Page 92 of 357 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Master
    Cummings didn't obey lockdown so it's off with his head. I'd go further. I think it's time for Boris to call it a day, he's just not up to the job. It's not his fault he got Covid but it is his fault he chose to father yet another child at a time in life when he should be dedicating his time to being PM. His mind isn't on the job. Should have listened to Gove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWYhJyGsPU
    Last edited by CL; 26-05-2020 at 12:44 AM.

Banned
    I pointed out that “ single parent “ in the context of the “ feeding Britain” parliamentary report ( ie one parent, the other left, not one breadwinner) - so not a norm from History, was the single biggest Factor in determining child poverty, and that society has wrongly allowed this unaffordable unsustainable mode of living to become an accepted norm, starting with Wilson’s government, encouraged by Blair and brown.

No confusion at all. You seemed to argue. I presume you now agree on that basis?

The pension problem will get worse with every year that passes. Already retired at 57 had at least some period of positive growth in the earlier year pre QE and he will have missed the latest equity crash.

Public Final salary schemes Will go further in debt every year that passes now we have central bank enforced savings destruction. The presumption of cheap money lunacy was that government borrowing gradually erodes in real term debt to GDP , provided interest/ inflation rates are kept below growth rate, and budgets are balanced enough to avoid debt expansion to erode the difference.

One problem with the cheap money fantasy, is that presumes government is not also relying on savings return. Alas public sector pension provision relies on just that to erode the difference between contributions and payments, or though some is run as a PonzI scheme!

the mother of crashes will be Made worse by the refusal to put some of the cost onto the public sector, and the fight that ensues and strike threats if ever a government tries to tackle the impossible pensions, shows how unrealistic the unions are.

The contrast in behaviour was only too visible in gregg Wallace’s programme about loo roll last night. Business accepted it couldn’t close and just got on with it. Adapting procedures to do what it can to make it safer. It is putting out record quantities.

Schools should have learned from the can do attitude.
    Start from the basis of output must not suffer.

Compare that with my experience with the pensions regulator, they say is Operating on skeleton capacity because of Covid, why? What possible justification?

Anyway , I’ve laboured the point enough.
    Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    No, you are the one who treated single breadwinners and single parents the same:

I'm not sure why your main response was referring to pensions, when I didn't mention them to you. But actually I agree with much of what you say, although my emphasis would be more on increasing the retirement age than on making pensions less generous. Which is why I am particularly p****d off that, due to the actions of one idiotic senior manager, it looks like I will be retiring at 62 when I would be happy to go on to at least 67, there is plenty of work for me to do, and my colleagues would all agree that I would do it well. But that's another long story . . . .

And before you start saying that this is typical of the public sector . . . my brother worked in the private sector throughout his career, but retired at 57 (!) because of idiotic managers making his life miserable. And his private sector pension must have been pretty generous to make this possible.
    Last edited by Oracle; 26-05-2020 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    But it's not my opinion Graham that PMI should be compulsory.
    Accepted CL. I was making general points from a position of knowledge and experience - as we would expect from each other
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    Right.

Let's have everybody back to work on June 1st.

No excuses, the economic crisis is key and we hope to stop the down turn.

PS if your over 65 keep out of the way.

Banned
    I disagree, Boris has done well considering the hand he was dealt.

It is easy to forget.
    He managed to get EU to re negotiate , then deliver a deal with:
    A minority government , a Parliament , a civil service, courts, an electoral commission , even the BBC intent on scuppering it, with endless legal challenges, and a Supreme Court and speaker both acting beyond powers.

Then getting agreement to conducting and fighting and winning a bruising general election using sheer optimism as the prime weapon.

The shameful media and opposition then attack him for needing a holiday. Nobody could have predicted Brexit, and he is entitled to children , if that’s what he wants. Most PMs have done so before him. Boris gets singled out , even by you, for criticism for things all previous pms have done.

Then he has had the single hardest job any peacetime PM has ever had.

