Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Peris Horseshoe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Peris Horseshoe

Are many doing this?

A classic long race, I think it's a better race than the Welsh 1000m, which feels more of a trail race somehow. A real hard race.

I wasn't meant to, but due to don't have clearance to play for my new team yet, so have that weekend free so will now definately be doing it.

Looking forward to it.

Cheers

Iain

Re: Peris Horseshoe

Is this on the 15th September? (I don't have my calendar with me at work).

If so, I'm already torn between Lantern Pike & Three Shires.

Peris is definitely on my 'to do' list, though.

Yes, Saturday. A good race, well organised and a good if gruelling route with a real nasty finish, and equally nasty final descent. If you did the descent after 3 miles it would be great, after 15 and it's hell.

I sent my entry off ages ago but the cheque hasn't been cashed...they probably don't want me to race as I've not done a AL before...despite the begging letter.
    Last edited by jimbob; 06-09-2007 at 04:14 PM.

I actually enjoyed that descent off cynghorion, Iain! Anyway, won't be doing this race or any other for a fair while. These shin splints need plenty of time to recover. They've plagued my year and I'm fed up with limping along with poles. Have a good race. You'll know it well enough now.

Last year I was in agony. Used some new gels and had muscle cramps in quads, hamstrings and stomach. I think last years was the hardest race I've ever done. I felt more tired at the end of that than I did after the Paddy Buckley.

Jimbob Phone the organiser and try and persuade him. But it's a serious race that does take you into some very serious territory. If on your own on soem sections in clag it can be quite confusing.

The only bits I don't know are the quarry up to Elidir Fawr and the last bit once you leave the Ranger for Cynghorion/Bwlch Maesgwm. Other than those I'm pretty confident with the lay of the land and I went over Y Garn/Glyders a couple of weeks ago as a refresher. Having said that, I'm in two minds at the moment after twisting my back on Saturday lifting bags of compost into the boot of the car.

Master

Peris Horseshoe

Hi

I am new to this game and forum, but am looking towards starting my BGR training following a narrow miss last year(I retired at Honister in 21 hours 15 mins). I have decided to switch some of my training to N Wales for variety and have seen the Peris Horseshoe.However despite googling I cant find the route or even the sequence of summits it takes in. Can anyone fill me in with this.

PS my BGR attempt was June 9th starting 2am at Keswick. I was surprissed to see no one else and dont tghink anyone else attempted that day? The weather was the best of the summer, perhaps a little too hot. I had very littel support and was often solo which was a mistake I guess. I couldnt believe the size of one persons support team when I saw them on Gable on 21st July. I cant imagine getting such a big crew togther and anticipate next year to have little support. Are there any others out there who find that getting like minded people to go with them is tricky? I live in Nottingham, not exactly a hot bed of fell running. I only took up running in Sept 2006 so havent met others with the same obsession!!

Description here,

http://www.btinternet.com/~alantudur.../530eperis.htm

Check points in bold:

Llanberis up inclines and quarry track top top of quarry, over or round Elidir Fach > Elidir Fawr > Y Garn (so miss out Foel Goch) > Glyder Fawr > Pen Y Pass (down red spot path initially then off left in directish line) > LLiwedd > Snowdon (direct ascent up East Ridge or Watkins (slower))> Moel Cynghorion (down Ranger path then fence line after Cloggy) > Llanberis (straight down face of Cynghorion to Maesgwm sheep folds and back through fields to Coed Victoria) and the main road which is the finish.

Oh and join a fell running club or ask on here to get people to accompany you on runs/recces.

People are always willing to help out on Bob Grahams/ Paddy Buckleys etc.