Page 84 of 357 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

In March Sage was trusted, less so now, especially as they will not publish the basis of their advice. IMO one size fits all policy may not be appropriate, in some areas the infection rate is low and falling, in others esp in the NE and the NW ( Barrow?) It remains high . Surely local conditions should influence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It's a contradiction.

I have stopped work because the Govt advisor has told me to do so.

I refuse to go back to work even though the Govt advisor has told me to do so.

and ensuring is something that cannot be done.
    There is no refusal, what is taking place is a consultative process between those responsible for managing and running schools, the parents and pupils and those telling them to open.

“Ensure safe” means go through the risk assessment, which is where they are just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    There is no refusal, what is taking place is a consultative process between those responsible for managing and running schools, the parents and pupils and those telling them to open.

“Ensure safe” means go through the risk assessment, which is where they are just now.

Good point, I didn't spot that straw man in Witton Park's post.

My Mother in Law has metastatic breast cancer. She has received excellent private care from the Yorkshire Clinic over the last 7 years. Due to to SARS Cov2 policies and a recent deterioration she has been admitted to Bradford Royal Infirmary this week. Yorkshire Clinic has been given over to COVID apparently, although I’m not sure they have seen any cases. Her care has been nothing short of shite at BRI. She is not the sort of woman to complain, but she was left sat on a chair for 12 hours with abdominal pain and difficulty breathing whilst FOUR nurses sat there talking about their holidays and fannying about on their phones despite her constantly asking when she could have a bed to get some rest. She was told it was because they had to wait for a COVID test result and that the person who runs the tests had gone home! wouldn’t you think someone would be running these tests 24/7? I have furloughed vet nurses who could be trained to run these tests and would be willing to do so on a voluntary basis. This is the problem with the NHS, management is poor and there is no joined up thinking. She had a chest scan today to check for blood clots ( why they are focusing on blood clots is beyond me and I have plenty of medical knowledge) and they didn’t include her liver in the scan despite her having metastatic cancer here and pain in this area. I appreciate it may not change the outcome, but patients need to have a plan and after four days this is not forthcoming. I guarantee you that my canine patients receive better care than this ( and have done even in ‘normal times’). It’s time we realised private medicine is the way forward to save the wastage and poor management in the NHS and hold people accountable for their work. SARS CoV2 is becoming an excuse for poor care and demands for wage increases. It is not acceptable.

And yes, it will be the private sector that pays for the country to get back on its feet and it will be the private sector that takes the biggest hit in having to pay off the debts. Public sector pay will be protected whilst the wages of private sector workers are not guaranteed.

My five year old son has a benign bone tumour in his humerus. He needed an MRI last year under general anaesthesia. I had the foresight to take medical insurance out for the family some time ago, but as he needed a GA he had to go to Sheffield children’s hospital. It led to some issues regarding costs with our insurer. The Private Liaison manager at Sheffield admitted that the NHS have no idea what an MRI and GA actually costs and that they just plucked it out of thin air! I nearly fell over when he said this. If I didn’t know what it cost me to anaesthetise a dog and perform an MRI scan on it I’d be a) out of business and b) in trouble with most pet insurance companies. The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. And so is the case with schools. The evidence from many countries and studies suggests that children are low risk for catching the virus and spreading it. It’s time schools started the process of getting back to work properly. My Mum is a primary school teacher and thinks children should be going back now. They’ve had plenty of time to risk assess. I had to risk assess my workplace in a night after lockdown was announced. I was expected to be open to provide emergency treatment for animal welfare reasons and to ensure food chain supply. I’d rather have shut for a bit to be honest to take stock of the situation. There was no room for a ‘consultative process’ that plagues public sector industries. We just had to bloody well get on with it and use our common sense.
    Last edited by brummievet; 21-05-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackd View Post
    Good point, I didn't spot that straw man in Witton Park's post.
    Teachers have been advised not to engage with Schools.

