Page 80 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by jackd View Post
    What you fail to mention, and is conveniently hidden behind the telegraph's paywall, is that the study was carried out in Australia.

The researcher who conducted the study said it could not be used to make any recommendations on uk policy decisions, as the rates of infection between the two nations are not comparable.

As for the rest of your rant, I refer you to my previous reply to you.
    Indeed, Victoria Derbyshire was giving someone a bit of grief about how the Australians were handling it. It occurred to me that the Aussies are operating in totally different climatic conditions.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Indeed, Victoria Derbyshire was giving someone a bit of grief about how the Australians were handling it. It occurred to me that the Aussies are operating in totally different climatic conditions.
    not that different if you're in Adelaide or Melbourne.

It was presented as more evidence. I don't see anything wrong with that - it's exactly what it is.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    not that different if you're in Adelaide or Melbourne.

It was presented as more evidence. I don't see anything wrong with that - it's exactly what it is.
    The study does not apply to the uk. Its not because of the climate. Its because they have only had 99 deaths in total, and 15 new cases of infection today.

What are we at now? 35000+ deaths? How many new cases today? More than 15 by a fair way.

What they do in Australia can't really be applied here
    ...yet, as the researcher who carried out the study we are discussing, pointed out on the radio this morning.

Its being used by the Telegraph and those of an anti teacher / public sector opinion to roll out the 'lazy skiver' and 'millitant unions' message. Its the Daily Mail with longer sentences.

The study does not apply to the uk. Its not because of the climate. Its because they have only had 99 deaths in total, and 15 new cases of infection today.

What are we at now? 35000+ deaths? How many new cases today? More than 15 by a fair way.

What they do in Australia can't really be applied here
    ...yet, as the researcher who carried out the study we are discussing, pointed out on the radio this morning.

Its being used by the Telegraph and those of an anti teacher / public sector opinion to roll out the 'lazy skiver' and 'millitant unions' message. Its the Daily Mail with longer sentences.
    I have to completely disagree with you.

Our team on the SAGE group will be looking at all evidence from other countries and working out if an how it might apply here and help them offer better advise to Government.

It's not whether it can be applied here. It's whether any information could be useful, and evidence of infections in schools would be relevant from Australia, Singapore, Denmark...
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I have to completely disagree with you.

Our team on the SAGE group will be looking at all evidence from other countries and working out if an how it might apply here and help them offer better advise to Government.

It's not whether it can be applied here. It's whether any information could be useful, and evidence of infections in schools would be relevant from Australia, Singapore, Denmark...
    Well, I happen to agree with you. I agree all evidence should be considered. My point is not about the study in and of itself, nor what it's conclusions are. It's the way it's been politicised by the tory press and the anti union / teacher brigade.

I think I said it did not apply here yet. Of course it may be useful to help the planning, I don't dispute that. It's the Telegraph and others using it as a tool to bash the teachers & their unions that is my concern. Australia is in a very different situation to us and what applies there does not apply here at the moment. I'm not saying don't look to other countries (perhaps we should have sooner) I'm saying don't take these studies and their findings out of context. The researcher who led the study said something similar on the Today programme this morning.
    Last edited by jackd; 18-05-2020 at 09:57 PM.

Its the Daily Mail with longer sentences.
    That's rather good. And I read the DT.

I like the crossword.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-05-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

In my experience, the Guardian cryptic crossword is more taxing than it’s DT equivalent.

Quote Originally Posted by harv View Post
    In my experience, the Guardian cryptic crossword is more taxing than it’s DT equivalent.
    Maybe so but its politics!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    That's rather DT.
    How is the young man?

Banned
    1/ There is no such thing as safe. Bugs are an occupational hazard in schools.

2/ The case for closure was borderline. Teachers “ self isolating “ and unions forced the closures due to too low staffing. They should still have kept the schools open. Others could have come in in absentia.

3/ doing half a job from home is stuffing all others who want to work, but teachers deciding parents have to look after there own kids. Selfish is the word. At what point did you consider others who want to go into work?

4/ If you all stood up to your unions , you would be back in work already. They are a convenient excuse. My parents were teachers . NAS and NUT were lefty troublemakers back then. Hated by most teachers, but too few were willing to stand up to them.

Schools have form.

I refer to the icy period several years ago.
    Schools (and all those who get paid regardless) decided it was too dangerous to go into school.

All those who have to go into work to get paid, made it. All those who had to make it to my house had no problem doing it. But it was too dangerous for teachers.

Seriously.
    With the attitude problem in the public sector of schools, transport workers, local authorities we would have lost the war.

I don’t know many private sector workers who invest in cayman either. Total red herring. Average teacher retirement age is still 60. Unaffordable.

All I am arguing for is parity.

I can't let that bit of teacher / public sector bashing go without comment. As a teacher, about to log on to my schools home learning platform to mark work, set more work and deal with pupils queries, I find your post quite offensive and a little disappointing.

We are not on strike, the unions are not 'whinging about anything and everything'. We are working within the limitations placed upon us by the government. Speaking for myself (and all the teachers I am in contact with have said the same) we would much rather be back at work and getting on as normal. The union are simply doing their job of checking that it will be safe to do so when we do return. Not just for teachers sake, but also the kids, parents, grandparents and the wider community who have regular contact with school kids and staff.

If the government didn't have the advice that shutting schools was as necessary as the other measures, they would not have closed. The unions didn't shut the schools the Government did.

Can we give the 'public v private' sector argument a rest? In a modern diverse economy, we all know one could not function without the other. The entrepreneur needs a literate and numerate worker, who is healthy and can get to and from work using the infrastructure provided. Don't forget, all the public sector pay their taxes (I don't know many teachers taking advantage of 'tax efficient' investment opportunities registered in the Cayman Islands) and contribute to the economy.

If we went all the way down the free market liberal capitalism road, how do you think we would be faring now with the current crisis? It's the government propping up the economy at the moment, not business 'paying 100% for corona virus'. And as for 'not a penny from the public sector', lets wait and see the more familiar side of this government when it comes to who actually pays for the amount of government borrowing going on. Remember austerity? Remember the cuts? And where did all that QE money go? A lot of already rich people got quite a bit richer after the last round of disaster capitalism. I doubt anything has really changed.

Got to go to work, from home for the time being.
    Last edited by Oracle; 19-05-2020 at 01:09 AM.