Page 47 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Not at all. I suspect Forum usage has regained the dizzy viewing figures associated with the heady champagne years of Yorkshire Thug. Which I attribute all to you.

Or that virus.
    Maybe a few old stalwarts will join us!
    Perhaps spelling bee, khamsin or indeed Yorkshire thug! Might keep you busy ;-)

Master
    The BBC defending the Panorama PPE program:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/st...ama-mon-27-apr

England Athletics have increased the suspension of all "licensed competitions" until end of June... with an announcement on wider athletics activities after the 4th May government update...

I'm not entirely sure what this means, but does this put the kybosh on FRA races until end of June...?

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    England Athletics have increased the suspension of all "licensed competitions" until end of June... with an announcement on wider athletics activities after the 4th May government update...

I'm not entirely sure what this means, but does this put the kybosh on FRA races until end of June...?
    I think so Travs.

My relays are still pencilled in for end June but I haven't registered them, and I'll use a private insurance cover if the Park and guidelines allow it by then.
    I can put it on at about 10-14 days notice so ready to go as soon as I get the nod.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Jonathan Van-Tam is the best "expert" at these daily press conferences. Class act.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Although i note that "wider athletic activity" restrictions have not yet been extended past end of May... this is to await the government update scheduled for next week... so still a slim hope for clubs/training for June...!

I'd just hope travel restrictions might be lifted before June as i have some fell-related stuff planned (and accommodation booked!).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    The BBC defending the Panorama PPE program:

[url]https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre
    Examine who featured: they were all rabid labour activists , and then you know all you need to about the objectivity.
    There are Many posts in media detailing who these labour activists are , and their history.

You would NEVER accept a “documentary” as objective if it featured only Farage, Gove, Cummings, and Johnson on Brexit.

Now view this panorama mockumentary through the same eyes.

I well remember BBC journalists jumping on the bandwagon as to why we were not in the EU procurement scheme . A scheme they failed to draw to people’s attention had never delivered a single glove!

BBC lost its way five years ago.

Facts.
    1 PPE procurement is hard in a world that
    1/Suppliers are frequently cancelling contracts with an EU demonstrably every man for himself,
    2 those actually doing the procurement have done very well. There have been local problems, but on the whole the coverage has been good:there are problems in time of war. I know, I speak to a couple of the High up dept of health procurement officers. All the journalists want to talk about are the exceptions.

Shall we pretend the only surgery done in the NHS, is that Which leads to billions of negligence claims a year?
    Or do we accept It is normally high standard?
    Panorama - on PPE - picked the first.

3/ I have lost count of the twitter feeds of senior nurses saying “ we have no problem here” in such and such health authority.

4/ noting that is not the governments job or blame to get PPE! so why blame them?

The kicker:
    / 5/ There is scant statistical evidence NHS staff ARE at substantially greater risk , a risk they accept if they want to be medics. So the entire row is largely confected.

My conclusion?
    We have a bunch of prima donnas.
    They should work in the conditions of poor EU country health services. most of them would not last a day.
    Last edited by Oracle; 29-04-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Master
    The risks to NHS and Care staff are not yet clear. I certainly did not sign up to put my life, and that of my family and friends, at "substantially greater risk".

As to the competence or otherwise of this Goverment's PPE procurements, we will have to agree to disagree. As the BBC rebuttal says, none of the revelations were from the staff interviewed. Just because you are a Labour supporter does not mean you cannot have inadequate PPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    The risks to NHS and Care staff are not yet clear. I certainly did not sign up to put my life, and that of my family and friends, at "substantially greater risk".

As to the competence or otherwise of this Goverment's PPE procurements, we will have to agree to disagree. As the BBC rebuttal says, none of the revelations were from the staff interviewed. Just because you are a Labour supporter does not mean you cannot have inadequate PPE.
    Based on the figures Mike, the NHS worker is less at risk than society in general. Perhaps as Oracle says, because most of the patients in hospital have passed the infectious stage, but also perhaps because unlike most, NHS workers do have PPE and are well versed in the procedures needed.

One thing I would say about Panorama and NHS "spokespersons" is that you won't find a Tory backing Brexiteer among them ,because they are shit scared to speak out apart from a few of the prominent Tories that have gone back in to the NHS during the crisis like Maria Caulfield - I note they didn't interview her for the programme.
    The Tory NHS workers fear the effect on career prospects. Some even fear intimidation and threats from colleagues.
    The irony is, there might be more Tory voters among the NHS than Labour, they just don't threaten and intimidate.
    I speak with some experience on this matter by the way.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 29-04-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Construction industry is taking off again... our main client opening their sites later this week... we have been told to expect "return to work" notice to follow sooner rather than later (although i'm in my first week of furlough so have another two mandatory weeks before i can go back).

Encouraging signs (although completely acknowledge that the construction industry is a government priority).