Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

Peris Horseshoe

Are many doing this?

A classic long race, I think it's a better race than the Welsh 1000m, which feels more of a trail race somehow. A real hard race.

I wasn't meant to, but due to don't have clearance to play for my new team yet, so have that weekend free so will now definately be doing it.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Iain

Re: Peris Horseshoe

Is this on the 15th September? (I don't have my calendar with me at work).

If so, I'm already torn between Lantern Pike & Three Shires.

Peris is definitely on my 'to do' list, though.

Yes, Saturday. A good race, well organised and a good if gruelling route with a real nasty finish, and equally nasty final descent. If you did the descent after 3 miles it would be great, after 15 and it's hell.

I sent my entry off ages ago but the cheque hasn't been cashed...they probably don't want me to race as I've not done a AL before...despite the begging letter.
    Last edited by jimbob; 06-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.

I actually enjoyed that descent off cynghorion, Iain! Anyway, won't be doing this race or any other for a fair while. These shin splints need plenty of time to recover. They've plagued my year and I'm fed up with limping along with poles. Have a good race. You'll know it well enough now.

Last year I was in agony. Used some new gels and had muscle cramps in quads, hamstrings and stomach. I think last years was the hardest race I've ever done. I felt more tired at the end of that than I did after the Paddy Buckley.

Agree with the comments about this one being tough! Certainly much harder than Borrowdale which seems to be a popular yardstick on this forum and definitely harder than W1000M.
    Not done Wasdale or Arrochar Alps which are also well up there on the 'toughie' top 10.

I can remember the feeling of impending doom crawling up Lliwedd! And its a long way to go after that!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Jimbob Phone the organiser and try and persuade him. But it's a serious race that does take you into some very serious territory. If on your own on soem sections in clag it can be quite confusing.

The only bits I don't know are the quarry up to Elidir Fawr and the last bit once you leave the Ranger for Cynghorion/Bwlch Maesgwm. Other than those I'm pretty confident with the lay of the land and I went over Y Garn/Glyders a couple of weeks ago as a refresher. Having said that, I'm in two minds at the moment after twisting my back on Saturday lifting bags of compost into the boot of the car.

The only hard section early on is getting the line from the top of the quarries to Elidir fawr. But you'll probably have people around you that early on. Snowdon to Cynghorien is OK, just follow the railway to the finger stone, then down the Rangers path, then follow the fence once you see it which goes to the summit of Cynghorien.

I'd call him and explain. I think these rules are for pure runners who won't have been in such environments before, so people who know the hills well as walkers and climbers will be OK.