Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covid 19 advice

I've been made aware of an issue with a Race Entry. This doesn't affect me personally, but this is a serious issue.

A runner, who is exempt form wearing a face covering, has had an entry cancelled.

The race information said that if you are exempt, you should provide proof. Because the athlete informed the RO that they would not be wearing a mask and would not be providing proof.

It is not good enough to state "please bring proof of your exemption" because proof doesn't exist.

The Government gives guidance on exemptions.
    The HSE also.

They both make it clear exemption is a personal self-certification.

The FRA need to urgently review this. I might have missed it, but there seems no guidance on how to manage mask exemptions for competitors, or marshalls come to that.

There has to be a reasonable, non-discriminatory way to handle this tactfully.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I am sure the overwhelming majority of us support the right of the RO to set whatever requirements he or she sees fit. But I can see a problem if what they ask for doesn't exist - except maybe in a self certificated form instead of an official legal document. However I suspect there is a degree of mischief making going on here. If the runner is unable to wear a mask for genuine reasons instead of informing the RO that he won't be wearing one and won't be bringing proof why on earth not just contact the RO and say they are sorry they are unable to wear a mask, what form of 'proof' is acceptable to you for me to bring?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I am sure the overwhelming majority of us support the right of the RO to set whatever requirements he or she sees fit. But I can see a problem if what they ask for doesn't exist - except maybe in a self certificated form instead of an official legal document. However I suspect there is a degree of mischief making going on here. If the runner is unable to wear a mask for genuine reasons instead of informing the RO that he won't be wearing one and won't be bringing proof why on earth not just contact the RO and say they are sorry they are unable to wear a mask, what form of 'proof' is acceptable to you for me to bring?
    Far too sensible.

[QUOTE=Witton Park;674083]I've been made aware of an issue with a Race Entry.

As you refer to a "Race Entry" WP I suspect that this is not a Fell Race entry.

I doubt very much this would happen at a Fell Race but if a runner presented themselves with that attitude I
    would like to think the RO would tell him or her to go and be awkward somewhere else!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;674106]
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I've been made aware of an issue with a Race Entry.

As you refer to a "Race Entry" WP I suspect that this is not a Fell Race entry.

I doubt very much this would happen at a Fell Race but if a runner presented themselves with that attitude I
    would like to think the RO would tell him or her to go and be awkward somewhere else!
    It's a fell race. And to be frank if you check out the Facebook thread on the matter, it makes me wonder what these fell runners would have made of an HIV runner 30 years ago. Lacking in empathy is underplaying it.

I know the runner and I know the background and I'm not going to set out his issue here, but it is a rare, but real issue that I'm glad isn't my burden to carry.

No mischief. I have every sympathy for the RO being one myself. If you offer a route to exempt runners though don't offer one that isn't feasible.

As someone close to a mask exempt person, I know the daily shit they go through.
    Imagine you volunteer for a daily test just so you can enter your workplace, but people who don't, but wear a piece of cloth over their face think they are more covid secure and certainly of higher standing than you. That's every day for momths. Workplace apartheid approved by the management and condoned by the State.

So faced with 10 months or so of that, and you see an RO perhaps through naivety asking you for proof, you might not be so diplomatic in your correspondence.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I don't know how I've quoted my own - meant to quote LB's
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

OK WP, I don't think anyone on here won't accept that some people have genuine legitimate reasons for not being able to wear a mask and I don't doubt that the runner you know is one of them. What seems off to me is still that on the facts presented the communication with the RO still seems intended to provoke a reaction. It's just a shame they didn't take a more cooperative approach in which case the RO might very well have welcomed them to their race.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    OK WP, I don't think anyone on here won't accept that some people have genuine legitimate reasons for not being able to wear a mask and I don't doubt that the runner you know is one of them. What seems off to me is still that on the facts presented the communication with the RO still seems intended to provoke a reaction. It's just a shame they didn't take a more cooperative approach in which case the RO might very well have welcomed them to their race.
    You may have a point Mark, he was probably a little too blunt in the email, but in light of the circumstances, now the FRA are aware of the problem I hope they clarify the situation for other ROs.

It makes no odds to me and 90 odd % of the potential entrants, but for those who've been vilified for 9-10 months because they can't wear a face covering, maybe there's every reason for them to feel a little exasperated in the circumstances.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell