last year when they had a sniffle on Christmas Day but still hugged granny?
    My freedom does not end where your fear begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    No, but what you will get is me reminiscing to the time when my parents were due to meet up with me pre-Covid as I was looking after my grand-daughter for the day and they rang me up to say one of them was feeling a bit under the weather so they called it off.

Personal responsibility was once a thing in this country. We were allowed to use our own reasonable judgement and some people didn't get on board of course, but most did.

Fell races will be completely flagged the way things are going.
    Agree with all that. What bugs me though is that everyone seems to forget that you can have covid and be able to spread it with no symptoms appearing for up to 14 days. So meeting people while feeling fine is no guarantee. And meeting people for up to five days in doors is asking for trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Wetherby whaler View Post
    There is always an increase in respiratory deaths among old people in January and it has always been put down to mixing around Christmas, no reason why this year should be any different except that for some reason death from a seasonal respiratory illness seems no longer to be considered a normal event. Did anyone worry last year when they had a sniffle on Christmas Day but still hugged granny?
    Except that...

Covid is far more contagious than flu

And about ten times more deadly

Where have you been hiding your head in the sand since March?
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 27-11-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wetherby whaler View Post
    I would hazard a guess that the main killer is flu, and I would point out that there is a vaccine for flu, every year and free for oldies. So lots of grannies would not be susceptible to flu and those that chose not to receive the vaccination and subsequently die from influenza are less than careful.
    Covid is flu without a vaccination and worse.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I would hazard a guess that the main killer is flu, and I would point out that there is a vaccine for flu, every year and free for oldies. So lots of grannies would not be susceptible to flu and those that chose not to receive the vaccination and subsequently die from influenza are less than careful.
    Covid is flu without a vaccination and worse.
    The flu vaccine isn't without controversy. There are people in the field who don't like it, who think it's relatively poor performance doesn't justify the expense of it, but it is a nive annual revenue stream for the pharma industry.

But leave that aside for the moment, Stolly says that "Covid is far more contagious than flu".

Sure, when it was new, like any new virus, you have a population that is more susceptible.

As it settles and reaches an equilibrium with the human race, public immunity builds, it will most likely be at a similar level to flu.

The problem is, because of the poor data that we have, we don't know for sure.

What we do know is that so far this Autumn, the statistics show that we are having less cases of respiratory illness, less admissions to hospital and fatalities as a result, when compared to 2 other autumns in the last 6 years.

Remove the COVID label, this is an unremarkable Autumn.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

The fact that many of us are actually distancing, washing hands, wearing masks and not been in a crowded pub or anywhere else for 8 months, has meant all viral coughs and colds are not being transmitted as normal. I haven't had a sniffle all year, who has had a cold virus this autumn? Not many who are carefull I bet, I'm happy with that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

Remove the COVID label, this is an unremarkable Autumn.
    ..... apart from the high, and increasing, number of excess deaths.

https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/static...nd-latest.html