Page 93 of 357 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

I have a question.
    Spain are opening up for holidays sometime soon, so if someone from UK books 2 weeks official work holiday in Spain on the beach, when they return to UK they will have to quarantine for a further 2 weeks. Gives them 4 weeks off work, who pays them during quarantine?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I have a question.
    Spain are opening up for holidays sometime soon, so if someone from UK books 2 weeks official work holiday in Spain on the beach, when they return to UK they will have to quarantine for a further 2 weeks. Gives them 4 weeks off work, who pays them during quarantine?
    I suspect you wont like the answer: on the other hand it is a "self inflicted" loss.

There is a chink of light....in portugal at least, they are looking at a bilateral agreement to avoid the quarantine. Maybe that will result in similar agreements.

It is so impractical that I do not think it will happen for long. It will kill not only tourism abroad but also tourism here. It will also kill essential international trade visits. Not that anyone seems to care about the engine room of the economy.

We are interested in the answer, because we intend returning to portugal for a month starting in a weeks time, but have to get back for building works on our house here, so the "fine print" will matter to us.
    Last edited by Oracle; 27-05-2020 at 12:47 PM.

I have a question.
    Hopefully no one.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Very fair Moley. The unemployment figures would rocket!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    I have a question.
    I do worry about the potential for Covid 19 infection from the rigmarole of flying - all those queues at the airport, the enclosed space in the plane, the queues at the other end - of course they will have a good look at the risks prior to opening up to air travel again, but balancing it against the ongoing economic losses will be the problem.

incidentally, does anyone have any insider-info (or simply wild speculation!) as to when races might start again?

Things in general seem to be ramping up across the country... but all i know from official sources is that all group athletic activities are currently on hold until end of June at least. (i'd be fairly surprised if we don't see an EA/UKA update on that in the next week (either good or bad news)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    incidentally, does anyone have any insider-info (or simply wild speculation!) as to when races might start again?

Things in general seem to be ramping up across the country... but all i know from official sources is that all group athletic activities are currently on hold until end of June at least. (i'd be fairly surprised if we don't see an EA/UKA update on that in the next week (either good or bad news)
    I saw something from Parkrun saying that all parkruns would remain suspended until at least the end of June.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Banned
    Let's hope the airports and boarders are sorted by mid July.

Banned
    True. But the flights are almost empty, we travelled back on a plane with only 20 others. I donÂ’t expect it to be much fuller when we go back mid June. Airports are almost empty.

Problem is that the margin is tiny. Flights need to be full to avoid crashing loss. That’s ok in Germany , France and US that have massively subsidised the goverment decision inflicted losses. Not so uk where our government is sticking two fingers up at entrepreneurs generally and airlines in particular. Not just here, take Ryanair refuse to run middle seat empty because of lack of financial support

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I do worry about the potential for Covid 19 infection from the rigmarole of flying - all those queues at the airport, the enclosed space in the plane, the queues at the other end - of course they will have a good look at the risks prior to opening up to air travel again, but balancing it against the ongoing economic losses will be the problem.
    Last edited by Oracle; 27-05-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Probably even longer

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I saw something from Parkrun saying that all parkruns would remain suspended until at least the end of June.
    If they say social distancing is probably here for months yet, how do you organise a race? Even if they reduce it to a metre it would be a logistical nightmare.