Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

What a race... you often hear that Borrowdale is the 'perfect' race, but in my opinion Peris stands head and shoulders above anything else (granted it's a step up from Borrowdale and possibly not within the reach of some who could get round Borrowdale).

Pretty much perfect conditions today, absolutely clear, cool on the tops, only minor issue was a bit of a headwind on some sections, but in comparison to last year it was heaven.

Made a planned fast start, and was just off the back of the lead group going up the zigzags and onto Elidr. The leaders, to a man, took what appeared a more direct route, but I followed my route from last year and beared right a bit, meeting up with the other route at the fence line before the final pull to the summit. Perhaps they were just moving faster, but this seemed to cost me 2-3 minutes, and as expected I never really saw them again after that.

I reached Glyder in around 15th-18th position, but despite the clear weather I seemed to make a bit of a hash of the descent to Pen-Y-Pass, going too far left, and by the time I hit my water bottle supply on the Miners Track I was down to 23rd. I rallied back up Lliwedd, but then tried a 'clever' contour round the first Lliwedd Peak, went way too low, and shipped all those positions again. Going up Snowdon I went direct up the east face, a new one for me, I don't think it's any worse than following the Watkin Path, and certainly a bit quicker. Once again I made a bit of a hash going down the Snowdon Ranger path, trying a few shortcuts that went badly, and found myself back in about 31st. A steady climb up Cynghorion and managed to pull a place back on the final descent, despite shot legs.

Finished in 4:35 which is a pb by almost exactly half an hour, so I shouldn't be anything other than very pleased. But a tinge of disappointment as I must have shipped at least 10 minutes through poor route choice on the ground, and once you give people of a similar ability that many head-starts, eventually you can't pull it back. A look at the results and a 10-15 minute improvement would have seen me troubling the top 20, but 30th it was to be.

Amusingly there was also a trail race on in Llanberis, and really it highlighted the vast difference between trail runners and fell runners. Most of the trail runners were resplendent in pristine calf and arm guards, headphones, latest gear, etc. I can't understand how so many of them thought the Peris finish was the finish of their race. Surely if they started in the park in Llanberis, which was covered in Inov8 banners, a huge fishing area, bar etc, they couldn't all think that a couple of guys in hi-viz jackets on the Snowdon path was the finish of their race. One guy even complained to the Peris finish marshalls that his race was poorly organised... tosser.... flipping heck mate, you were at the wrong finish, and you had a marked course. Not to mention their course was vastly inferior. and they had paid £50 for the privelidge.

Great day, can't miss this one, and I sorely hope it doesn't clash with LDMT next year... that is a 'fishwick' I'd prefer not to attempt....
    Last edited by Travs; 29-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.

I am a very average fell runner and getting into the top half would be good for me. I done the tour de helvellyn a couple of years ago and only for me sticking with my brother until Grisdale Tarn, I would have been up in the top third. So from that analysis of one person , fell runners are also better runners.

Nice going Travs. I rate my one completion of that race as a highlight of 30 years of fell competition. It certainly ranks as the hardest. And I agree with you, Borrowdale is a mere 'Amuse Bouche' in comparison (not to denigrate another fabulous race). Your potted story brings it all back to me. Thanks for that. Anything under 5 hours is an immense result!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I'm doing the TdeH in December... although it doesn't really ascend the top of any fells, or really go off-path, i think it is at the 'fell' end of the trail-running scale... given the amount of climb (6-7000ft?) and the usually pretty gnarly weather conditions, and climbs of Sticks Pass, Askham Fell, Grisedale Tarn, Boredale Hause… I think a grizzled fell runner would generally fare quite well there.

Not wanting to bash people who do trail-running, but it just seems a bit of nothing to me.... road runners have their thing, fell runners have their thing, and trail running just seems to be lost in the middle. Perhaps that is also why it's so popular, as it's off the roads, but doesn't necessarily have the severity of climbing and descending you get on the fells.

A look at the splits on Peris shows a bit of a tale of woe for me. 11th onto Elidr, immediately lost 3 places getting down of the rocky top of Elidr. Despite running the Glyder-PyP descent 2 minutes faster than last year, i took a poor line and actually lost 8 places. Lost 3 places descending Lliwedd, and a bit of route error down the Ranger Path.

Pretty much shows that i need to learn to travel a lot faster on the harshest rocky ground, e.g off Lliwedd and the top of Elidr. Not cocking up the PyP descent would also have helped.
    Last edited by Travs; 03-10-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Getting a good line off the Glyders is really tricky. I remember a nav guide was a white rock (a big chunk of quartz) near to Llyn Cmwfynnon. This got you over the blind ridge to a point just above the Youth Hostel. By Lliwedd exhaustion is really biting hard. I cant remember too much after that apart from the searing pain running off Moel Cynghorion! What a beast!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

The descent off Moel Cynghorion has changed in the past few years. You now go direct off the north end of the fell, down to Helfa farm, and then up the farm track toward Hebron Station and the main Snowdon path, cutting across the fields and railway line back to the finish.

No idea how it compares to the previous descent, but it's nasty enough when your legs are gone. it would probably be fantastic early on in a race. I actually made a place up on this descent this year, but last year i recall being nearly overtaken by a fellwalker.

As for the descent off Glyder, i was a couple of hundred yards too far to the left, almost heading down into the basin containing the Llyn. I realised i had made a bit of an error, and then attempted to correct it with a mad dash across some pretty steep and slippery ground. Unfortunately some guy behind me had decided to follow my route, and obviously was a bit unsure as he slowed to stay behind me each time i hesitated. When i decided to make my route correction, he clearly didn't fancy it and didn't follow my traverse. I never saw him again. Hope he's not still trying to find his way down...

Any date for this year's race yet?

I’ve heard Saturday 28th Sept but not seen anything to confirm this...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I’ve heard Saturday 28th Sept but not seen anything to confirm this...
    Yes, I emailed the organiser earlier this year and he confirmed 28th Sept.

Entries open on Fabian4. Although there are always entries on the day available...

Preaching to the converted on here... but this is as much a “must do” as Wasdale, Jura, Ennerdale.