A risk assessment doesn't mean ensure safe, you can only reduce the level of risk by implementing control measures not ensure there isn't any risk.

You didn't spot that straw man because there wasn't one.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post
    My Mother in Law has metastatic breast cancer. She has received excellent private care from the Yorkshire Clinic over the last 7 years. Due to to SARS Cov2 policies and a recent deterioration she has been admitted to Bradford Royal Infirmary this week. Yorkshire Clinic has been given over to COVID apparently, although I’m not sure they have seen any cases. Her care has been nothing short of shite at BRI. She is not the sort of woman to complain, but she was left sat on a chair for 12 hours with abdominal pain and difficulty breathing whilst FOUR nurses sat there talking about their holidays and fannying about on their phones despite her constantly asking when she could have a bed to get some rest. She was told it was because they had to wait for a COVID test result and that the person who runs the tests had gone home! wouldn’t you think someone would be running these tests 24/7? I have furloughed vet nurses who could be trained to run these tests and would be willing to do so on a voluntary basis. This is the problem with the NHS, management is poor and there is no joined up thinking. She had a chest scan today to check for blood clots ( why they are focusing on blood clots is beyond me and I have plenty of medical knowledge) and they didn’t include her liver in the scan despite her having metastatic cancer here and pain in this area. I appreciate it may not change the outcome, but patients need to have a plan and after four days this is not forthcoming. I guarantee you that my canine patients receive better care than this ( and have done even in ‘normal times’). It’s time we realised private medicine is the way forward to save the wastage and poor management in the NHS and hold people accountable for their work. SARS CoV2 is becoming an excuse for poor care and demands for wage increases. It is not acceptable.

And yes, it will be the private sector that pays for the country to get back on its feet and it will be the private sector that takes the biggest hit in having to pay off the debts. Public sector pay will be protected whilst the wages of private sector workers are not guaranteed.

My five year old son has a benign bone tumour in his humerus. He needed an MRI last year under general anaesthesia. I had the foresight to take medical insurance out for the family some time ago, but as he needed a GA he had to go to Sheffield children’s hospital. It led to some issues regarding costs with our insurer. The Private Liaison manager at Sheffield admitted that the NHS have no idea what an MRI and GA actually costs and that they just plucked it out of thin air! I nearly fell over when he said this. If I didn’t know what it cost me to anaesthetise a dog and perform an MRI scan on it I’d be a) out of business and b) in trouble with most pet insurance companies. The whole thing is utterly ridiculous. And so is the case with schools. The evidence from many countries and studies suggests that children are low risk for catching the virus and spreading it. It’s time schools started the process of getting back to work properly. My Mum is a primary school teacher and thinks children should be going back now. They’ve had plenty of time to risk assess. I had to risk assess my workplace in a night after lockdown was announced. I was expected to be open to provide emergency treatment for animal welfare reasons and to ensure food chain supply. I’d rather have shut for a bit to be honest to take stock of the situation. There was no room for a ‘consultative process’ that plagues public sector industries. We just had to bloody well get on with it and use our common sense.
    I can't disagree with you on anything. Hope your mother-in-law is OK, Someone will probably find a straw man in there somewhere
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by jackd View Post
    And there it is in a nutshell.

Well put Steph.
    Keep up the good work, Jackd. I think you'll find there are a lot more people supporting you (the quiet ones) than are against you (the rude, shouty ones).
    Last edited by GeoffB; 21-05-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Keep up the good work, Jackd. I think you'll find there are a lot more people supporting you (the quite ones) than are against you (the rude, shouty ones).
    Jack tends to attract the passive aggressives
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by brummievet View Post

Totally agree. And when furlough ends, and the mass redundancies start, everyone else will see it

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Totally agree. And when furlough ends, and the mass redundancies start, everyone else will see it
    Shit happens. Been through it before.

Could not have been avoided.

Lessons may be learnt but all in all I respect what the government has done.