Covid , with the disruption of supply chains, the no win decisions on shutting down parts of the economy, the always arrogant medical profession attacking him whatever he decides even though they cannot agree with themselves. The determination of unions to cause as much aggravation as they can, and a London mayor who clearly is not up to the job at the epicentre.

To cap it all, a week in intensive care. It knocks you out for a month. I had it.

Behind the scenes running our negotiations to leaving the EU

No other current politician could have done it all. Certainly not the opportunistic Gove who is a lightweight, or anyone on either front bench.

As for Cummings that argument too Is blown out of proportion.
    The real breach of lockdown and distancing is the media scrum on cummings doorstep for weeks.

Do you support action against them? The police should have fined them and moved them on long ago.
    But then the police were lining Westminster bridge in a breach of lockdown. They are no paragons.

What about corbyn taking his wife into Parliament? A completely unnecessary trip In violation of lockdown. Largely ignored by media. Should have been fined and barred from the commons.

The problem with Cummings is people don’t like him. He is determined to change our feckless and undemocratic civil service. That makes enemies everywhere.

Cummings had to make a decision on how to cope with his family.I’ve little doubt the police will challenge it.

Unlike corbyn and the media scrum ,Cummings action wasn’t voluntary, he didn’t volunteer for covid and didn’t know if he and his wife would survive it.

Cummings didn't obey lockdown so it's off with his head. I'd go further. I think it's time for Boris to call it a day, he's just not up to the job. It's not his fault he got Covid but it is his fault he chose to father yet another child at a time in life when he should be dedicating his time to being PM. His mind isn't on the job. Should have listened to Gove: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWYhJyGsPU
    Last edited by Oracle; 26-05-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Master
    Entitled? So are the Men with 15 kids from 15 different Women. We all know the type and all I'm saying is it reflects very badly on the prime minister's judgement. He was once asked by Nick Ferrari how many children he has and he wouldn't answer.

I have no beef against Boris, I want him to succeed, but he's not up to the job Oracle. I had no beef against Cummings (except he thinks he can make and break laws at the same time) either but Boris should sack him. The pair of them look stupid beyond belief; it's obvious to a goat. They really think they can pull the wool over the public's eyes on this. And hey Oracle I want Brexit too.

As for Gove I'm no fan either. But his 2016 judgement of Boris is holding ground.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Accepted CL. I was making general points from a position of knowledge and experience - as we would expect from each other
    Of course you were Graham. As you've proudly told us in the past you have members of your family working at NHS hospitals. Am I therefore correct in assuming bias and sympathy toward state run health care?

Entitled? So are the Men with 15 kids from 15 different Women. We all know the type and all I'm saying is it reflects very badly on the prime minister's judgement. He was once asked by Nick Ferrari how many children he has and he wouldn't answer.

I have no beef against Boris, I want him to succeed, but he's not up to the job Oracle. I had no beef against Cummings (except he thinks he can make and break laws at the same time) either but Boris should sack him. The pair of them look stupid beyond belief; it's obvious to a goat. They really think they can pull the wool over the public's eyes on this. And hey Oracle I want Brexit too.

As for Gove I'm no fan either. But his 2016 judgement of Boris is holding ground.
    I'm not sure who would be entirely up to the job of handling the current situation. I think luck more than management is key.
    No western European country has managed it well, but the ones with the lowest death per capita have probably had a degree of luck on their side.

COVID aside, Boris has handled his tenure extremely well, with able support from his team including Cummings.

He saw through a period of minority, cleared out some deadwood, managed to spook the opposition in to a GE they didn't want, won a large majority, renegotiated the arrangements to leave, left, enshrined in law no extension, started setting about the manifesto programme...…

So COVID aside, he's shown to be able.

and if Cumming's has broken a law, the police would be charging him.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Law or not he broke his own government guidance.

Stay at home. He didn't.
    Essential travelling only. Not in my opinion.

The government gave us guidance, we obeyed.

Its about trust, ethics, etiquette, manners and unwritten rules.

Break the trust of the people and you will break their will.

The same law for everyone seems to be the mantra, so if Cummings is sacked for breaking government guidance does this mean every member of the public that breaks the guidance should lose their jobs? Only fair.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.