Page 95 of 357 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

I think a risk assessment to see if the race can go ahead would suffice.... I stand corrected but I'm sure RO's must do some form of risk assessment for insurances purposes.

Obviously alongside some restrictions/guidelines as decided by the powers that be)

For example perhaps a race like Borrowdale couldn't go ahead this year, with several hundred runners all charging to a gridlock within 200 yards.

But for example Edale Skyline where the start line is quite well spread, and it's a good uphill run until I recall any kind of bottleneck, could go ahead.

I'm potentially travelling to the Lakes in July (accommodation permitting) with the faint hope of the Old Crown Round (although more likely will be a training run).

They usually get about 40 runners, and there's multiple route choices over each leg of the course, which covers a fairly significant area. I do struggle to see why that couldn't go ahead with following of some basic guidelines covering start and finish areas.

That would not work because the fastest runners would have to go first to avoid overtaking so the slowest would be last to start. The marshals would be out for even longer.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think a risk assessment to see if the race can go ahead would suffice.... I stand corrected but I'm sure RO's must do some form of risk assessment for insurances purposes.

Obviously alongside some restrictions/guidelines as decided by the powers that be)

For example perhaps a race like Borrowdale couldn't go ahead this year, with several hundred runners all charging to a gridlock within 200 yards.

But for example Edale Skyline where the start line is quite well spread, and it's a good uphill run until I recall any kind of bottleneck, could go ahead.
    If I were to risk assess my Relays that are normally last Thursday evening in June at this moment in time it would be:

Hazard - COVID 19
    Risk - Possibility of infection from another competitor, official, spectator or member of the public.
    Risk Rating - Low
    What control measures can be put in place - don't come if you are concerned about this. Anyone with any symptoms of illness advised not to attend in any capacity. No officials/marshalls over the age of 65 will be involved.

But of course I would need the Govt's general assessment done first, allowing me to make my localised one and then the participants to make their own personal assessment.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I'm listening to an interesting discussion on YouTube this morning.

LIVE with Littlewood - worth checking out if like me you are struggling for something in the background at the moment.

Douglas Carswell is on.

The regs now allow your cleaner to come in, and in fact the elderly lady across the road from me has one, and I'd noticed that she has now returned to work.

So I'm considering employing my daughter from Warrington as my cleaner. She can then come up once a week to my house and "clean" for 3 hours.

As car showrooms can now open, I'm also going to advertise my car, but only on my son-in-law's facebook page. He can then come up and inspect the car, negotiate to buy, we can refuse to reach agreement, and he can return home. I take my car off the market.

If they co-ordinate, they can car share

Just a few of the anomalies that the regulations create. Come on, get the bloody thing lifted. It's bonkers.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Stagger the runner in ability.

What's the race in the lakes in February that does that. Working out your time from previous races.

Might be the Jaunt??
    That's the Jarret Jaunt - trouble is that if the handicap works as intended everyone should be together in the closing stages of the race, so it would shift the crowding from the start to the finish. It doesn't always work like that in practice though and I suppose some slight modifications would keep most people apart. But part of the fun of it was being caught by faster runners and seeing how long you could hang on.

Match angling has just been given the green light by the government to start again, probably the first competitive sport involving a lot of people gathered in one place.

Angling Trust negotiated it so maybe fell running races could follow if the FRA can put a case and guidelines that would make it acceptable.

Quote: "Robust new best practice guidelines published by the Angling Trust to bring match fishing in line with COVID-19 procedures have now been agreed by the government as a basis for competitions to resume immediately. These include no gathering of competitors for the draw or prize giving and special equipment and arrangements to maintain social distancing during the weigh-in."

https://www.anglingtrust.net/news.as...mpetition+News
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Never mind fishing Moley, when is Wales going to be open so that I can go "home"!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    To put a smoke screen up to detract from Cummings the government is launching its track and trace system.

Highly hilarious as it says we must follow the rules.

Mmmmm wonder who thought that up.

My thoughts on being told by the government have now diminished.

I'm a grown man with a bit of common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    To put a smoke screen up to detract from Cummings the government is launching its track and trace system.
    I think they may have been launching it anyway Stagger.

Highly hilarious as it says we must follow the rules.

Mmmmm wonder who thought that up.

My thoughts on being told by the government have now diminished.

I'm a grown man with a bit of common sense.
    What will you do if you receive a call from one of the contract tracers asking you to self-isolate for 14 days?