Page 59 of 357 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I think Hancock said it needs to be in proximity for 10-15 minutes.
    It sounds pretty well thought out to me.
    Thanks Wheeze, that sounds more workable but raises the question of if it takes 10-15 minutes in close proximity to flag up an alert are some of the current social distancing rules unduly restrictive?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    For those who can't be bothered to establish the facts, the NHS app uses Bluetooth.
    https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/...-app-explainer

Bluetooth

Of all the fancy-dan things on my phone, bluetooth is probably the least reliable!

Anyone remember those radio-controlled cars you might have had as a kid? I went to a Radio Controlled Car themed birthday party aged about 12 in someone's back garden. About 20 of us trying to race our cars, all working off similar radio frequencies... absolute chaos, cars everywhere.... my car won because it was so old that it had an actual wire connecting the car to the controller, thus didn't use radio!

This is rather an alarming statement from TheGump's link posted above...

If the NHS later discovers that your diagnosis was wrong (and your reported symptoms are not coronavirus), the other users will receive another alert, letting them know if they can stop self-isolating.

Which would seem to indicate that the NHS are not exactly awash with confidence over test results...!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post

There will be much talk about mental health after this, personally I think the negative press approach and public internet moaning will do more harm than anything else.
    That's so true Mole. It's a pity no one can or will be brought to account for harm and anxiety they will have caused to a large number of sufferers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    That's so true Mole. It's a pity no one can or will be brought to account for harm and anxiety they will have caused to a large number of sufferers.
    We could start with the majority of BBC presenters/reporters.

And no, I shan't be downloading the app. I don't usually run with my phone and most of the time it sits in my car. I'm certainly not going to put myself in the position where I have to self isolate for 14 days due to a notification that my phone might have been in close contact with a carrier that has walked past my car!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    We could start with the majority of BBC presenters/reporters.

And no, I shan't be downloading the app. I don't usually run with my phone and most of the time it sits in my car. I'm certainly not going to put myself in the position where I have to self isolate for 14 days due to a notification that my phone might have been in close contact with a carrier that has walked past my car!
    Sorry Llani but we have suggested scrapping the bbc so that lot are out of work anyway. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    This is rather an alarming statement from TheGump's link posted above...

If the NHS later discovers that your diagnosis was wrong (and your reported symptoms are not coronavirus), the other users will receive another alert, letting them know if they can stop self-isolating.

Which would seem to indicate that the NHS are not exactly awash with confidence over test results...!
    Another quote taken out of context.
    Where does the full statement explicitly mention a test?
    It is primarily about self diagnosis.
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Another quote taken out of context.
    Where does the full statement explicitly mention a test?
    It is primarily about self diagnosis.
    Understood... which is why i said it would "seem" to indicate that there is a margin for error there... perhaps i should have said in testing OR diagnosis. I mentioned unreliable testing as i have a distant family member who sadly passed away, who was tested negative in hospital for Corona, but the doctors said no it is definitely Corona.... it now turns out it may not have been Corona after all and a series of mistakes were made with regard to several elements of his testing/diagnosis/treatment, but i'd rather not go too far into that...

In a way that is similarly, if not more, alarming, if we are expecting unqualified members of public to report themselves as having Corona symptoms, and then asking everybody they have been in contact with to isolate themselves based on their say so...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Understood... which is why i said it would "seem" to indicate that there is a margin for error there... perhaps i should have said in testing OR diagnosis. I mentioned unreliable testing as i have a distant family member who sadly passed away, who was tested negative in hospital for Corona, but the doctors said no it is definitely Corona.... it now turns out it may not have been Corona after all and a series of mistakes were made with regard to several elements of his testing/diagnosis/treatment, but i'd rather not go too far into that...

In a way that is similarly, if not more, alarming, if we are expecting unqualified members of public to report themselves as having Corona symptoms, and then asking everybody they have been in contact with to isolate themselves based on their say so...
    I cannot find it now, but I can remember commenting to my partner about a report on NHS staff who were self isolating as they thought they had, or might have, Covid. When tested, only a tiny proportion actually had it, less than 20%. I know some tests have a significant false negative rate, but even so. And if you look at the overall number of tests, and the number of cases, the same applies. Most who are tested have not got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs
    IIn a way that is similarly, if not more, alarming, if we are expecting unqualified members of public to report themselves as having Corona symptoms, and then asking everybody they have been in contact with to isolate themselves based on their say so...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I cannot find it now, but I can remember commenting to my partner about a report on NHS staff who were self isolating as they thought they had, or might have, Covid. When tested, only a tiny proportion actually had it, less than 20%. I know some tests have a significant false negative rate, but even so. And if you look at the overall number of tests, and the number of cases, the same applies. Most who are tested have not got it.
    This is quite an interesting read, where a person is absolutely convinced that she's had the virus (and as you read her story you think, she must have done too). She gets one of the new antibody tests and it turns out that she hasn't.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...ody-test-find/

As she says at the end:

“Fifty per cent of the people I speak to think they have had Covid-19. This is a cautionary tale.”